Any other crazy chicken ladies out there?

Options
tinamommy3613
tinamommy3613 Posts: 2 Member
edited October 2018 in Motivation and Support
Looking for other moms who juggle farm chores...family..and losing weight.

Replies

• dechowj
    dechowj Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    ME!!! I have laying hens all year long and then do 2 rounds of meat birds in the spring/summer. Plus a couple of horses. My boys are 1 and 3, and I have make them help me out with the chores lol.
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Not yet, but hopefully someday! It just seems like a fun and interesting thing to do. I love animals, including chickens. I've heard hens like to cuddle, from what my coworker tells me. I would get the Silkie (breed that has feathery legs and looks like it's wearing pants). I'd name her Henrietta (see what I did there?) Plus having fresh eggs everyday? How could you not love that.

Just curious: is it hard to keep chickens? What's it like?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I don't have any now, but would love to. My best friend growing up was a rooster named Harry. I found Harry shortly after he hatched and he imprinted on me. He loved to be held and sung to and followed me everywhere.

@Kimmotion5783 - he also had some siblings (that didn't imprint). One was named Henrietta. There was Harry and Harriet and Henry and Henrietta.
  • amiclon
    amiclon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have 7 chickens, 2 ducks, 2 bunnies, 3 cats, 1 dog, 1 tortoise and 1 kid :smiley:

Lots of mouths to feed! I would really love to get a couple baby goats in the spring.
  • Realtree2429
    Realtree2429 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Me!!!! I raise chickens! How many??? Chicken math got me years ago ;) I also raise dwarf goats and our family raises pigs.

So yes, lots of farm chores with the animals, garden, house and kids. It does help with the weight loss.
  • Realtree2429
    Realtree2429 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Not yet, but hopefully someday! It just seems like a fun and interesting thing to do. I love animals, including chickens. I've heard hens like to cuddle, from what my coworker tells me. I would get the Silkie (breed that has feathery legs and looks like it's wearing pants). I'd name her Henrietta (see what I did there?) Plus having fresh eggs everyday? How could you not love that.

Just curious: is it hard to keep chickens? What's it like?

I don't believe that chickens are difficult at all. Just don't research them much....it makes them look very difficult! Feed them, water them and give them a safe area (they are loved by all predators) and chickens are a blast.
  • Kimmotion5783
    Options
    @Realtree2429 - Probably a fenced in enclosure of some sort would be best for them with a chicken coop of course. Do you have to get up really early to feed them every day?
  • Kimmotion5783
    Options
    @mom23mangos - Awwwwe! Harry the Rooster sounds adorable! <3 Chickens are just so darn cute. There's just something about them.