Shin splints?

Options
Hi guys. I haven't been around for a while, but I have been doing good with exersising and eatting right. (I've lost 15 lbs!) Anyway, I started running and last week I upped my run to 2.5 miles of running and then run until I am tired walk, run, ext until I hit 45 min. I am also running 6 days a week. I am loving it! I never thought that I would be someone who can run. The big problem? My ankle (right at the bone) and around to the very front of my lower leg (parallell to the ankle) started to hurt. I kept running. Yesterday, I did not work out because to even stand feels like my ankle bone will shatter. It just feels like too much pressure. Does anyone know how to fix this? And can anyone help with my fears of gaining weight back because I have now not been to the gym for two days? Any ideas on other ways to keep busy? I feel like running took the place the sitting on the sofa and binging was filling. I hate this. Thanks for listening.

Replies

• hairprincess
    Options
    Hi guys. I haven't been around for a while, but I have been doing good with exersising and eatting right. (I've lost 15 lbs!) Anyway, I started running and last week I upped my run to 2.5 miles of running and then run until I am tired walk, run, ext until I hit 45 min. I am also running 6 days a week. I am loving it! I never thought that I would be someone who can run. The big problem? My ankle (right at the bone) and around to the very front of my lower leg (parallell to the ankle) started to hurt. I kept running. Yesterday, I did not work out because to even stand feels like my ankle bone will shatter. It just feels like too much pressure. Does anyone know how to fix this? And can anyone help with my fears of gaining weight back because I have now not been to the gym for two days? Any ideas on other ways to keep busy? I feel like running took the place the sitting on the sofa and binging was filling. I hate this. Thanks for listening.
  • cascott59
    Options
    Making sure you are stretching properly before and after your run. Also make sure you have the right shoes. I get mine from a store that specializes in sports foot wear. (Not foot locker) They can make sure you have the right support and fit. I didn't know it but the colors on the sole indicat the firmness or softness of the support in the area of the foot.
  • drewzaun
    drewzaun Posts: 111
    Options
    Could be alot of things, if it hurts just to stand on I would go see a doctor. At the very least wrap it to keep the joint immobile. Whether you ice or heat it depends on the injury. Is it swelling at all?

This does not sound like shin splints, maybe a sprain or strain.

You will need to find some exercises that you not stress that joint. If you have access to a pool that is the best way to go. Otherwise perhaps maybe you can try the eliptical machines, but I think even they may be too much. There are alot of upper body exercises you can do with wieghts, or resistance bands. Also yoga and pilates, you can find some positions that do not stress your legs.

The lesson here is that when you feel something coming on, slow down or stop. Better to walk home from one workout than miss 5 weeks for a real injury...