How did I gain a pound

Options
How did I gain a pound in 1 day? I ate under my calorie goal. Curious this early morning I didn't have no food this morning, I weight my self it said 192 but last tuesday says 191??

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Since you obviously didn't eat 3500 calories over your goal yesterday, it's water weight. As far as the culprit, it's quite possibly sodium as it will make you retain water. Look at your sodium intake yesterday and the day before. Did you eat a lot of high sodium foods? If yes, cut back on the salt and drink plenty of water. It could also be that time of the month? I know I always gain a few pounds of water weight that week.

ETA: I took a peek at your diary and sodium was a bit high. It looks like you're becoming more cognizant of your sodium intake, so just keep figuring out which foods to avoid or to eat in moderation.
  • soknurdy
    soknurdy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Could be your cycle too.. I fluctuate 6 (I KNOW, right!?) lbs during the month.
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Since you obviously didn't eat 3500 calories over your goal yesterday, it's water weight. As far as the culprit, it's quite possibly sodium as it will make you retain water. Look at your sodium intake yesterday and the day before. Did you eat a lot of high sodium foods? If yes, cut back on the salt and drink plenty of water.

That is probably what I was thinking also.. or I am fixing to start my TOM.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I can think of a few things-. First, how good is your scale? Mine isn't as accurate as I'd like, and I find that I need to recalibrate it almost every day.

Second, are you weighing yourself with or without clothes? If you're wearing clothes and you aren't wearing exactly the same clothes as last week, that could do it.

Next, water weight. Any chance you could be retaining water? I know I do sometimes - especially if I've had salty food or diet soda recently.

And, lastly, and I'm sorry if this is a little crass, when did you last have a bowel movement? Some folks go regularly but some folks don't.

Bottom line is, don't be discouraged. Give it another week and try again.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    1 lb is nothing. dont worry about it. the scale bounces around for me all week. if after 2 weeks or a month you see one lb then there might be a problem but over night you could of just not had enough sleep or too much or it is too hot so you are retaining water. i find after i do a workout i gain a bit but it all eventually goes in the right direction. Because i am eating low calories and exercising.
  • jallen67
    jallen67 Posts: 19
    Options
    you could be gaining muscle.
  • francena84
    Options
    How did I gain a pound in 1 day? I ate under my calorie goal. Curious this early morning I didn't have no food this morning, I weight my self it said 192 but last tuesday says 191??

Its probably your scale. Is it a digital one?? Those things have a mind of its own
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Take a nice healthy poop :bigsmile: (yeah, I went there.)
  • jhendricks123
    jhendricks123 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You're always going to see "minor" fluctuations anywhere from .5lbs to even 5lbs for some people if you're weighing yourself day to day. I'm one of those daily weighers - most people will say DO NOT WEIGH YOURSELF EVERY DAY!!! But I personally like to see the day to day changes as it helps me to understand what different exercises and foods do for me on a daily basis. I don't let myself get worked up about an increase though because I know I'm eating healthier and being active. Because of that, I know I will continue the downward trend the next day or week etc.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I never do a weigh-in around my TOM. Ever ever ever... it will just make me frustrated and weepy LOL I always fluctuate up to 5 lbs. when I'm bloated and cranky and craving salty treats. Like right now.... I could totally eat some salt & vinegar chips with mustard on them. How grody is that?!?!?!?!
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options

I can guarantee you you haven't gained a lb of muscle in a day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Not likely on a calorie deficit. It's water.
  • Melky06
    Melky06 Posts: 9
    Options
    body weight can fluctuate 2-3 pounds in a day
    weigh yourself same time of day and have the scale in the same location, I would not weigh yourself daily, that will drive you insane. Why did you weigh yourself a days time?

** Also did you just begin exercise or do a lot of training that day, your musles when sore retain water because they need to repair the damage from exercise. I don't know the technical term for this.
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Options
    body weight can fluctuate 2-3 pounds in a day
    weigh yourself same time of day and have the scale in the same location, I would not weigh yourself daily, that will drive you insane. Why did you weigh yourself a days time?

** Also did you just begin exercise or do a lot of training that day, your musles when sore retain water because they need to repair the damage from exercise. I don't know the technical term for this.

Yea I just started this last week, and I know better not to weight my self every day but it is a habit, I guess. I just want to find out what is working for me yeah know. I think next time I am just going to do this once a week. And that's it.
  • flutatious1
    flutatious1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    don't feel bad. I gained 6 this past week. I've been burning at least 350 calories every day and have been under my calorie goal for 6 out of 7 days. I was so excited to say that I lost 10lbs too.... :-( I am hoping that it's just water retention because I feel bloated.....
  • SueInAz
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with weighing yourself every day as long as you don't freak out when you see the scale do its little ups, as well as its downs. I weigh myself every morning but only record new lows here on MFP. I'm also the kind of person who takes their temperature every half hour when I'm running a fever, too. I just like to know exactly where I stand, good or bad.

If the fluctuations bother you, it's definitely better to weigh yourself weekly and not go anywhere near the scale otherwise. I might also suggest measuring yourself and tracking that, as well. Sometimes when the scale isn't budging you are losing inches in your waist, hips, thighs and other areas.
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with weighing yourself every day as long as you don't freak out when you see the scale do its little ups, as well as its downs. I weigh myself every morning but only record new lows here on MFP. I'm also the kind of person who takes their temperature every half hour when I'm running a fever, too. I just like to know exactly where I stand, good or bad.

If the fluctuations bother you, it's definitely better to weigh yourself weekly and not go anywhere near the scale otherwise. I might also suggest measuring yourself and tracking that, as well. Sometimes when the scale isn't budging you are losing inches in your waist, hips, thighs and other areas.

I need to go buy me one of those meausre tapes. Does Wal-Mart sales them?
  • leilani♥
    leilani♥ Posts: 579
    Options
    water!!!!

I gained 3 lbs in one day because of water retention. The day before was my cheat day and I drank lots of beer and very little water LOL... dont fret :)
  • I_GoT_ThIs
    I_GoT_ThIs Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Take a nice healthy poop :bigsmile: (yeah, I went there.)

lmao I was thinking it. just didn't wanna say it. :)
  • SueInAz
    Options
    I need to go buy me one of those meausre tapes. Does Wal-Mart sales them?
    I know Target doesn't carry them. Wal-Mart would be a good place to look. Try the fabric/sewing area. Otherwise, I'd suggest a fabric store.