Eye sight changes?

Anyone experience changes in your eye sight a couple months (more or less) into a program of eating more healthily and working out routinely? My contacts are driving me crazy the last week or so, and I'm wondering if my eye sight is improving. Yes, I will be setting up an appointment for a check....

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I know my eyesight seems to change but I was prediabetic. Getting healthier helped with the issues I was having because my blood sugar dropped. Do you have blood sugar issues?
  • Rini_s
    Rini_s Posts: 68 Member
    Well...I had slightly elevated levels - not quite pre-diabetic, but just elevated. Haven't had those checked in a while. I want to wait until I've been doing well for about 3 solid months before I repeat the lab testing. I'm not having any other health issues. BP is actually lower-normal, cholesterol (at last check) was slightly elevated, but not enough to be prescribed meds.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    edited January 2017
    I'm the same age as you. A year ago, I could watch TV from the top portion of my progressives and read the computer screen from the middle of the lenses. Now, I can only watch TV from the middle of the lenses and read from the bottom. Soon, I will have to update the prescription. It's age; it sucks.
  • Rini_s
    Haha. Yes, age is a factor. But I should say that my eye sight appears to be improving. I can see better without my contacts/glasses that I could several months ago. That is what is surprising me.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    edited January 2017
    Rini_s wrote: »
    Haha. Yes, age is a factor. But I should say that my eye sight appears to be improving. I can see better without my contacts/glasses that I could several months ago. That is what is surprising me.

I am nearsighted (negative corrective lenses). As I get older, the number keeps increasing toward zero, so I am becoming less nearsighted. New lenses are so expensive and I don't have eye insurance.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    My short-sighted eyesight has improved over time but I still need glasses, just not as strong as they used to be.

However, I now also need glasses for close-up work - threading needles is a particular bugbear at the moment!
  • Constant_Nova
    Constant_Nova Posts: 108 Member
    edited January 2017
    Yes! I had an appt last saturday. My eye sight improved with weight loss. I started to have headaches and it was time for my yearly anyway so I went in. Ive had glasses since grade school. I still need them but they are not as strong.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    My eyesight got better when I started having better sleeping habits, exercising and reducing stress -- 3 big factors in losing weight. It's also possible, although a bit far-fetched, that losing weight in your face has lightened the load on your eyelids.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Elevated blood sugar can cause the eye lens to swell so can affect your vision.
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    I have no hard statistics on the subject, but I have heard anecdotally of people's eyesight changing as a result of weight loss. It has to be fairly extreme loss (100lb+) and the person I heard this from was told it was a side effect of losing visceral fat in his eye sockets.

I've lost 90lbs and my vision certainly changed. In fact, it improved enough that I've had to replace my glasses as they are now too strong.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Nope, no changes here at all.

But, I have been terribly nearsighted (like 20/200) for as long as I can remember; have worn glasses or contacts since age 5 (am now 39), also have astigmatism and have had surgery three times for an eye muscle imbalance, so perhaps I am not the best example.

My contacts WERE driving me crazy a few years ago until it was determined I was allergic to most of the contact lens cleaning and storage solutions on the market. I am now wearing dailies. Eek, $700 a year, but eye comfort is worth it and my HSA is currently overflowing anyway so why not?
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Age is a factor. I recall a poster in the success stories who had lost a lot, triple digit loss. They said their vision did change. I don't recall how long the time frame is. No matter your getting checked.
  • Rini_s
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    I've never heard of that happening before. But what do you mean when you say that your contacts are driving you crazy?

I'm not seeing well out of them. I see better out of my glasses, but both Rx's are from the same time (around Aug 2016). I don't know if the contacts aren't fitting as well or if it is the Rx. I've only lost about 20 lbs, so this is just a bit weird and unexpected. I'll just have a check-up and let the doc figure out what's going on. Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    I know this is an old thread but I did a search before starting a new one.

Holy smokes, it has happened to me! After a 65 lb loss I noticed myself taking my glasses off while reading and using a computer. (I have progressives) I never put 2 and 2 together but it has to be the weight loss.

I can't see far away and put the glasses on to see far away but I think I need new specs!!!

Anyone else experience this recently?
  • joaniebalonie088
    joaniebalonie088 Posts: 93 Member
    edited October 2018
    It is normal for your prescription to shift throughout your teens and early 20s. Most people taper off around there, and then from age 40-55 they will slowly become less about to see up close without reading glasses (or, for nearsighted folks, taking off their distance glasses). Once you get into your 60s you’ll develop slow changes the lenses within your eyes that can induce glasses prescription changes (cataracts).

Sometimes the shift induced by cataracts is referred to as “second sight” because it is usually a myopic/nearsighted shift and those people that used to need readers for the computer can suddenly see the computer without the readers.

I work with an older/geriatric population so the top few culprits for big glasses changes/fluctuations I see are blood sugar fluctuations (diabetes), cataracts, dry eyes, and medications (like an oral steroid).

Changes in vision during exercise can rarely be symptoms of issues such as elevated eye pressure, MS, or ther exotic things so it’s important to have that type of thing checked out!
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Oh ok. I had better get an eye test then. Thanks.

I don't have coverage till the Spring but I don't want to mess with this. I guess I need to pay out of pocket but that is ok. I am just being cheap. ☺
  • theWODdoll
    theWODdoll Posts: 90 Member
    My eyesight improved after adopting a healthier lifestyle. I no longer need glasses or contacts. I used to have insulin resistance but don’t anymore. It’s not diabetes but similar, so I think the two were connected. Didn’t happen over night, just noticed that each time I went for a new Rx it was a lower strength until the last visit felt almost like I wasted the dr’s time since they said I don’t need corrected lenses. Congrats on the improvement!