Large guy losing a steady 3-4lb a week. Ok?

Options
Hey gang, started back the health kick 8 weeks ago.ive been attending slimming world groups and counting my calories on here. I shouldn't need to do both but I'm interested the amount of calories sw lifestyle is giving me.

The first few weeks were slow as I my dad died and was poorly before hand. I still kept it together but losses were 1 or 2lb a week. After about 3 weeks I started using intermittent fasting. It's a great way to stop me snacking in an evening. Any way I've been mega focused and pretty strict with myself.

I don't eat between 6pm and 10am which suits me. I'm working out fasted at about 9. 3 times a week.

Anyway the last month or so I've had 6lb loss, 5lb 3lb and 4lb which I'm prettybhappy about. I've been trying to eat my fitness pal calories but sometimes a few hundred out. If I work out I can be over a 1000 out.

Can my body keep up with this weight loss? I'm physically getting full cos I'm hammering low calories fruits and vegetables. I know it will eventually slow but I'd have expected it go have slowed by now. I typically eat around 1700 calories a day but I'm supposed to be eating 1990 before exercise.

Replies

• Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I should add I was 21 stone. I'm now 19 and a half.
  • RespiratoryScot
    RespiratoryScot Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am a strong believer in trusting how your body feels ... listen to it! If you're losing the weight and feeling good, I don't see any concern, especially since it sounds like you are getting some well-rounded nutrition!

I have lost up to about 3 pounds a week for several months (using an approach similar to ketogenic), and never had any ill effects. I felt great, and then finally plateaued (after losing 65 lbs), none of it with issues.

I also think the "safe" route is always to follow up with a healthcare provider if you have any concerns :smile:

Congratulations on the weight loss!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    On days you workout you need to be eating more calories.

If you selected the right activity level for yourself and assuming your daily calories are based on 2lbs a week, your calorie deficit would drive you to just over 3lbs per week. 250ish x 7 is .5lb more a week and the additional 750ish for 3 days is .64lbs per week.

Your higher loss weeks may be a result of water weight losses that are just now catching up because of your exercise or 1900 is too low of a target for you which is very possible.

You run the risk of burning muscle when your deficit is too steep because your body can only metabolize a certain amount of body fat for fuel each day.

You need a sustainable plan and being really strict with yourself is usually a recipe for failure. You need to be eating more calories because 2 months is not long enough to judge how you are responding to undereating. "Trusting how your body feels" is not always a good indicator of how healthy you are. Just because your body is not complaining doesn't mean that everything is fine.

I think you started this thread because a part of you knows this rate of loss is too much. You need to slow down to 2 and no more than 2.5lbs per week.

• Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thanks scot.

I've been trying to eat plenty of nutritious foods as I'm finding when I'm fasting it's harder to resist food as I get more cravings eating junk. In my eating window into eat what I want really within my calories but I'm finding my appetite isn't quite what it was, especially eating masses of vegetables and fruits.

I guess it's like you said listening to your body.

Like yesterday, it was my brother in law birthday and we went out for pizza. I ended up having a coat bread pizza. So it wasn't strictchly on slimming world plan as such but because I had calories I was on.

For me keto sounds like a step too far go follow when I've got other things going on. I know a lot of people who Intermittent fast use keto low carb high fats but it's quite strict.

I guess I'll just keep going and try not to get disheartened when my loses slow. (Something I find hard to deal with)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    You've made a great start and you're asking good questions and getting good advice. You should try to eat nearer to your calorie allowance, fat loss is what you're after rather than too much muscle along with the fat - that's why slower is better in general. Losing weight is not a sprint, its a marathon.

Sorry about your dad.

Wishing you all the best for your weight loss.

Ruth