Happy, but now what?

Options
Hi Guys! So, I found out last night that I am expecting baby #2!!! I am thrilled about the good news, but a little nervous about the weight gain. I had finally started to get into a weight loss rhythm! My first pregnanct wrecked my body, and I gained 60 pounds! Waaaay too much when you consider that I got pregnant at my absolute heaviest (216) :noway: ! I've been awesome in counting the calories and squeezing in workouts when I can.

So, here's the dilemma. How/ should/ can I continue the weight loss for the first few months? I know what to do (and not to do ) to stay healthier this time. I KNOW I'm not eating for two anymore! :wink: I guess I need to know if a controlled weight loss is healthy in early pregnancy. I can't gain 60 pounds (or more) again!

Any advice is welcome! Thanks a ton! ~RAY :happy:

Replies

• skinnyray
    Options
    Hi Guys! So, I found out last night that I am expecting baby #2!!! I am thrilled about the good news, but a little nervous about the weight gain. I had finally started to get into a weight loss rhythm! My first pregnanct wrecked my body, and I gained 60 pounds! Waaaay too much when you consider that I got pregnant at my absolute heaviest (216) :noway: ! I've been awesome in counting the calories and squeezing in workouts when I can.

So, here's the dilemma. How/ should/ can I continue the weight loss for the first few months? I know what to do (and not to do ) to stay healthier this time. I KNOW I'm not eating for two anymore! :wink: I guess I need to know if a controlled weight loss is healthy in early pregnancy. I can't gain 60 pounds (or more) again!

Any advice is welcome! Thanks a ton! ~RAY :happy:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    you'd be hard pressed to find a doctor that would encourage that. But if you are considered obese, it will probably be recommended that you gain nothing during your pregnancy. You definitely should speak with your doctor, perhaps he or she could help you work out a nutritional guide for just how much you should be eating, at your current size, during pregnancy. Congrats on the little one :flowerforyou: I'm so jealous :explode: everyone is getting prgnant but me, lol :laugh:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    in my vast experience of eating while preggers...(guess how much?) I would say a Doctor should tell you although Hippy Tam and others can help..
    congrats on #2...I was my Mom's #2 of 5 and the second child ALWAYS turns out the best:smile:
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Stick with it and keep exercising. It's "old school" to think that you're not supposed to exercise during pregnancy. Maybe take it easy during the first 3 months (keep heart rate below 150 and if you lift weights, switch to low resistance), but you don't have to stop exercising. Also, you may want to consult with your Dr. about what your calorie intake should be with a baby on the way. I'd guess that you need to add "healthy" calories if you've been restricting yourself. Healthy calories would be something like an apple with peanut butter, whole grain crackers with cheese, etc., NOT wasted calories from junk food or sweets. Congratulations and good luck!
  • heal4444
    heal4444 Posts: 709
    Options
    Congratulations on the good news!!!! Not sure of answer to your question except to speak to your obgyn doctor. Wishing you the best.:flowerforyou:
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me with my 4th pregnancy (which turned out to be twins). And, oddly enough, I gained the LEAST this time. (I was already 65 lbs overweight to begin with from my other pregnancies.) I found that if I stayed away from sweets, except for maybe once a day, and I just didn't eat huge portions, I was OK> I ate when I was hungry, didn't cut out any food groups, and only gained 30 lbs carrying twins. (I even made it through the holidays without a big gain.)

I think it's important to be sensible and eat when hungry when you're preggo.

By the way CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    BY the way, before we new I was having twins, the OB recommended I gained around 20 lbs b/c I was obese. (With twins they reccommended 35.)
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    jump%20happy.gif
    CONGRATULATIONS.

You're on the right track. You can still continue eating healthy and exercising, even while pregnant. I think most first time moms (me included) decided that since pregnancy was the only time being fat made me beautiful, I went for it all. But the aftershock when people were still asking me if I was pregnant wasn't that thrilling. So the second time around, I just got in the habit of being healthy so that after my bundle of joy was born, I was already in the right mind frame. You're doing great. Keep talking to your doctor and keep yourself monitored. And listen to your body. Each pregnancy is different. Take it one trimester (sometimes one day) at a time.