I need help... wt loss is too hard but is it hopeless for so

Options
:frown: I actually started using MFP about 10 days ago, the first 7 days were perfect, i stuck to the calories the exercise everything... i had a cold the last 3 days and i really messed everything up :(:cry: I ate much more calories than i need, i didnt exercise.. i feel like a complete failure...

did anyone ever feel helpless? that this will never work? that maybe ill stay fat no matter what ?

I only lost .6 lbs.... :( im really sad.. what do i do to get my strength back?
is this really hopeless? am i hopeless?

i feel like e failure

Replies

• kalamantina
    Options
    :frown: I actually started using MFP about 10 days ago, the first 7 days were perfect, i stuck to the calories the exercise everything... i had a cold the last 3 days and i really messed everything up :(:cry: I ate much more calories than i need, i didnt exercise.. i feel like a complete failure...

did anyone ever feel helpless? that this will never work? that maybe ill stay fat no matter what ?

i feel like e failure
  • kbirky73
    kbirky73 Posts: 110
    Options
    Are you kidding??? YOU are doing GREAT. Getting sick :explode:
    I'm actually feeling the cold coming on myself ...

Some say you shouldn't exercise when you're sick anyway ... and then others say it's good to "sweat out the cold" so I never know which ... just chalk it up as "i was sick .. and i didn't stick with the calories". Sick or not, get on here every day ... get your support and motivation ...

YOU are NOT a failure .. something beyond your control threw a monkey wrench into your routine .. it happens. Every day is a new day ... You are not hopeless .. you can SO do it.

15163.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
    Began using MFP on 1/8/2009 ...
  • sblades
    Options
    I hear you.
    I've had many days where I felt like that.
    Weeks at a time where I made no progress and even gained.
    Even last week I gained. Please don't be discouraged. Drink your water and eat your veggies, and start again tomorrow. You did not get fat overnight and will not be skinny in one week. Hang in there!
  • marc4
    marc4 Posts: 79
    Options
    6lbs! you should be extremely proud of yourself!!!

I feel like its hopeless some days also, but I've really made excercising something to look forward to. Giving myself a teenie tiny reward when I do a great job at the gym. Something that I would normally feel "guilty" about eating now I feel justified. Just something in my own head that seems to work.......although the self sabotaging thing sometimes gets the better of me..........

Keep strong and in control.....

Kelly:smile:
  • missysun
    Options
    I did about the same as you did. Lost 6 # 1st week, got a cold tried to feed it , to feel better. It didn't work. So I exercised 30 min. longer the next day. Did the 8 glasses of water, and got back on track. Just move on. It's a new day. Go Girl.:
  • Lizjkp
    Lizjkp Posts: 278
    Options
    Hi kalamantina :bigsmile: stop beating yourself up :grumble: . It is not easy being ill and counting calories, mind you when I was ill awhile ago I only felt like chicken soup :noway: so made enough for about 5 meals :happy: and that is about all I ate besides my Oats at breakfast and lots and lots and lots:drinker: of water and orange juice (replaces Vit C).
    We all know what it is like to be ill :yawn: , you eat whatever is put in front of you or closest to hand and I know more often than not my body craves no-no's :explode: too.
    Try not to eat anything you would not eat whilst not ill :sick: , but if you do remember tomorrow is another day.
    You may have to make up on your excercises once you feel better (can't excercise when you are under par).
    Get well soon :flowerforyou: and good luck with your journey:smooched: we are all in the same boat.

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings don't remember how to fly"
  • kalamantina
    Options
    Thank u guys..

but its not 6 lbs id be flying happy.. its just .6 :(

so its actually normal to lose just .6 lbs? on my first week? i always get discouraged after the first week..

i want to lose weight a.s.a.p... my friend's wedding is in april.. and i wanted to lose all the weight so quickly... :( this is not how it works is it???

:cry: thank u for the kind words.. i dont want to feel like a failure.. i tried to many diets i really want this to work..
  • Lizjkp
    Lizjkp Posts: 278
    Options
    I find the best way to sweat out a cold is to take a hot (now now ladies :blushing: I was about to say) lemon and honey drink to bed with 2 paracetamol and DO NOT remove the covers :devil: until the next morning, you will sweat like an ox :laugh: but will feel much better in the morning, works a treat for me.
    I would not excercise when I have a cold as it puts great strain on your heart and lungs :noway: and you stand the chance of catching a chill, which will make it worse,rather wait until you are feeling better and slowly start your excercise routine up again.

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings don't remember how to fly"
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Thank u guys..

so its actually normal to lose just .6 lbs? on my first week? i always get discouraged after the first week..

i want to lose weight a.s.a.p... my friend's wedding is in april.. and i wanted to lose all the weight so quickly... :( this is not how it works is it???

:cry: thank u for the kind words.. i dont want to feel like a failure.. i tried to many diets i really want this to work..

Honey a 1/2 a pound GONE is better than anything GAINED!!

I have looked at this as a journey, not a weekend vacation. I started in June 08 to get serious. I was 168.5 and could not walk to the end of the street without getting winded. My first month I didnt care if I lost any weight at all. I focused on eating right, drinking my water, and adding exercise to my daily routine. I lost 2 or 3 pounds just by passing mcdonalds at lunch!

You have to give yourself time to get into a good habit. It takes 21 days to break a bad habit, so by logic 21 days to implement a good habit, right?!

If you look at this as a new way of life, a way to raise that little jellybean in your av to eat well, exercise with you, see themselves in a positve way.........in a short time you will be givng US encouragement!

I promise!!:flowerforyou:
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly normal to lose 6lbs in your first week, I lost 8lbs my first week - its water weight.
    As for feeling so low, don't dispair, we've all been there, I for one yo-yo'ed last month, sometimes we need to shake things up a little.
    If you don't feel up to exercising, try and eat more sensibly, and stay as much within your calories as you can. Sometimes exercising whilst not feelnig well can help, and other times we just wanna curl up with our duvets and stay there! :ohwell:
    I suffer with depression, which can really play havoc on my eating habits, I just make sure I only have healthy options at home, that way, when I feel the nibbles coming on, I'm only eating healthy food - damage limitation :laugh:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    You can't help it if you've been sick! Just start back up again whenever you're up to it. That's one of the great thing about MFP, tomorrow is another day!
    For added incentive, try checking out some before and after profile pics of some of the bigger losers on here. It's amazing to see the difference they've made in their lives, and how WE can do the same thing too! :smile:
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options

i feel like e failure

It is so normal to feel like you do. BUT, you must not stop. I have been fighting with my weight for 15 to 20 years. This site is the only place that I actually KEPT my weight off. BUT, I have so much more to lose.

Just keep on trying and keep on venting with the people on this site. Venting has to be the best medicine.

Sometimes I feel helpless is my middle name. All I know I don't want to be the girl that walks in the room and people say. What happened to Kathy she gained so much weight?

Keep up the fight it is worth it.

As others have said. 6lbs. lost is better then 6lbs. gained
  • kalamantina
    Options
    Thank u guys.. i was just crying my eyes out about this.. :cry: :cry: a whole week i just lose 1/2 a pound...
    then get a cold and mess it all up.. then feel like an entire loser....

i was really starting to lose all the weight for my friend's april wedding.. i guess i should just take one day at a time.. and really focus on living a healthier life...

Thank u :smile: it feels good to know im not alone in this... that it is really hard and it takes strength..
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Thank u guys.. i was just crying my eyes out about this.. :cry: :cry: a whole week i just lose 1/2 a pound...
    then get a cold and mess it all up.. then feel like an entire loser....

i was really starting to lose all the weight for my friend's april wedding.. i guess i should just take one day at a time.. and really focus on living a healthier life...

Thank u :smile: it feels good to know im not alone in this... that it is really hard and it takes strength..
    It's absolutely perfectly normal to only lose .6 lbs your first week. I lost nothing until my THIRD week, imagine how crazy I was going! As you can see by these answers, everyone is VERY different. Some lose nothing their first week, an others lose up to 10lbs. It's crazy really. DOn't worry about it, a half lb gone is still a half lb gone. :drinker:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    you are doing fine.....pick up a gallon of milk...you have lost almost that much weight..>AWESOME.....if you are here you are not a failure...this whole deal takes a while and you have started the journey....nice:smile:
  • amycakes812
    Options
    I find the best way to sweat out a cold is to take a hot (now now ladies :blushing: I was about to say) lemon and honey drink to bed with 2 paracetamol and DO NOT remove the covers :devil: until the next morning, you will sweat like an ox :laugh: but will feel much better in the morning, works a treat for me.
    I would not excercise when I have a cold as it puts great strain on your heart and lungs :noway: and you stand the chance of catching a chill, which will make it worse,rather wait until you are feeling better and slowly start your excercise routine up again.

I've been feeling a cold coming on most of this week and refuse to give in to it! What is in the lemon honey drink you mentioned? Is it tea with lemon and honey, or just hot water? I want to give this a try tonight to shake off this cold once and for all. Thanks!
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It helps to equate your weight loss with something visible...for example, 1 pound lost = one of the square 1 lb. packages of hamburger meat at the grocery store! Even losing 1/2 of that is a great accomplishment. I also "fell off the wagon" during valentine's weekend...it was hard not to eat any of the chocolate my sweet husband gave me, so I had to start again fresh on Monday. My weight loss goal is only 1 pound per week, so it is easy to get discouraged by weighing every morning and not seeing the weigh "flying" off. I am able to stay on track by thinking about the big picture...I could lose 4 pounds per month if I stick to the diet. That's about 12 pounds by June, which sounds really good! :) Stick with it, you're doing GREAT so far! Good luck.
  • kalamantina
    Options
    :drinker: im drinking lemon and ginger with honey for my cold... it makes me feel better...

and everyone's kind words are helping me feel better.. especially the part about losing nothing the first 3 weeks... u must've gone crazy.. i know i would.. and the gallon of milk.. wow it is a lot!! and the hamburgers... gr8 ... i would've never thought about it that way..

:smile: im putting this whole mess behind me and starting fresh tomorrow.. hopefully my cold will be better and i will feel better...

THANKS EVERYONE:heart::flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Thank u guys..

Considering that you're here now on MFP and not eating a bag of chips, that you've lost 6 lbs. and you're STILL here on MFP despite feeling helpless...well I say that's success!:flowerforyou:

No I actually haven't felt helpless here...I feel quite empowered by what I am doing to change my life.

I really feel sad when so many though guage everything they do by stepping on a metal box. UGH There are sooooooooo many ways to guage health besides a scale Hon:wink::flowerforyou: Merely making healthier choices than in the past is HUGE, working out when it was not something you might have done in the past..HUGE, joining up here HUGE, lots of inspiration to be had here....you too can lose what you're needing to, but helplessness to me means having no hope:cry:

That makes me sad you feel that way....I'm sorry you do, truly. When I get down on myself, I try and look at what I DO have, I try and get grateful for what I've got in my life, got here and from MFP, then those things that were bugging me seem so small then.

Feel better Hon, keeping up the healthy eating and the cold will be gone before you know it! I rarely get sick anymore because of how my eating has changed.

So again, lbs. lost is not all this site is about. It's about changing our way of thinking, gaining back our self esteem, confidence, fitness level...wow, no time to type it all.

I'm heading to the gym!:bigsmile: :heart:

FC:heart:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

i feel like e failure

Your allowed to have what I call "frumpy" days...perhaps you need more calories than you are allowing yourself try giving yourself an extra 200 calories per day ....I know in the past what seems to set me into frump mode is missing a day of excercise. If this is the case with you try to do something everyday even if its just a brisk walk around the block...buy yourself a cute fridge magnet and post all of your goals on the fridge....pre planning your meals also helps too!!:drinker: