Gym after work

Options
I want to start going to the gym after work but have absolutely no energy by the time I'm off. I work 12 hour shifts and have really bad fatigue due to some health issues, but I need to start exercising regularly to help with health issues. Im wondering if anyone has a similar issue and what your trick is to push through it and make yourself go? My days off I can get there fine but work days are another story.

Replies

• shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    I have always ever gone before work but perhaps it's more to do with the mental block and once you actually get there you'd be OK?
  • Its_Haleeyyy
    Its_Haleeyyy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    shaf238 wrote: »
    I have always ever gone before work but perhaps it's more to do with the mental block and once you actually get there you'd be OK?

Yeah I've thought about going in the morning, I'd have to get up at 4 but I think once I just get myself out of bed I might be able to do it
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I started going to the gym for just 30 minutes at lunchtime. Was totally unfit so that was all I could manage anyway. I've now moved on to early mornings but I'm lucky with flexible work hours (I can easily work from home).
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    When I work out before work it sets the tone for the rest of the day. My energy level is up especially at the beginning of the day. I would try that. Yes you get up earlier but I think you may be more effective. The best part is if it doesn't work, change it up.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Are you ok once you get there? Once you get started are you good with an energy pick up and feeling good? If you are good once you start the issue is making yourself get there I would:
    - Maybe consider something other than the gym that you enjoy more. Really I lost a ton just walking a lot. I still am now that I can't run for a bit.
    - force it until it is routine. it needs to be non negotiable you leave office and stop at gym. This is what I do for running. While I started loving it, that took years. And some days I still don't actually want to leave the house (especially when it's cold and rainy) so it needs to be automatic no thinking. get home from work go change into running clothes go outside. nothing in between.

If you don't get more energy when you start you may need to plan a snack somewhere an hour or so beforehand to ensure you are good for the workout.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues, so I had to start going before work. I have to get up at an ungodly hour, but when I'm done, I'm done for the day and I can go home after work with a clear conscience.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I have similar problems later in the day. Rather than fight that, I workout earlier in the day when my energy and motivation is higher.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I get up early and do a workout at home before work. I go lift or run after work. If I feel tired, I have a little caffeine and just go anyway. Once there, I'm usually ok to finish.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Everyone prior to this has great advice on how to get to gym and create a habit.

For a different side of it: Can you work out at home? At least during the start, to get your body used to adding exercise routines to the schedule and get your brain to stop fighting the habit. Then you can move on to going to the gym once working out is routine.

There are tons of free videos on youtube, you can specifically search for ones that take no equipment to do. You can also find different time-lengths, to fit something around your already full schedule.

Not saying don't go to the gym, but starting at home may ease you into better habits instead of having to make multiple new habits at once.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Make it part of your schedule and just go. I always pack a gym bag and go straight from work. Maybe starting out, have some form of caffeine to boost your energy. Some days, I will drink pre-workout or an extra cup of coffee before gym time if I am especially tired in the afternoon. Ease in with maybe 2 after work gym days a week. Then add more if you like once that becomes routine.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I get up early a couple of days a week - I can’t manage more mentally. I exercise after work a couple days a week - I can manage that mentally. Friday is a rest day. Weekends are easy to manage. This is what works for me.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I go before I've really woken up so my brain can't work on a justification to not go. It's the only time I know I can set aside consistently so I'm at the gym 5:45 ish.
  • Eliza_8181
    Eliza_8181 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think even if you feel tire just go to the gym...after you start working out, you will forget you were even tired. Have a goal..like today im going to do a 20 mins workout on threadmill...you will see that you will end up stay longer. B) ..Good Luck.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Eliza_8181 wrote: »
    I think even if you feel tire just go to the gym...after you start working out, you will forget you were even tired. Have a goal..like today im going to do a 20 mins workout on threadmill...you will see that you will end up stay longer. B) ..Good Luck.

Yep, this is what I do. Gym time after work is part of my work day. I just go and make sure I know what I'm doing each day. I always feel better afterwards no matter how I felt before.

Also, if you work 12 hour shifts then how many days per week do you work and how many are you off? You may be fine just going on your days off if you have enough of them each week.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    shaf238 wrote: »

Yeah I've thought about going in the morning, I'd have to get up at 4 but I think once I just get myself out of bed I might be able to do it

I'm up at 4:30am to get to my gym by 6:00am - it's an hour commute for me.

Then work and another hour commute.

But then I'm a morning person and usually in bed before 10:00pm :)

I've gone a few times after work but it just doesn't feel the same...... doing it in the morning energizes me for the whole day.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I want to start going to the gym after work but have absolutely no energy by the time I'm off. I work 12 hour shifts and have really bad fatigue due to some health issues, but I need to start exercising regularly to help with health issues. Im wondering if anyone has a similar issue and what your trick is to push through it and make yourself go? My days off I can get there fine but work days are another story.

I have days like that as well but I go anyways and as soon as I start I have the energy and the drive back. As others have said don't go home first if you do it is too easy to stay home and not go. It gets easier once it is a habit
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Have you been doing any other type of non-work related activity? Consider starting with a walk after work each day. 15-30 min depending on what's comfortable for you.