NEW SNEAKERS HELP!

Options
2»

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Basically OP, spend the money on shoes now, or you will be spending so much more on drs and physios in the future. I have a few years running experience, and I know what a good shoe is for me. I bought a cheap pair once thinking they were a good shoe because they were cheap. Within about 2 weeks of using, I got an injury that stopped me running for a month. I went and got fitted for proper shoes, and the pain went away. Moral is - spend the money, you will save it in the long run.
  • jogetsgains
    jogetsgains Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Vibrams or any asic with the heel to toe gel work well for me.
    New Balance absolutely wreck my feet.
    Nike is good, but you will be buying a new pair right away. They break down quickly.
    I am undecided about UA. I got two pairs from them, one is great the other is decidedly not.
    This is all for me though, feet are pretty different from person to person.
  • krisleve7707
    krisleve7707 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I prefer Asics too! I used to wear New Balance but found the Asics fit better. I wouldn't skimp on sneakers since they make all the difference. I spend about $150 twice a year which i know is a lot for some but it's something I have to do to keep my feet happy!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I needed a new pair of shoes pretty quick and had a budget of about $30-40 and no specialty stores nearby. I bought a pair of Champion C9 shoes and they have been working very well for me. I am walking outdoors in them not running or using a treadmill. I read fairly positive reviews from people who had tried the brand.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I agree, go to a running store and get them to do a gait analysis. But you don't have to buy the expensive shoes recommended by the store - once you have your analysis you can search online for a better deal, or pick out some options and look for them on clearance at local stores. My husband did very well in mid-range sauconys which were not expensive but just happened to suit his running style and were cheap because they were last year's model. They were about $25 on clearance at Academy Sports.

For your first pair I recommend either trying them on in person or buying with a good return policy, since some of the shoes recommended to me have looked great on paper and just not felt right on my particular feet. REI has good sales and a one year no questions asked return policy. If you run in your shoes for a while and absolutely hate them you can still return them.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching after? It really helps.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    HOKA has lots of cushion, I love'em
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    HOKA has lots of cushion, I love'em

I ended up selling my Hoka's after ~50Km. They were the wrong choice for me and I regret buying them.

It's too individual an issue.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Asics have been consistently good for my feet. Saucony a close second ... I must have tried on over 50 pairs of shoes the first time out when I got truly serious about fitness and I kept going back to the Asics so I took a chance. I use Asics for speed walking and light jogging and Saucony for the gym, usually when I am weight training and doing some boot camp type routines.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and have a gait analysis done. Take their advice on shoes. There is no other reliable way to figure out what will work for you and no one else's recommendation will be meaningful.

^^ This.

Take their advice and buy the shoes (in the size) which they suggest.

Also, wear thin, moisture wicking socks.

Best of luck.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    This thread is making me smile in a wry way, because it's proving the point how individual feet are. Asics were a disaster for me, and they seem to be getting the most love here. Oddly, I ended up with the Asics after a gait analysis. They were the right type of shoe but we ultimately didn't get along. They were just the best of the bunch I tried on that day in the store.

The moral of the story is that you really can't ask for brand recommendations because what works for someone else might not work for you.

It's odd, but the best shoe for my verrrrry pain-ridden arthritic feet has ended up being a minimalist Merrell with hardly any cushioning but decent arch support. Second best are New Balance 1089's.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I agree, go to a running store and get them to do a gait analysis. But you don't have to buy the expensive shoes recommended by the store - once you have your analysis you can search online for a better deal, or pick out some options and look for them on clearance at local stores. My husband did very well in mid-range sauconys which were not expensive but just happened to suit his running style and were cheap because they were last year's model. They were about $25 on clearance at Academy Sports.

For your first pair I recommend either trying them on in person or buying with a good return policy, since some of the shoes recommended to me have looked great on paper and just not felt right on my particular feet. REI has good sales and a one year no questions asked return policy. If you run in your shoes for a while and absolutely hate them you can still return them.

IMO, this is a pretty poor thing to do. You are using the equipment and expertise of what is most likely a small business person then buying somewhere else. The store is most likely helping sponsor local events, helping local schools, hosting clinics etc that Amazon or Shoes R US isn't.

Agree with going to the running store and getting their suggestions. You can ask if they have last year's model on clearance or a lower cost alternative.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

IMO, this is a pretty poor thing to do. You are using the equipment and expertise of what is most likely a small business person then buying somewhere else. The store is most likely helping sponsor local events, helping local schools, hosting clinics etc that Amazon or Shoes R US isn't.

Agree with going to the running store and getting their suggestions. You can ask if they have last year's model on clearance or a lower cost alternative.

It's a large national chain.
  • kbs52582
    kbs52582 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Highly highly recommend Mizuno sneakers. I was having some pain in my ankles for a while and couldn’t run at all for almost a month. After the pain healed I switched my sneakers (had been running in older Nikes 😕) and got Mizuno sneakers by the recommendation of my coworker who runs Marathons. BEST sneakers hands down, they are so supportive during runs! I got them on Amazon for $60!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    This thread is making me smile in a wry way, because it's proving the point how individual feet are. Asics were a disaster for me, and they seem to be getting the most love here. Oddly, I ended up with the Asics after a gait analysis. They were the right type of shoe but we ultimately didn't get along. They were just the best of the bunch I tried on that day in the store.

The moral of the story is that you really can't ask for brand recommendations because what works for someone else might not work for you.

It's odd, but the best shoe for my verrrrry pain-ridden arthritic feet has ended up being a minimalist Merrell with hardly any cushioning but decent arch support. Second best are New Balance 1089's.

Seriously the most helpful comment here.