Weight Watchers vs. MFP

Options
Its_Haleeyyy
Its_Haleeyyy Posts: 39 Member
edited October 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
What is everyone's opinion on Weight Watchers? I signed up a few months ago and had some success and signed up again about a month ago. I like the community on there but found it restrictive, especially with me being a picky eater. I can't decide if I want to keep it and give it one more try or if I should just stick with MFP for now.

Replies

• WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    The meetings really help me lose more every month and keeps me more motivated because I see the results of my efforts or non-efforts more clearly. I feel like I am staying the same when I just weigh at home and not having real results. You need to work the program to lose the weight you want to lose though.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Depends on your personality and eating style. Tell me anything is free and I will binge on it. I left WW after many years online and finally lost weight and am maintaining that loss. For me WW was a waste of money. If you like the meetings and are learning useful things then maybe it will do more for you than it did for me.
  • ata1anta
    ata1anta Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Oprah is not exactly the poster child for sustainable weight loss.
    I choked on my drink at this

Though she's doing better (course with a personal chef, personal trainer, personal ....)

@Its_Haleeyyy I'm doing both WW and MFP. I'm not a huge fan of Freestyle so signed up with MFP for the macro tracking and more detailed accounting. I go to WW meetings and find that necessary for me. There are a lot of people on here who will deride you for doing a plan other than MFP, and they're entitled to their opinion. I think you need to find a balance that works for you. My cousin did WW online only and lost over 100 lbs.

IMO whatever you decide to do, stick with it. People keep re-joining because they get discouraged, drop out, gain the weight, rejoin. I was asked at a meeting in the Spring what keeps me going and I replied that I don't want to start over. I started with Online only and then upgraded to add in Meetings a couple months later. I would drop in on a meeting once a month and that was helping, but I need the accountability that in person meetings provide.

I'd considered Trevose Behavior Modification Program - but at the time I was too fat (their upper limit is 100lbs over). Its a free program that has weekly meetings. I don't know all the details, but if you're in the Delaware Valley, you might want to check them out (there may be a topic on it here somewhere).
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    The only thing that WW has over MFP are the meetings.

WW sells a system that works while you're on the system and paying for the system. It's not magic, and it works in exactly the same way as MFP (calorie deficit) only difference is that WW hides the solution behind their convoluted system to keep you dependent on their system and hooked by the wallet.
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    WW is literally just a fancy, complicated way to count calories that cost a lot of money. MFP is old school, easy, tried and true calorie counting and it’s free. There’s no competition
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    Options
    WW is literally just a fancy, complicated way to count calories that cost a lot of money. MFP is old school, easy, tried and true calorie counting and it’s free. There’s no competition

I disagree. MFP doesn't have meetings. If you are just doing WW online it would probably be easier and cheaper to use an app or website like mfp.
  • gingerninja110
    gingerninja110 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I’ve tried both WW meetings & on-line with very minimal results as opposed to MFP. MFP has helped me tremendously lose weight without the stress of having to go to meetings or feeling guilty if I didn’t log in on WW website, and feel as though I was wasting my money in the process.