Show me your minimal home equipment

Options
My son has been sick, so I haven’t been able to go to the gym in awhile. So to work out this morning I used the kids’ step stool for cardio, the piano bench for squats, and my hand weights. What do you use at home?

j5abs579ys33.jpeg
qygld1dcyqg9.jpeg

Replies

• eleftheria1971
    eleftheria1971 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I too work out in my bedroom; currently following the Strong Curves advanced program.
    I have a barbell, adjustable dumbbells and a collection of plates to which I add on as i progress. Also bought a barbell stand as it was getting very hard loading and unloading barbell for squats etc.
    Dont have the space for a bench so i use a storage box for hip thrusts (have glued some padding on its lid).
    I use a chair for high steps and hyperextentions/reverse hypers.
    I think with a bit of imagination you can find lots of alternatives; if not, just find a substitute exercise.
    The only item I'd really love to have is a cable machine... but i just have no space left :neutral:.
    Guess untill my son moves out, resistance bands will do :)
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    A doorway pull up bar, a TRX clone ($20 on eBay and it does have the heavy duty straps) that I hang on the pull up bar, an exercise ball, a 18# kettlebell and a few smallish dumbbells. Mostly I use the TRX, exercise ball and pull up bar in order of decreasing time spent using them. There are roughly equivalent (exercising same muscles) TRX exercises for the things I used the dumbbells for before I got the TRX clone.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I have a mat, dumbbells and bands, jumprope and a gizmo you can jam in the top of a door to get pull down action. I'm lucky enough to have a decent treadmill and an okay stationary bike as well.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I have a mat, dumbbells and bands, jumprope and a gizmo you can jam in the top of a door to get pull down action. I'm lucky enough to have a decent treadmill and an okay stationary bike as well.

Same here with the addition of a Bowflex I bought many years ago. Not fancy but it all does the job. The treadmill and bike I only use on days when the weather is way too crappy to hike (below 0, snowing sideways because of the wind or raining cats & dogs).
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    If it wasn't raining this weekend it would be the rake and a wheelbarrow. Of course wet leaves weigh more and are slightly easier to rake.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Yoga mat, stability ball, dumbbells, resistance bands, and DVD player for assorted workout videos.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,617 Member
    Options
    Treadmill, dumbbells, yoga mat, pull up bar, Rubbermaid kitchen step, some bands, lots of videos. I mostly use the videos, some utilize the step and dumbbells.
  • Rocknut53
    Options
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    If it wasn't raining this weekend it would be the rake and a wheelbarrow. Of course wet leaves weigh more and are slightly easier to rake.

Here's my exercise for today (the leaves are buried):
    dd6siq4ueaxc.jpg
  • MIpiccolo
    MIpiccolo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Where do you live? I almost miss shoveling snow
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Here's my exercise for today (the leaves are buried):
    dd6siq4ueaxc.jpg

• Rocknut53
    Options
    @Mlpiccolo Montana
  • LindsayGii
    LindsayGii Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Cassey Ho PIIT app. Doesn’t need any equipment except a mat.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Treadmill, adjustable dumbbells that I also have a barbell for and a kettlebell type thingy to use with the plates, bands, a step stool, a Swiss ball, bench. I'm thinking of getting TRX knock-off stuff since I used to really enjoy doing that when I belonged to a gym.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Treadmill, adjustable dumbbells that I also have a barbell for and a kettlebell type thingy to use with the plates, bands, a step stool, a Swiss ball, bench. I'm thinking of getting TRX knock-off stuff since I used to really enjoy doing that when I belonged to a gym.

I paid $20 for my TRX knock off and it was from a US seller. That particular seller isn't listing more though. I have used them at PF and the one I got is an extremely close match. Thick wide straps, stirrups, easy twisting grips (those are plastic without the foam; about the only difference), adjusts as quickly/easily and doesn't slip. It even comes with the door adapter and bag. I am very pleased with it.

It is my most used piece of equipment by far. I love the way you can switch exercises so quickly to do circuit training. There are some great TRX abs exercises that don't kill my back. Plus the net is full of videos and articles on TRX exercises. I know I am probably speaking more to others that haven't used one than I am to you. About the only people I know that have tried TRX exercises and don't care for them are people who just don't like circuit training at all.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    YouTube videos and my free weights...3, 5, 7, and 10 pounds. I have slider discs too but since injuring myself don't use them. I also have bands I rarely use from physio