From couch to half ironman world championships

Options
I could have never known where this journey I am on would lead when I started. When I started all I wanted was to be a better version of myself. To not be ashamed of how I looked in pictures and have terrible anxiety anytime I got a notification that someone tagged me in some picture on Facebook.

I didn't start out by being a triathlete, or even knowing what an Ironman was. When I started I didn't run, couldn't swim and didn't own a bike. I started out by wanting change. I bought a little fitbit and walked my *kitten* off, literally. When it was taking me too long to get the 20k steps I was wanting per day I started running because I thought that would be a more efficient way to get the number of steps I wanted.

Running lead to racing, and two years ago in 2016 I bought a bike and joined a gym to layer in swimming and biking to my regimen. My first time in the pool I thought it was going to be impossible, I couldn't even make it across the pool one time without stopping, and my first ride on my bike I had to walk my bike about a half mile home because I had no idea how to downshift it into a smaller gear. Failure is a big part of this journey. Failing at swimming, failing at biking, blowing up in races. If you fail who cares? Triathlon and life isn't success only, if you wait for everything to be right before attempting something you may end up waiting forever and never starting.

This last month I flew to South Africa to compete against the fittest triathletes in the world, something I never would have thought I would be doing. I worked, I earned my spot, because I know that its true that anything is possible.

6ydyb5hoschx.jpeg
m4l2fekvvo9i.jpeg

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic success story! Thanks for sharing this and congratulations on how far you've come. You look great and so happy.
  • bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Wow this is really inspiring! Thanks for sharing.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Wow! So inspiring! I still struggle with cardiovascular health and I have to remember it's just one step at a time.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Growing up I watched the Ironman competitions in awe. What an inspiration you are!
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    that's incredible learning is a never ending lesson and you are proof of that. thanks for sharing
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Wow :o
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Wow.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Well done and congratulations, you look magnificent.

To compete in an ironman is no mean feat (I have a son that has competed in a few), to build up your training in just 2 years shows incredible dedication.

My hat is off to you.

Cheers, h.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I bet this experience has filtered into other aspects of you life. I'm sure you now know you can accomplish anything. What a well written story that proves you don't have to have a whole game plan, you just have to get into the game and not give up. amazing. and congratulations.
  • QueenBee2018
    QueenBee2018 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Just WOW. Thanks for sharing!
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Wow, that might be one of the most inspiring things I've read so far! Excellent work!
  • Styggian
    Styggian Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    amazing story and results, congratulations
  • winn9524
    winn9524 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Congrats dude! What an accomplishment!
  • times60
    times60 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    An amazing story. Congratulations on your success. It is very inspiring. Thank you for sharing
  • fbcarlson
    fbcarlson Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    So amazing! Congratulations on the transformation!
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Wow, well done!!!!
    I’m at the “teaching myself how to run” stage because walking for exercise is becoming less of a challenge.
    Would love to run a 5k one day, and you’ve definitely inspired me to think that maybe I actually can do it!!!
  • 4bugsmama
    4bugsmama Posts: 2,875 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration. And absolutely correct - trying and failing then trying again until you get it right is far better than never trying. Congrats on your successes!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    OMG that is so great! I swam the first leg of a tri sprint relay team last month, came home and bought a bike, hooked! So proud of you and will be cheering for you!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Wow Amazing story!
  • evergreenlakegirl
    evergreenlakegirl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your journey.... I smiled when you said you didn’t run- swim- bike and how you moved forward
    Truly inspiring- you look great and I’m sure feel great too - physically and emotionally
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!