Losing weight in a house full of snacks

Options
I have 2 kids (3 if you count my husband) who all have various sugary, high calorie snacks laying around the house, from fruit snacks to lunchables, cookies, poptarts, etc... How do you avoid temptation when eating healthy takes more time, more effort, and has zero flavor payoff compared to sweet treats?

I have NO self control. Any tips on restraint?

Replies

• GlamGoals66
    GlamGoals66 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Deviette wrote: »
    First off: If you think that eating healthy tastes boring, then you're eating the wrong things! There's loads of really delicious "healthy" foods out there.

2nd: Weigh loss doesn't require you to eat a certain way. You don't have to cut out a bunch of food that you used to eat. All you have to do is eat less of it. Most of us on here don't abstain from certain foods just because they're calorie dense, we just eat less of them. Some find that certain foods are "trigger foods" and those are the ones that you keep out of your house, but other than that, there is nothing wrong with eating calorie dense food in moderation.

3rd: Just because you have children, does not mean you have to have loads of sweet snacks in the house. Excuse me as I make a possibly completely unfair assumption here, but if you do the shopping/cooking in your house, you just don't buy those things that you don't want to eat. Replace them with something else or reduce the amount you buy. Try making sweet snacks an exception, not the norm.

Any chance you can give me healthier snack ideas? I normally just munch throughout the day on whatever I got for the kids, because everyone is on a different nap/school/playtime/bedtime schedule (tried to rearrange them to match better, but the toddler and big kid have VERY different needs)

The kids end up eating super balanced and healthy meals (minus snack times) but I hardly have time to even microwave a Lean Cuisine while trying to manage everyone else. Husband helps when he can, but he often has to work from home AFTER an 8hr day already at work.

Perhaps you know something that may just keep me full longer instead of low calorie? To avoid binging?
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Low cal-snacks include raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, tangerines, cucumber, celery, carrots, hard-boiled eggs, cheese sticks, small apples, cottage cheese, grape or cherry tomatoes, half an avocado, small yogurts, applesauce.

It's worth examining why you are binging. Are you eating out of boredom? Habit? Distraction? Actual hunger? If it's hunger, then get some snacks with fiber and protein (like the above). If it's boredom or habit, find something that distracts you - like looking up in MyFitnessPal how many calories that snack is and then deciding if it's worth it.

I do all the grocery shopping in my house and I don't buy high-sugar or high-cal snacks. My husband recently asked for Froot Loops, which I did as an exception (thankfully I did not have any), but I went right back to Cheerios the week after. I also package my snacks every night when I pack my lunch, weigh them all, and put them in the next day's log so I can see how many calories I'm eating. It doesn't take very long to do this, maybe 10-15 minutes at most if something is complicated.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Just because the house is full of snacks doesn't mean you need to eat em :blush:
    My motto is: out of sight, out of mind - so if seeing them means you want them, get them put out of the way.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, you just have to decide not to eat them OR figure out how to make them fit into your calories if those snacks are important to you. Once I learned to prioritize food based on my calorie goal, it was a lot easier to resist those temptations.
  • LeGypsyRov
    LeGypsyRov Posts: 36 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    It's like this at my house: I made it clear we were getting healthier. If they wanted snacks that weren't, they had to keep them in a shoe box hidden from me. The cupboards only keep healthy foods. My philosophy is if it's not in the house, I can't eat it.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Deviette wrote: »
    First off: If you think that eating healthy tastes boring, then you're eating the wrong things! There's loads of really delicious "healthy" foods out there.

2nd: Weigh loss doesn't require you to eat a certain way. You don't have to cut out a bunch of food that you used to eat. All you have to do is eat less of it. Most of us on here don't abstain from certain foods just because they're calorie dense, we just eat less of them. Some find that certain foods are "trigger foods" and those are the ones that you keep out of your house, but other than that, there is nothing wrong with eating calorie dense food in moderation.

3rd: Just because you have children, does not mean you have to have loads of sweet snacks in the house. Excuse me as I make a possibly completely unfair assumption here, but if you do the shopping/cooking in your house, you just don't buy those things that you don't want to eat. Replace them with something else or reduce the amount you buy. Try making sweet snacks an exception, not the norm.

Any chance you can give me healthier snack ideas? I normally just munch throughout the day on whatever I got for the kids, because everyone is on a different nap/school/playtime/bedtime schedule (tried to rearrange them to match better, but the toddler and big kid have VERY different needs)

The kids end up eating super balanced and healthy meals (minus snack times) but I hardly have time to even microwave a Lean Cuisine while trying to manage everyone else. Husband helps when he can, but he often has to work from home AFTER an 8hr day already at work.

Perhaps you know something that may just keep me full longer instead of low calorie? To avoid binging?

My go-tos are Fiber One bars, individually-wrapped ice cream treats (like frozen Greek yogurt pops. Or, just discovered mini Rollo ice cream treats), roasted chickpeas, dry cereal, string cheese, veggie dogs, and Skinny Pop popcorn. Occasionally other stuff too.
  • GlamGoals66
    GlamGoals66 Posts: 8 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    LKArgh wrote: »
    Why would you feed your own kids junk food in such amounts? If something is not good for your diet, it most certainly is not good for the kids either. One thing to have a treat here and there, another to stock junkfood. Why not lead by example and teach the kids that a perfect snach can be a fruit, a yoghurt, some nuts, cheese and so on?

My kids only get junk food at snack times. One in the morning, one in the afternoon for the toddler, and only one in the afternoon for the big kid. And it's mostly not cookies and brownies, (treats like that are more for rewards, bust still in the house) it's more goldfish crackers and cheerios with the occassional oreo. Just generally very carby/caloric foods that are fine as a snack, but not so much to fill my entire diet. (And the toddler loves cheese, but hasn't figured out the spoon just yet to manage yogurt without coating the entire kitchen in a layer, but hates me feeding her because "I'm big and can do it myself!"

I basically just can't stop once I start eating, and have no time to eat more than finger foods. Impulse control is my biggest issue. I see those crackers, tell myself one or 2 is fine, then end up eating the whole pack.