What does everybody do for DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)?

Options
I'm trying to figure out an exercise program that won't aggravate my fibromyalgia, but have been having even more trouble with muscle soreness and fatigue than I had anticipated. (Not expecting that anyone out there can cure fibro, but) I would like to try some of the things people use to ease muscle soreness and speed up recovery.

What do you do for sore muscles?

Replies

• Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Ramp up the exercise slowly, keep doing it consistently. Voltaren topical gel for bad acute DOMS.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I train with weights. If I get DOMS it's usually from a pivot week where I'm doing a indirect variation of a main lift. I just continue to train. The specific lifts that caused the DOMS are the ones that will relieve them by stretching the muscle while drawing blood towards them. The worse thing one could do while experiencing DOMS from lifting is not train.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,915 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Light stretching
    Hot bath
    Protein
    Tall glass of water
    Light exercise

Also don't overdo it to begin with.

Yes, I work really hard to avoid that last, and if not do the others.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Movement is the only thing that helps me. I continue with my regular exercise. If it's not a lifting day, then I do cardio which helps immediately. If it's a lifting day, I go as usual and am usually feeling normal before I finish my warm up.
  • jorichards2
    jorichards2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    The only thing that helps my fibromyalgia is to keep moving. If I have a bad day, I tend to do Marie winsor Pilates to stretch the muscles or have a gentle swim/ walk in the swimming pool.

I’m suffering this week because I tried to switch from cycling to jogging and my body’s rebelling. So gone back to gentle Pilates and swimming until the soreness eases before trying again.

Good luck fibromyalgia no fun but the more you do the more you get your life back.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    As with the above poster, the only things that help with my fibro are to keep moving and to not be overly aggressive in my training in the first place. Certain activities just aren't for me, and that's okay.
  • tecat810
    tecat810 Posts: 4,518 Member
    Options
    I don’t have fibromyalgia but to help DOMS I use my foam roller to roll out the sore muscles, and a lax ball if really bad at the hips and hamstrings.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Is your MD giving you anything to help with fibro? Gabapentin, lyrica? I'd not. Please get something. I used to work with a nice lady who when she had flair ups, you could not even tap her on the shoulder without her nearly crying! As far as doms? Well I can only do what I do. I never stop moving!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Walk, stretch and foam roll.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Walk, stretch, foam roll, and Epsom baths
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I just wait it out, nothing I did helped, at least not for more than a few minutes. I just learned not to overdo any new exercise in the first place.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    my friend who has fibro does stretching, aerobic exercise & the jacuzzi
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    In order of frequency:

(a) Suck it up. It will be worse tomorrow and better from then on.
    (b) Do yoga, or some sort of stretching program. It really does help.
    (c) Consider that maybe you're just pushing yourself beyond your limits. If your muscle pain and fatigue are intractable, there's no shame in dialing your workout back. Doing what you can safely do >>>>> doing nothing at all.
    (d) Just walk. Or move, somehow. DOMS is bad, but it's worse if you respond to it by not moving.
  • cstein71
    cstein71 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I do not have DOMS but I am in my fifties and getting back to exercising. I have had alot of success with swimming and water aerobics....great workouts if you get creative and easy on muscle soreness.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    - Gentle stretching after a session
    - Foam rolling muscles when I get home/before I go to bed

And If I've forgotten all of that and actually have DOMS: have a bath if it's really bad and do some stretching afterwards
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I lift weights, I only get DOMS when I change to a new program or do something different now, so not all the time.

What do I do for DOMS? I mostly just complain, and keep moving. I'm super busy though as a SAHM who homeschools and I often neglect myself because there are only so many hours in the day. They DOMS eventually sort themselves out.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't really do much, just let it sort itself out. My feet and my calves have been sore here and there because I've started running recently (within the last few months) and I have a little foot/muscle roller thing that I use, and I stretch a lot which feels good, but that's about it. The main thing is not to overdo it to begin with. If it's been a while since I worked out, I would ease into it slowly.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    It's rarely bad enough to do anything, but when it is I do yoga.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    You're reminding me of that one time I did Body for Life with my husband way back when. Weighted squats and lunges, oh my! When did the toilet get so low? And once I get there I think I'll just stay for a while because I ain't standing up! :lol: