Shin Splints

Options
I did box jumps at Crossfit last Saturday and now have HORRIBLE shin splints. I tried doing my usual jog last night and could barely lift my legs up! I ended up walking 3 miles at 3.5 miles and hour and felt comfortable. Does anyone have any remedies?

Replies

• Just_Bethy
    Just_Bethy Posts: 272
    Options
    I got wicked ones and the only thing that stopped then was resting! I was told for 10 days..I made it 5...and they are gone...but if I go too fast or too long I ca feel them starting to twitch and back it off....
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Just have to take it easy for a little while. Over the counter pain meds and I would walk instead of jog like you normally would for a couple days. You could also try new shoes or insoles for your current shoes. You'll probably need to modify the box jumps for next time as well, so you don't hurt yourself again. I hate shin splints!
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    When I was in the USMC (and in shape) I used to do an icepack and some bengay. You smell funny, but your legs feel better. Also try a epsom salt bath tonight, that also works for me.
    And lots and lots of water!
  • bjpa2001
    bjpa2001 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have good shoes with arch supports in them. I have trouble with this and finally it is better with a custom molded insole and good shoes. Ice and stretch and ibuprofen for the acute phase, too.
  • ebert5150
    ebert5150 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Rest, ice, ibuprofin. You may also wanna get check to make sure it actually is shin splints and not something else. Not sure there's a magic bullet.
  • Wibikerlady
    Wibikerlady Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ice it, stretch it & dont workout your lower body for a couple days..Give it time to relax...Gentle stretches... I get them every so often...You might not have stretched out your calves and ankles well enough after you worked out. Just ice and stretching & dont do any lower body workouts for a day or two..thats what i tell my students and do myself.
  • KayaSamantha
    KayaSamantha Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    When I danced through school I'd get wicked ones and the only thing that helped was rest, ice, and putting my feet up and drawing the alphabet with my toes repeatedly! Good luck!
  • StellaBby10
    Options
    OMG I WAS JUST TALKING TO MY FRIEND ABOUT THIS!! I have them right now i got them from working out extra hard last night... i was just gonna GOOGLE IT!! (=
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Stretch those shins as well...Point the toes, flex the toes...It does help...
  • JenOman
    JenOman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    For me the only thing that helps me get over them is stretching. I sit with my legs in front of me and flex my foot and try to get my toes as close to my body as possible. And then I lie on my back and have one leg bent and the other in the air and I write the alphabet with my big toe rotating at the ankle and then switch

Rest helps, but it doesn't make them go away, because as soon as you start again they come back. Or at least did for me.

Good luck!!
  • rea1980
    rea1980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for shoes. Once I did this I have not had any issues since. Most running stores will be able to fit you properly.
  • ebert5150
    ebert5150 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I see many comments about stretching on these threads. You need to be aware that improper stretching can lead to injuries. You should do some reading on PROPER stretching techniques so as not to make your problem worse.
  • nb9251
    nb9251 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Stretch those shins as well...Point the toes, flex the toes...It does help...

I agree. I had them really bad and was told to make sure I drink at least 8 oz of water BEFORE i even start running and then beofre and after running I did stretches. I haven't had them since. What I do is stand with toes pointed in like your bowlegged and then go up on your toes liek ten time. Then do the same with toes pointed out. It was just a random person at the gym who told me that and it really helped.
  • illwillie
    Options
    Trying walking on your heels for an warm up and cool down about 20 yards each. That should stretch your shins. However, when doing box jumps focus on techique, posture and make sure you do some dynamic stretching before the your work out (i.e. lunges, side lunges, squats, etc without the hold & weights but reps of 10). It works wonders for me.
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    R.I.C.E

Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation

There is no wonder-cure for shin splints
  • RunningMom09
    RunningMom09 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Check out www.runnersworld.com and search on shin splints. They have some good stretches and other advice.

My shin splints were triggered last summer by a cross-training workout in wornout shoes. Ice after working out and using zensah compression calf sleeves got me running again. I use kt tape now when I run, and for cross-training workouts if they've been bothering me.