zuchini recipes

Options
papillons3
papillons3 Posts: 4 Member
Help! My zuchini patch is over- producing and I need new healthy recipes. Has anyone have some easy zuchini recipes to share? I have been told that there is a way to make healthy oven"chips". Any ideas???

Replies

• cloudj9
    cloudj9 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    carob chip zucchini cake. mmMmm.. yeah but its not that healthy. lol
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My mother makes the best minestrone Ive ever had and Im glad to share it with you, It is low calorie, high fiber, low fat and very simple to put together. Even better as leftovers! I have it for lunch every day until its gone and cant wait to make another batch! 150 calories per serving!

My Mothers Turkey Minestrone

1 lb ground turkey
    1 large onion, diced
    3 cloves garlic
    7 cups beef broth
    1 bag frozen mixed vegetables (pea, carrot, green bean, corn)
    1 large can stewed tomatoes
    1 tall can kidney beans
    2 tsp basil
    2 tsp oregano
    1 cup whole wheat macaroni elbows
    1 diced zucinni
    4 tbsp pomegranate red wine vinegar (any type of vinegar will work!)
    1 tbsp parmesan cheese per serving

Brown turkey, onion and garlic in large stock pan. Add broth, frozen veggies, tomatoes, kidney beans, basil and oregano and bring to a boil.
    Once boiling add macaroni and zucinni and simmer until pasta is almost tender, 8 -10 min.
    Remove from heat and add vinegar. (vinegar is VERY important in achieving the right balance of flavor)
    Sprinkle with parmesan. Serve with toasted french bread or bagette
    Makes 16 one cup servings at 150 calories per serving!
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I usually change the recipe to add at least 3 or 4 zucchini!
  • turtleohs
    turtleohs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    We were getting a TON of zucchini from our CSA and my husband would cut them up and put them in his eggs in the morning!

Anyway, I've made these before and they were decent...better with some marinara or other dipping sauce tho.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/baked-zucchini-chips/Detail.aspx
  • turtleohs
    turtleohs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Oh & another suggestions is that its really good in spaghetti sauce!!!
  • monicanicoletta
    monicanicoletta Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Zucchini Boats!!

You cut the zucchini in half, then shell out the middle of both pieces. Then you make a mixture of what you like..

I usually do ground turkey with carrotts, onions, tomato paste, some brown rice (sautee in pan) then scoop mixture into zucchini boats and bake for 15 minutes!!

aka:http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH/Images/Photos/37/exps13525_CB1217C161.jpg
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
  • misslyssx
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com has a lot of zucchini recipes. I am in love with the chocolate chip zucchini bread!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Help! My zuchini patch is over- producing and I need new healthy recipes. Has anyone have some easy zuchini recipes to share? I have been told that there is a way to make healthy oven"chips". Any ideas???

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/everyday-menus/vegetable-recipes-for-kids-00412000069594/page11.html

I can personally vouch for the above oven chips. Yum!

Cooking light also has a post about a lighter zucchini bread, maybe 165 a slice? Half the fat of a normal quick bread, too.
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I second the zucchini bread from Cooking Light! I've made it and it is DELICIOUS. (Now I want to make it again... yum)
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    "Fried" Zucchini Sticks Sat 08/20/11 08:27 PM
    With a Marinara Dipping Sauce

Baked Zucchini Sticks

Servings: 3 • Size: 1 zucchini (sauce extra) • Old Points: 1.5 pts • Points+: 3 pts
    Calories: 121.9 • Fat: 2.4 • Carbs: 21.0 g • Fiber: 6.0 • Protein: 6.7 g

Ingredients:
    3 medium zucchini sliced into 3" x 1/2" sticks
    1 large egg white
    1/3 cup seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
    2 tbsp grated Pecorino Romano cheese
    cooking spray
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    salt
    fresh pepper

Directions

In a small bowl, beat egg whites and season with salt and pepper. In a ziplock bag, place breadcrumbs, garlic powder and cheese and shake well. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray and set aside.

Dip zucchini sticks into eggs then into bread crumb and cheese mixture, a few at a time and shake to coat. Place the breaded zucchini in a single layer and spray more cooking spray on top. Bake at 425° for about 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with 1/2 cup marinara sauce for dipping.

Quick Marinara Sauce

Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 1/2 cup • Old Points: 1 pt • Points+: 1 pt
    Calories: 51.5 • Fat: 0.8 • Carbs: 9.0 g • Fiber: 1.1 • Protein: 0.1 g
    1 tsp olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, smashed
    28 oz cans crushed tomatoes (I like Tuttorosso)
    1 small bay leaf
    1 tsp oregano
    2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
    salt and fresh pepper to taste

Directions:

In a medium pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until golden, being careful not to burn. Add crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano, basil and bay leaf. Stir and reduce heat to low. Cover and let simmer about 20 minutes.

You can find this and more at skinnytaste.com....Love this site!!!!
  • liezelcha
    liezelcha Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Zunora
    Zunora Posts: 1
    Options
    Zucchini and feta fritters. Also, you can grate it into just about anything, cake, bread, stews, pasta sauces.