Turkey and Black Bean Chili Recipe

Options
Yes, despite the fact that we're in the middle of hot summer weather, I was craving chili! I thought I'd share my recipe :)

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound ground turkey
3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

Directions:

Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat; cook onion and garlic until onions are translucent. Add turkey and cook, stirring, until meat is brown. Stir in beans, tomatoes, chili powder, oregano, basil and vinegar. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 60 minutes or more, until flavors are well blended.

Added notes:
I made sure than the turkey was fat free. I added two cans of tomatoes instead of one because it looked like it wasn't enough. I also added a small can of tomato sauce. Almost all the canned goods were reduced sodium or no salt added. I garnish with shredded cheese when ready to serve.

Nutritional Info:
Depending on the brands you use, it will vary. When I added up everything in my own recipe, it came to the following:

Calories: 295
Carbs: 34
Fat: 8
Protein: 25
Sodium: 726
Fiber: 8

This makes roughly 6-8 servings.

Replies

• Wibikerlady
    Wibikerlady Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bump - This looks AWESOME!! I do a Turkey Taco Soup recipe too (kinda feels more like a chili actually)!! Will post that one here soon :)
  • ☆ShawnsMom08☆
    ☆ShawnsMom08☆ Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yum!
  • anevels
    anevels Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thanks for the information. i too was craving chili and because it's so filling. it's one of the dishes that i now include on a regular basis so i dont feel deprived
  • anchees
    anchees Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to save this for when the weather cools off a bit. :smile:
  • lisadlocks
    lisadlocks Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I was craving beans and the chili recipe sounds like a winner. I am having it for dinner tonight in hotlanta! I will add chipotles peppers to pump up the heat. Yummy and I look forward to sweating and cooling down my body!
  • ssdivot
    ssdivot Posts: 193
    Options
    Oooh this sounds great, I love chili! I'm going to try this recipe soon. Here is another one that I made last week and that is delicious, even though it has no meat in it...It's Quinoa Chili. I made the recipe as written other than leaving out the zucchini and it made 11 cups, with just over 200 calories per cup.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-and-black-bean-chili/detail.aspx

Thanks again for the recipe I'll be trying it out soon!