Calories burned sitting & sleeping

Fairly new to the app and wondered if I should be adding calories burned sleeping/sitting at work (calculated using external web formula) to my daily diary exercise log for a more complete understanding of what my calorie intake versus calories burned is; it's clearly going to say I can eat more! Any help understanding the best way to use the app is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    No. Those are included in your daily deficit.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Don’t add them. The app has already accounted for them when you set up your account.

If you want to see what it estimates you burn through daily activity just switch it to maintenance and then switch it back.
  • LGP74
    LGP74 Posts: 8 Member
    I don't recall entering any sleep or sitting details during setup so how does the app know/calculate what I have/haven't done without my adding it. Clearly I'm new to all of this and its probably dead simple to understand... maybe if I wasn't being dead simple that is!!!!!
  • LGP74
    Apart from my physical detail stuff the only thing I recall choosing was my likely exercise level during my goal period... unless that is, if I clicked away and didn't read something properly.
  • LGP74
    Is there a link to where that's all explained? Thanks in advance!
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    That's covered when you selected your activity level.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    LGP74 wrote: »
    I don't recall entering any sleep or sitting details during setup so how does the app know/calculate what I have/haven't done without my adding it. Clearly I'm new to all of this and its probably dead simple to understand... maybe if I wasn't being dead simple that is!!!!!

They use a formula that takes into account your age, height, and weight to determine your Basal Metabolic Rate. Then they add a few extra calories to that based on the activity level you selected.
  • LGP74
    Thanks for that. Other than what I've already mentioned is there anything else covered which I shouldn't add? Last thing I want to do is distort the readings either way.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Thanks for that. Other than what I've already mentioned is there anything else covered which I shouldn't add? Last thing I want to do is distort the readings either way.

Don't add anything that is normal day to day life, like cooking, driving, standard housework, etc, etc. Basically, set your activity level according to your job, only add deliberate exercise on top of that (unless you have a fitness device synced with MFP, in which case that will do all the work for you).
  • LGP74
    Thanks for the advice guys. I must admit I was previously sceptical of the calorie calcs considering the amount of calories that can be burned when standing for hours on end, which I do regularly. I began to think that I might be under calculating and therefore under eating!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Set your activity level for your daily life. Then log your purposeful workouts only. Eat back about half the exercise calories added. Track your trend for at least a month then reevaluate if adjustments are needed.
  • LGP74
    Thanks all, great advice and I appreciate your time in giving it!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    BTW I don't recommend sleeping at work. Most employers tend to frown on that......😁
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Thanks for the advice guys. I must admit I was previously sceptical of the calorie calcs considering the amount of calories that can be burned when standing for hours on end, which I do regularly. I began to think that I might be under calculating and therefore under eating!

if you were you would be losing weight really quickly.

pick a calorie goal, stick with it for 4-6 weeks, tweak if necessary based on what the scale does.