so TIRED! any ideas as to what i can do?

Options
hi everyone. i have recently started cutting meat out of my diet and i have found that i am EXHAUSTED since doing so. like, i need a nap 2 hours after i have gotten up tired. i do take a vitamin with iron in it, so i don't think my iron is too low - although haven't had blood tests done.

are there any foods to help naturally give me energy? i have been trying some slower-digesting carbs like oatmeal, but that's not doing much. thanks!

Replies

• lrodriguez83
    Options
    Protein shakes maybe???
  • CatchThatKitten
    Options
    Peanut Butter and honey
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It could be anything and I would suggest that you see your primary care doctor and have him run blood work and any other tests that they feel is necessary - pls do not rely on this site for medical advice.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    You are not getting enough protein and need to replace it with something. Peanut Butter, protein shakes. nuts.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I am just curious as to why you are cutting meat out of your diet?

I would say that you are tired because you are not getting enough protein in your diet. which is a direct result of cutting meat out if you don't know how to get a substantial amount from other foods.
  • derbylea
    derbylea Posts: 22
    Options
    Is there any chance you could be diabetic or pre diabetic? Perhaps with the cutting of the meat you have upped the carbs, which in turn (if you are diabetic or pre diabetic) could up your blood sugar? One of the main symptoms of diabetes is this overwhelming feeling of tiredness. Another symptom is extreme thirst. If thats not the case then I would look for some vegetarian meals that have soy protein in them. I am sure a quick search on the web would lead you to some good recipes. Eggs are a good source of protein if you are not a strict vegetarian.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Make sure to include healthy lean protein in every meal. Get it from real, whole foods versus processed protein shakes.

You can make things like quinoa and incorporate things like beans and tofu into your meals.

Check out Everyday Food magazine (there's also free recipes online) and www.dailygarnish.com for healthy recipes without meat.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I took a glance at the last few days of your diary and you are under on protein almost daily, sometimes way under. That is likely why you are tired. Try adding more nuts (or nut butters), beans, tofu, eggs, or low fat dairy to your diet. Your body needs a good mix of protein, good carbs (veggies/fruit/whole grains) and good fat to function at it's best.
  • Tennis2Win
    Options
    Of course make sure something serious is not going on, but nuts, protein shakes will help. When I exercise I love the 5 hour energy shot. I'm NOT a coffee drinker and it helps me get a little more pep in my step. :) Hang in there!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    It could be anything and I would suggest that you see your primary care doctor and have him run blood work and any other tests that they feel is necessary - pls do not rely on this site for medical advice.

i have an appointment next month with my doctor - the soonest they could get me in :( and i made this appointment in JUNE. crazy.
  • daniellerp
    Options
    I get a vitamin B12 shot once a week and it's awesome for energy :)
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Get some rest!!!!!!!!!!!!

You haven't had a single rest day this month, take it easy for a few days.
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    You need to eat protein, which is typically found in the meats you just cut out of your diet.

yes, there are natural foods that add this. These magical, natural foods are called "meat". If you have some specific reason for cutting meat out of your diet and dont want to add it back, you need to find another way to supliment your protein intake. So...nuts, eggs, fish, whey protein shakes, etc. Quiona is probably a good vegan protein replacement, but I sure as heck cant figure out how to cook it. I've read some quiona faux-risotto recipees that may be good
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Protein Builds muscle make sure your using alternatives!!! Like PB, Protein powder, QUinoa, BEANS
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I would eat meat again... seems pretty simple!

Humans are meant to eat meat and vegetation! You cant cut a whole food group out of your life and expect to feel the exact same way you felt before you cut it out!
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Any time you "cut something out" of your diet, you need to replace it with something. I'm not saying to not cut out meat (I'm a vegan, afterall!), but I'm saying when you cut out something that provides you certain nutrients, you need to make sure they are replaced. What are you eating for protein and iron now that you are cutting down on meat? Make sure you are eating foods rich in these nutrients, like beans, legumes, and dark greens.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I would eat meat again... seems pretty simple!

Humans are meant to eat meat and vegetation! You cant cut a whole food group out of your life and expect to feel the exact same way you felt before you cut it out!

Ummm....seriously? And how much nutritional training have you had exactly?
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    You can get plenty of iron and protein w/o eating meat...You just need to make sure that you are replacing meat with something that is still good for you and supplies you with what your body needs to sustain it's self.

You could be anemic, you could be sleeping too much, you may not be getting "good" sleep at night....there could be so many different reasons why you are feeling tired.

Next time you feel tired, try taking a power nap...fall asleep for only 5 mins. Then get up and m-o-v-e your body. Turn on some music and dance around for the whole song...do 50 jumping jacks...skip around....do something to get your blood pumping.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i will be going shopping this weekend and buying nuts, quinoa, nut butters, etc this weekend. i needed another paycheck! but thank you for the ideas.

yes, i will try rest more!

i have stopped eating meat for ethical reasons, but i still eat dairy and eggs, so i will add more of those. i do also eat soy products.

thank you for your suggestions!
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options

Ummm....seriously? And how much nutritional training have you had exactly?

I'm not sure how much 'nutritional training' is necessary to recognize that protein is kinda important, and cutting it out of your diet is likely to have consequences. Pretty standard, simple stuff really. Kinda like asking someone how much legal training they have had if they tell you you might get a ticket for running a redlight.

All of you condescending MFP forum-warriors really crack me up.