Day 100........

Options
Yes, today is my 100th day on MFP! Woo hoo, yay me. I’m happy with the changes I’ve made and the success I’ve had so far. Officially 48lbs down, yes I am pretty proud of that. The friends that I’ve made on here have been GREAT and it definitely is helping me to stay focused. I said that on day 1, and hopefully I am still saying it on day 1000. But, there always seems to be a but, this morning I got a nice punch in the gut. I went to see a sports med doctor about my shoulder that has been bothering me and he confirmed my worst fears and told me that it appears that I have a torn labrum – again, and I will probably need surgery – again…Not cool, not what I wanted to hear. For now, we’re going to try some physical therapy and check back in a month. He really didn’t seem too hopeful. I’ve been down this road before. Last time was about 7 years ago. I had just lost about 70lbs and then bang, shoulder surgery, hello old 70lb friend and then some. Déjà vu! Ugh – no way. Not happening. For now I can keep doing what I’m doing, the doc gave some restrictions but didn’t shut me down, so that’s good. If it is torn, the only thing I can do is tear it more and then get surgery but I already need it so why stop now. Man, I am so aggravated. Shoulder surgery is waay worse than you think it would be. I’ve got a baby coming in less than a month, so my wife doesn’t want to hear a one armed whiner, so I whine here. Actually, she’s very supportive. Thank you all for listening. Oh well, I’m still going to hit my goal of losing 50lb by my 40th birthday – 8/29. And then I’m still going to keep hitting the rest of my goals. Rant over, no more feeling sorry for myself. It could be much, much worse – I’m done whining. Back at it …..DOOOoooo IT!!!

Replies

• Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    You've been a great friend and I'm super-proud of your progress. I really hope the shoulder is okay and you don't have to have surgery, but if you do we will be here to support you and get you through this. You rock and I think this time, you're going to be just fine, even if you do have to have the surgery.

Hang in there! We got your back! And, when that babe comes we want to see pictures! :)
  • mandygal13
    mandygal13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on 100 days! That's awesome!

Second, congrats on 48 pounds. Even better!

Third, congrats on new baby - exciting!

Fourth, congrats on knowing when not to whine to your oh-so-pregnant wife! :wink:

Hate it about the shoulder, but seems like you've already developed a Plan B and are going after it. Great attitude! Good Luck!
  • ddboone
    ddboone Posts: 61
    Options
    Happy 100th! I'm sorry for your pain and I definitely sympathize. In the past it seemed like whenenver I was on a roll losing weight, I would get sick. (Knock on wood, so far so good this time). I know how frustrating it can be but I am SO PROUD
  • ddboone
    ddboone Posts: 61
    Options
    Happy 100th! I'm sorry for your pain and I definitely sympathize. In the past it seemed like whenenver I was on a roll losing weight, I would get sick. (Knock on wood, so far so good this time). I know how frustrating it can be but I am SO PROUD OF YOU for taking the attitude that this obstacle will not be a setback. Hope you don't need surgery and congrats on the baby!
  • Cchappell10
    Options
    Day 100! Hot Damn! That is sooooo Awesome!!! And 48 Pounds, that's Amazing!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I can only say I feel your pain on the upcoming surgery. I actually am still finishing up my recovery from surgery on my ankle. On 4/1 (yes, April Fool's Day of all days, LOL), my husband and I were in a motorcycle accident. I had multiple broken bones in my ankle and had to have a 5 inch plate, 7 x 1 inch screws, and 2 x 3 inch screws installed into my anke. No Fun. Got so spend 2 solid months on the couch, on crutches, not allowed to get up for more than 10 minutes. Then I had to go in for a second surgery to have one, only one, of the 3" screws removed. The rest stays with me for life. Harumph! That second surgery was on 6/1, and I slowly began to put weight on my foot after that. FINALLY, I am now able to use my Elliptical on low resistance and walk for up to about a half hour.

I put on about 10 pounds during my recovery, and am 2.6 pounds from having it gone now, after almost 4 weeks on MFP and South Beach Diet.

My prayers will be with you that you will NOT have to have surgery, especially with a baby on the way (CONGRATULATIONS, BTW!!). But if you do, just do your best to eat healthy, as that is tough during recovery but not impossible, especially if you are aware of it and determined to not gain the weight you worked so hard to lose. And I assume that after a couple weeks of recovery, the shoulder pain will lessen enough that you can go on walks (or use treadmil, or something) that can burn calories without using your arm/shoulder?

GOOD LUCK, I hope the P.T. works for you!! Congrats on the upcoming baby, and having a supportive wife! Stay focused and positive, and you can do it no matter what comes your way!
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    rant away friend.....i use this site to vent as well....you are doing awesome and i know that the shoulder incident is upsetting...i would be upset too....however, it could be worse like you said.....this too shall pass, as the old adage goes...keep killin' it.....
  • CanadianChic
    Options
    argh that sucks Mike! But you are a rockstar... and there is no way that weight will come back on you!! I know you won't let it. besides then i would have to kick your *kitten*. lol
    Happy 100th buddy!! you should be very proud! great job!
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I really do appreciate. Like I said, I'm done whining - just needed a moment. It's business as usual now, I'm heading to the gym to do what I do!