127 lbs lost, yet still a failure

Options
I joined this site way back in 2009 when I was 29 and about to turn 30. I was 452 lbs and desperate to make some changes. I had never had a girlfriend and was really motivated to change that. I always wanted to get married and have a family and that wasn't going to happen with my weight. I joined a gym, hired a personal trainer, and logged on this site every single day. There were ups and downs, but it is nearly 10 years later and I have managed to lose keep off 127 lbs. I worked on everything about myself. I worked hard at my career and am now a senior software engineer. My house is well on its way to being paid off. I have saved and saved and have made great progress to my retirement account balances. Over these past 10 years I traveled all over the US and even spent 2 weeks in Europe. I have done all of this alone.

I worked hard at dating too. People always told me that I needed to work on myself and then work on meeting someone and that is what I did. I have tried everything I could think of. I joined pay dating sites as well as the free ones and have gone on many first dates. I always pay and then am told later on that I am not their type. The most recent girl didn't even bother to tell me that though. I showed up at the restaurant for the second date and got stood up. Not a word from her. It ruined my whole weekend. I felt like such a fool. Why does this keep happening? I was patient. It has been nearly 10 years since I started really working on myself and getting to the point I am at. I am so tired of hearing that I need to just be patient or that it will happen. I have been patient. I am 38 now and still have yet to have a girlfriend. I am a 38 year old virgin. I wanted to get married and have a family and that isn't happening. Yeah I did this for myself and my health, but what is the point of being healthy and living a long life when you have to live it alone? I am so unbelievably frustrated. I've done everything I can think of. I have worked very hard and yet somehow I am still the loser failure who comes home to an empty dark house every night and has to eat alone. Or travel alone. Or go to a movie alone. I am so tired of doing everything alone.

What more do I need to do? I feel so defeated as I am quickly approaching 40 now and still don't know what it is like. It isn't as if I am checking in 10 years later and regretting not getting started. I got started and I worked hard. I worked at so many aspects of myself and my life. I just never saw the end goal. I am still incredibly isolated and lonely. This wasn't supposed to be. I am not sure what to do from here and I feel so panicked about it all. I have no plan B for life. I set myself up to be a provider. I even have a savings account that is designated as an "engagement ring account" for when the day came that I would propose to someone. That account has grown and grown and is much more than needed, but I never thought it would stay invested and never get used. I feel like cashing it in and just giving it all to a children's hospital or something. I will never get to use it for what it was planned. I am just so in disbelief that after nearly ten years of working so hard that I am still alone. I cannot believe it. I don't know what else to do.

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here. Dating sites are hit and miss from what I've heard. Some people are dishonest so the match is useless. I have a friend who used a matchmaker and is happily preparing to marry. She is around your age.

My next comment is a question you need to ask yourself... Are you looking for the perfect woman? Most men want the woman who looks like a model. Nothing wrong with that necessarily but some of them tend to be very self-centered. When your whole world revolves around being beautiful it can make you rather one-dimensional. Try dating an ordinary woman. She might not be perfect but if she has interests in common with you that makes all the difference in the world. Join a club of some sort that fits your interests. My son has a friend who married a woman he met at some horror movie thing. They both love that stuff. If you really want a mate you want someone who you can have fun with. Make sure your goals fit as in having children. Not everyone is willing these days.

Good luck! You have already proven that you can achieve anything, don't give up now.
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I completely understand where you're coming from and totally feel you, story of my life! Over the past two years, I've lost 125 pounds and while losing weight has been a marvelous life-changing experience, it does not magically solve every problem in life. It just teaches you how to better deal with any crap that gets thrown your way.

Like you, I'm single and trying to put myself out there, make friends, hopefully meet a guy, and just experience every wonderful thing life has to offer. Unfortunately, more often than not I end up going places and doing things alone because the friends I invited never respond half the time or are too busy for me. As harsh a reality as that is, it made me realize that maybe these are not my people. We're all "busy" but real friends make time for you. It's just a matter of getting out there, trying different things, finding activity groups that fit your interest and stuff. Finding your tribe, so to speak.

As for online dating, it's a crap show in my opinion. I've met too many phony people online that I've given up hope of ever finding a single date online let alone a wholesome relationship. I'm convinced that maybe it's better that way: want real love, then look in the real world. Easier said than done, I know. But it IS possible. There are good ones out there (like me) who will treat a guy right, want a solid, real relationship, won't play games, etc. We are hard to find and tough to get to, but I promise we're worth the pursuit. You seem like a great guy, I'd give you a chance. Just saying. Don't lose hope.
  • SummerTwentyOne
    SummerTwentyOne Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I just want to congratulate you on your 127lbs loss, that’s amazing. In no way is that in the league of failing.

As for your personal life, I can completely relate. I also feel like I’m running out of time, however I’ve learned that you’ll never be “too late” as everyone has their own time zones. I can tell you right now somewhere out there your match is probably sitting at the desk at her job, thinking about when she’s going to find the perfect guy. You’ll bump into her when you least expect it.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    You sound amazing! Congratulations on all that you have accomplished! I’ve seen lots of great advice here. Cultivating friendships, group activities that you enjoy, and prayer. Sometimes when we quit trying so hard, great things fall right into place!
  • GoodLardy
    GoodLardy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Also, I see some pluses , if that’s a word, about you. You have red hair. You have a beard. Some ladies are super into that. Also, I see you fish. Volunteer at a kids fishing day or something like that in your area. Smile at the single moms and the aunties that are with their nieces and nephews. It melts a lot of hearts when a woman sees a man being nice to kids.