NEW SNEAKERS HELP!

Options
Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to eat better although this weekend I did HORRIBLE. Anyway we have a treadmill that is collecting dust so I just started using it. My goal each day is to walk minimum 30 minutes on it. I'm really trying to lose at least 20 lbs. I've only been doing it a few days but I noticed after each day I'm so sore and my legs/feet especially. I know it's my sneakers. They were cheap and very very old. Any suggestions that won't break the bank? I'm almost 5'9. My goal is to eventually run a 5k but right now I'm alternating between walking and a light jog. Thanks.

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    The ones that fit the best. That's really the only answer. You'll have to try a bunch on and get a feel for what fits well and what doesn't... or go to a running shop and get fitted.

Most brands make good shoes now, and most brands offer a bunch of different fits and feels... so don't worry so much about one brand vs another.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Not sure what country you're in so what's not expensive in my country might not be the same for you, but, I have always loved my Asics as a running shoe for walking/jogging, some of them are expensive but you can often pick up a pair in the sales/online from as little as £20/E30/$30.

Edited to add, they have different kinds to suit different gaits. I didn't go to a running store to get fitted but have had a gait scan with my chiropractor so got stability trainers based on that or have insoles I can throw in to have them suit.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Bad shoes can wreck your feet and legs. You need good sneakers especially if you plan to run a 5k and train for it. I would suggest going to a good sneaker store. tell them what you plan to do and maybe a budget that you have. They will help narrow down the selection. You can try them all on and compare, even run in them a little before you purchase them. Yes, they will cost a little more but it is so worth it.
    I have ON's they are made in Switzerland. A bit pricey but the best sneakers I have ever owned.
  • missmelis1976
    missmelis1976 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    WOW thanks everyone!
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Second the Asics- I’m learning to run and have just bought a pair from a sports store, and they have great support for me.
    I’d definitely agree that you should talk to someone at a sports store who knows about shoes and can advise you on what you need.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I'm a walker with knee issues and another vote for Asics. Currently https://www.zappos.com/p/asics-gt-1000-6-black-black-silver/product/8873919/color/3764

(While I'm female, I have large, wide feet, so Men's running shoes work better for me.)
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Go to any half decent sports store and try on a few pairs for comfort and fit.

If they are for walking rather than running you don't need to break the bank on high end sneakers / trainers as it is low impact.

If the problems persist you may want to consult a podiatrist.
  • ejg1010
    ejg1010 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Asics! It might be worth going into a sports shop and having your gait analysed. Then depending on how reasonably priced the trainers are in there, you could buy some there and then or look for some online that are correct for your gait.

If you intend to start/improve your running eventually then it's worth investing in some good quality trainers as it's just not worth the hassle for your joints. I just bought a couple of pairs of Asics online in a sale and I can't wait to get them on, so that's another great motivator right there!

Enjoy!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you plan to run, then you need to go to a running store and be fitted for running shoes. Don’t just buy whatever brand works for a few people on the internet. You need a shoe that is appropriate for your body and gait.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I love love love my new allbirds❤
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Saucony!! They’re my all time favorites and always my go to!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    OP, if you're listing to people's recommendations, be aware...

Even within a given brand/manufacturer, shoes can vary significantly in width, support, cushioning, drop, purpose, waterproofing, etc. So even within a given brand, one shoe might be a good choice for you, while the next 5 might be terrible choices.

Yes, I know I like Asics, but only certain models. When they stop making my model I email them to ask what is comparable. If they don't have a comparable model in colors I like, I order a bunch of models from Zappos, who doesn't have a sneaky return policy like Amazon.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/22/amazon-banning-customers-for-too-many-returns/
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to recommend shoes. I have Mizuno and Ryka brand shoes that I love. My sister swears by Brooks. I've never found a pair of Brooks or Asics that fit my feet well at all.

Go to the store and try on a bunch of pairs.

And I also recommend Couch to 5K for beginning runners. That was what I used at first and eventually ended up running a marathon.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    My foot dr only recommends Asics and New Balance. I was a fond follower of Nike until I started experiencing foot pain.

• Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I wear Under Armor shoes that were over $100. They are worth every penny.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I recommend a good pair of "neutral" running shoes that are comfortable, flexible, and provide enough cushion for the surface you want to use them on. Try on a bunch at the store.

The reason I say neutral shoes is because they will allow your natural movement without altering it. I believe that shoes that alter the way a person moves naturally can actually do more harm than good. People will tell you different, but you have been moving the way you move all your life, and using something that is going to change that just does not sound good to me.

If you are not used to walking, your feet and legs are going to go through a period of soreness which is normal. As your legs and feet get stronger that will become less and less.

To warm up, rotate your joints (ankles, knees, hips, back), and do a little "very light" stretching. Cold muscles do not stretch as good.

To cool down, focus mainly on the stretching. Warm muscles stretch much better.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    Saucony!! They’re my all time favorites and always my go to!

These are my favorites too. I went to a sports store and tried on everything in sight. Saucony were the last ones I tried on because of the price. The second they were on my feet, I just knew they were the right ones for me. They are the only ones I buy now.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I like Skechers. I can pretty much put on a brand new pair every time and go with no blisters or foot pain.