So annoying!! Any one else got knee issues????

Options
I might just be venting.. I hate when people give a short answer to advice. Like, just don't buy it or allow yourself a treat or try harder tomorrow... Ugh why not say yeah I've been there and try to show the person that what they just went through is probably more common than something super horrible and rare. I'm talking about when people put on the weight they just lost because of over eating or stressed eating or bored eating and they feel crappy about it. Why try to fix their problem maybe they just want to hear others go through it too..

So, yeah I've put on some weight because I can't workout or which stressed me out which made me over eat and I was mad.. di I'm going to try to get back into it today but my knees really hurt. Still gonna try.

Yes, I tried doing chair exercises, no I can't go to a pool, I have kids at home I'm a stay at home mom, my husband works crazy hours no he can't take care of them while I do a little exercise.

Replies

• tecat810
    tecat810 Posts: 4,533 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. It is such a challenge when the body doesn’t cooperate AND you are motivated to do something!

I too have a knee injury I just got. I’ve been using my foam roller to roll out some key muscles that are known contributors. Hoping it will help me out!!

Hoping for the best for you!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    first, get a diagnosis and treatment plan for the knees,

second, you just need to eat in a deficit to lose weight, so don't worry if you cant exercise right now.
  • _aenyeweddien_
    _aenyeweddien_ Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I used to play volleyball and even wanted to go pro at some point....Then I injured my knee and couldn't play anymore, and had pains in my knee for almost 10 years. I was stupid enough to listen to the doctor who advised I should avoid exercise because of my knee. It was the worst thing I could have done. Years later I got a second opinion and was told something completely different - that exercise will strengthen the knee in time and make the pain go away. At some point I was not able to walk up/down the stairs without pain, now I squat with 60kg (I know it's not a lot but for me it's a massive achievement considering that in the past I wasn't able to do it with body weight, and I was slimmer than I am now). The pain is gone.

Give yourself time, and take it easy - baby steps. Start with light exercises and work your way up. But don't give up, you will get stronger.
  • 73CL350
    73CL350 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I used to be really into hiking.

I wore lineman's boots at work all day. in 2010 i injured my ankle on a hike and the PT told me because i wore big rigid boots all day the muscle around my ankle never got built up.
    over the next year i wore below-the-ankle shoes whenever possible and in 2011 i hiked 2700 miles from Mexico to Canada all in running shoes and without any injury.

side note... my left knee hurts whenever i run or bike now, i called i "worn out old man syndrome".

have you seen a physical therapist ? have you had an MRI? you may be missing cartilage or something to that effect.
  • marcvb35
    marcvb35 Posts: 291 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I feel your pain, knee problems and multiple surgery on knees has stopped me from doing any good cardio. so at 48 years old I started my first diet ever. low and behold with some will power and a lot of label reading I am now eating healthy and I have lost about 40 pounds. I know I am not in the same shape as when I did triathlons but I weigh only 10 pounds more then 30 years ago.

I am sure everyone out there can do the same, if you find the foods and diet you can live with. my diet is limited choice and I stick with eating almost the same lunch every work day. this allows me to have the foods I love at dinner.

good luck all
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I was a lifter and runner prior to having kids, at 135lbs. Now after three kids, I was sitting at 185lbs with joints so stiff I could barely sit up and down (I would grunt like an old man everytime), and going up the stairs was a struggle, it would take me so long, one step at a time. I too am at home and no access to a gym or pool. Like others said, the only necessary thing to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn. But if you are looking to improve your quality of life by getting moving, I totally get it! That was my whole motivation for getting back moving last spring.

I found that as I gained the weight I was too heavy for my strength, and so I would let myself flop onto chairs without holding my weight. When I would try to get up, I would lean way forward and my knees would point out, as my gut was in the way and I was trying to compensate for my lack of strength. So you really can't get yourself out of the chair squats... They will help you build strength while practicing good form. It hurts, so don't push yourself too far, but over the span of a couple weeks to a month I was so surprised with my progress! I was able to squat after warming up, and do many other exercises I would have deemed impossible when starting.

My back and hips were really tight. I was in huge pain. My knees were very painful as well, they would crack and get inflammed and I just couldn't do any exercise really. The trick was to get moving anyway. At first, I would do half (or at that point I would call that a quarter, LOL) squats while standing. Just try to flex the knees slightly. Then I would lean against the wall and lower myself as much as I could, and helping me with my hands to get back up. I would go as slow as I could, trying to go lower and lower. My arms did a lot of the lifting back up too, but it was necessary to improve my range of motion. What was important was to practice flexing while removing the tension (with my arms pushing against the wall to help myself up, that is). Then I used the stairs. I would sit in the stairs (or like you said a chair would work too) so that you can pause, before getting back up. Squats are a functional exercise and that's why you kinda need to master them, they will help you greatly. At the beginning my knees would crack still, but I just kept going, going slowly as needed.

So, to the risk of repeating myself, the only solution here is to get moving. In any way you currently can. Gently practice and you will improve at your own rythm. I still am here hanging at 180lbs and trying to lose the weight, but I have regained my flexibility (nothing amazing here, I'm not doing the splits but the flexibility to move, sit down, get on my knees, climb up the stairs) and it is so freeing! I can once again climb up the stairs jumping, 2 to 3 stairs at a time. I make a point to do it everytime, it's like a game and part of my exercises lol. I refuse to let myself seize up to the point I had before. I don't take for granted things as simple as sitting down and being able to walk up the stairs normally.

So to resume:
    1. Practice flexing the knees while standing up, even just a little.
    2. When your range of motion has improved, trying leaning against a wall while holding your weight with your hands to practice lowering further down with minimal pressure against your joints.
    3. Once you are comfortable with that, practice squatting down on a chair or in the stairs. Pause when you sit down, and get back up.
    4. Squat down to the chair/stairs and tap briefly without sitting before getting back up.
    5. BAM! You can do a squat unassisted :smile:

You can do it too! It seems impossible, but just go with baby steps and it has to improve overtime. You will be so glad you did it!! I hope this helps, good luck!! oxoxox

PS. I am assuming that you didn't have a major accident to your knee, only sedentary for a long time so that your joints seized up from the excess weight and lack of maintaining posture. I also have three kids and my husband is basically never there. And when he is, he never helps with anything. I try and fit my exercises either when the kids nap, or else I put them in front of a movie while I take 30 minutes to work on myself. It's hard, but I chose to make myself a priority so that I can better take care of my family!
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    My ACL is only attached on one end in my left knee so I do a lot by calorie restriction alone.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Knee issues?
    Yeah, I can relate.

My left knee & kneecap is twisted at about a 30-45 degree angle towards the right leg.
    My left achilles tendon is also artificial, having been surgically replaced and lengthened. Twice.
    But orthopedic surgeons can only do so much.

Due to this:
    I've had arthritis in my left ankle and knee since I was in my early 20's
    My left leg is about 2 inches shorter than my right one
    My left foot is about a size 8 while my right foot is about an 11
    My left foot has required "reconstruction" as well
    (I could go on)

Also:
    I'll be 48 in April
    I am a MMA coach, Combatives instructor, and Defensive Tactics instructor
    Semi-retired full-contact fighter
    6th degree black belt
    I hit a 325 lb deadlift & a 265 lb squat for sets of 5 (last week) - at a body weight of 159 lbs & about 13% body fat.
    The pain an swelling is just now subsiding in time for me to try the deadlift again this evening

If you want to do it bad enough you will find a way and you will also find people willing to help you.

Whining & venting happens. Get over it and do something about it.
    Start by tracking everything you eat & drink so you can eat less that you are now
    Then you can go from there.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Been there done that! Issues with knees, and running is my favorite... super efficient way to burn calories, as well as an antidepressant. So, I lose that 20 pounds again, get my running mojo back, overcook my knee, lay off running, keep eating of course, gain weight. Rinse repeat for a few decades.

This time, in maintenance almost a year. Running a little, completely aware that my issue is eating like I burn 600 plus calories a day whether I do or not. That burn may not seem like much but to this relatively small desk jockey it is the difference between eating hearty with a few treats and being quite careful. This is simple, but it is not easy.

Motivation is, dead tired of gaining again. Easier to lose 2 or 3 from the top of maintenance zone than 20 again. Add weight back to injury and it's what? Yeah, harder.

Best of luck OP, you will find your way.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Oh and I forgot to say... best info I ever got here is that weight loss is 80% kitchen, 20% exercise. My weight loss math backs this up. "It's hard to outrun your fork."
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain..... your stuck in a vicious circle..... I've got two bad knees that I'm hoping will be fixed by a double knee replacement January 9th.

18 months ago I was 288 lbs and exercising was almost impossible. Walking and even standing was difficult

I had to rely on a calorie deficit and light stationary cycling for weight loss.

It sucked because I really associate exercise to weight loss..... it was hard to focus on diet only.

Fast forward and I'm 110 lbs lighter........... knees still hurt like a *kitten* but I plan to be in the best shape possible for my surgery.

Just the fact that you WANT to do something is a step in the right direction..... hopefully you'll find YOUR way....
    You can do it!
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Also, my wife has a torn MCL (medial collateral ligament).
    Due to sparring full-contact against a guy twice her size.

She still did The Winter's Tale (William Shakespeare) -including designing and building the sets for 2 weeks- in a compression stocking.
    It took about 2 or 3 weeks for the swelling to go down after it was all said and done, but the audience had no idea.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have RA. When I first got sick, my knees hurt so bad that I was afraid I wouldn't be able to work anymore, and I lived in a second-floor walk-up. Knee issues really, really suck, whatever the cause.

My first suggestion is to go to a doctor. It might be that a prednisone taper or something could relieve some of your knee pain. My second is to get one of those under-desk bikes or ellipticals. Joint pain is very much use-it-or-lose-it: moving your joints hurts like a *kitten* but ultimately not moving them hurts worse. The under-desk pedaling equipment is something you can just put in front of your couch and do while you're watching TV - and you can stop and start at any time if you have to get up and take care of your kids. If all else fails, just put on some music and walk back and forth across the room for as long as you can, or try to get your kids into some of the mommy-and-me yoga videos on YouTube.

Believe me, I know, it sucks. It sucks even when you don't have small children. Take on your weight issues with calorie restriction, but for your knee pain, move. Motion is lotion.
  • robinrach78
    robinrach78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I gained 40 lbs in 3 years. The first place I felt it was my knees. They popped cracked and ached all the time. I’m down 22 lbs in 8 weeks and the first place I noticed it was my knees! I use a gazelle and stationary bike and do at least 20 squats a day. My knees don’t ache anymore and I just have the occasional pop and crack but it’s not with every step I take anymore!