Friday pull core
Saturday legs

However this week made me do this
Modany push core legs
Tuesday pull and vacation start
Wednesday vacation
Thursday vacation
And friday I come back and did push and core
Saturday and it's raining a whole lots so I cant evenn walk to the gym. I usually walk everywhere and the cars are gone
Sunday is raining too so i cant even make up my lost pull and leg days and core!!!
Not to mention I've been eating like crap because of vacation and hangover etc...
What should I do!! Please help me! I need some advice :(

Replies

• PlasticGains
    PlasticGains Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Why can't you go out in the rain? It's just rain?

Dust storm and rain and winds stuck in arizona
  • PlasticGains
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Pick up as normal next week?

One week in the grand scheme of things is not the end of the world

(oh and dust storms suck donkey balls. Totally understand why you'd not want to go out in one)

Yea it's legit tumbleweeds that are wet. And should I lower calories and such? Or would my body need the same if not more for recovery?
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Can you do a makeshift workout at home? Squats and pushups and crunches, etc. Not perfect I suppose, but better than nothing.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Uh well... chalk up a bad day and rest. Who cares? You miss a work out. Life continues. I miss the occasional lift day. Sure, I go a little nutty, but as a coach told me, "*kitten* happens sometimes." As far as the drinking. Favorite quote here in video form.
    https://youtu.be/mkoPq5AOCOA
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm in Arizona also, started my day with a quick walk thru the rain. No dust storms here tho, or tumbleweeds, and I'm not sure if its going to rain tomorrow. Depends on where you're at in the state I guess
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    In the end, do something indoors, it can't hurt
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If you are disappointed in something that can be described as "finding yourself in a hole", the answer is always first to stop digging. In this case, you've returned from your vacation. Eat sensibly. Drink less alcohol. Exercise as you can.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It happens. I got really sick while I was bulking last year and I had to take a week or so off and I felt like I lost all my progress (even though I really didn't). Now I am cutting and few weeks ago I was away from home for almost a month doing random workouts here and there so I ate at maintenance just in case.

You are bulking right? One or two weeks won't derail your progress. I mean try not to overdo the cals, but even if you do, you will get back on the horse once you get back on track. Believe me I have been there so many times. You have to look at the big picture... the worst thing you could do is let one week discourage you.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Recover from your hangover. Your favourite recovery concoctions and, much more likely, water I hear help with this; not having a hangover in the first place helps even more :wink:

Resume your normal eating plan.

How big is your deficit? If your activity is severely reduced, your TDEE is reduced. It is unlikely to be otherwise even if you have a boosted caloric need for health recovery mitigating the reduction.

There is nothing wrong with taking the occasional maintenance day or two, and doing so won't hurt your weight loss long term.

But the full answers depend on your eating plan, your maintenance level, your current energy reserves, and your desired results... and depend much less on your precise exercise plan!

Exercise is only one of the things that your require food energy for. Living requires the majority of your daily energy needs!

I keep forgetting the forum is now General Health, Fitness, and Diet and no longer weight-loss specific. If you're bulking the same things apply: your TDEE will be slightly less and your caloric needs slightly less.

But really, what's the worse things that will happen if you eat at maintenance and not exercise? Your weight might change from water retention (reduction in water retention due to less exercise or from the effects of alcohol induced dehydration if such happens, possibly mitigated with increases in retention due to sodium).

But your muscle mass and fat mass are unlikely to be particularly affected long term by a couple of days of off plan eating.
  • PlasticGains
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Uh well... chalk up a bad day and rest. Who cares? You miss a work out. Life continues. I miss the occasional lift day. Sure, I go a little nutty, but as a coach told me, "*kitten* happens sometimes." As far as the drinking. Favorite quote here in video form.
    https://youtu.be/mkoPq5AOCOA

It's a week though:((
  • PlasticGains
    Options
    JustMe602 wrote: »
    In the end, do something indoors, it can't hurt

Suggestions? My apartment isnt very large.
  • PlasticGains
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    It happens. I got really sick while I was bulking last year and I had to take a week or so off and I felt like I lost all my progress (even though I really didn't). Now I am cutting and few weeks ago I was away from home for almost a month doing random workouts here and there so I ate at maintenance just in case.

You are bulking right? One or two weeks won't derail your progress. I mean try not to overdo the cals, but even if you do, you will get back on the horse once you get back on track. Believe me I have been there so many times. You have to look at the big picture... the worst thing you could do is let one week discourage you.

Thank you so much :)
  • PlasticGains
    Options
    Recover from your hangover. Your favourite recovery concoctions and, much more likely, water I hear help with this; not having a hangover in the first place helps even more :wink:

Resume your normal eating plan.

How big is your deficit? If your activity is severely reduced, your TDEE is reduced. It is unlikely to be otherwise even if you have a boosted caloric need for health recovery mitigating the reduction.

There is nothing wrong with taking the occasional maintenance day or two, and doing so won't hurt your weight loss long term.

But the full answers depend on your eating plan, your maintenance level, your current energy reserves, and your desired results... and depend much less on your precise exercise plan!

Exercise is only one of the things that your require food energy for. Living requires the majority of your daily energy needs!

I keep forgetting the forum is now General Health, Fitness, and Diet and no longer weight-loss specific. If you're bulking the same things apply: your TDEE will be slightly less and your caloric needs slightly less.

But really, what's the worse things that will happen if you eat at maintenance and not exercise? Your weight might change from water retention (reduction in water retention due to less exercise or from the effects of alcohol induced dehydration if such happens, possibly mitigated with increases in retention due to sodium).

But your muscle mass and fat mass are unlikely to be particularly affected long term by a couple of days of off plan eating.

Sorry to ask but this is for the whole community. If one were to do severe diets and bounce off fraud diets often would that have damaged their metabolism? I remember when I was first entering the fitness and health realm, I read about fasting and CICO based on fasting aka for a man you can lose2 pounds of fat in 2 days etc... which after research later, I found to be false. So I've done weird crap like the 3 day military diet, prolonged fasting, the south korean model 800 calorie diet etc... I think those might have screwed up my metabolism but I'm not sure... when can you tell? Because for myself, my tdee based on calculators should be around 2800 calories. Also for my brother, hes 16.5 and his tdee is around 3000 and hes gone thru these wack diets with me. Did both our metabolisms get screwed?

I'm hoping you guys can provide research as well ^^
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Are you bulking or trying to lose? What are your calories in over a period of 4 to 6 weeks? What are your trending weight results over a period of 4 to 6 weeks? How far off are your expected results from your trending weight results? Do you feel that you're performing strong when you're exercising or are you telegraphing/faxing/emailing in your workouts?

Is adaptive thermongenesis a possibility? I believe that the answer for many people is that it is and that it may well bring some challenges when it comes to meeting goals sometimes, especially after a prolonged period of doing the same thing.

Are there mitigation strategies available?

Yes, re-feeds and diet breaks for people in the process of losing, or a prolonged slow bulk restoring lean mass to pre-weight loss levels, or even just a prolonged period eating at maintenance are all strategies that can be used to reduce/mitigate adaptation leaving relatively small / no changes.

Is adaptive thermogenesis enough to make it impossible to meet goals?

It depends on the reasonable-ness of the goals and on the duration and size of the stress you have applied/are applying: i.e. how much you are pushing your body.

NO, A.T. will probably not hinder (too much) a male trying for 24% body fat, or a female trying for 31% body fat (the high end of average). The same may not be true for a male trying for 13%, or a female trying for 20% (the top end of athlete level). The impact of a large deficit in the two cases will not be the same in terms of the body's response.

Hinder does not equal make impossible. There is no real need to point out to me that the Minnesota semi starvation experiment applied a 50% deficit while the normal weight participants were eating more than 1500 Cal a day... and that they still lost weight. And they also ended up with long term psychological and physiological effects as a result, which is probably not something we want to emulate...

I think that there is currently sufficient evidence to say that many people can be partially impacted by AT and that the impact can be substantial (in the 20% of TDEE range and even more so if exercise is "same-o-same-o" and forms a large component of TDEE).

I think that Kevin Hall's models seem to be pointing to fairly universal impact that is mostly based on duration and size of deficits in conjunction with fat available to be lost. Additionally other, in my opinion, well respected researchers, seem to believe that some manipulation of hormone levels, especially as people get to be leaner, may mitigate AT and help achieve end results faster than just trying to push through.

There does NOT seem to be unequivocal evidence as to % recovery and best strategy for recovery from AT and I can't say that I find the evidence clear as to how much of an effect remains once deficits have been removed from the equation and a new weight level has been maintained for a substantial period of time.

As a general note: most quick loses seem to be associated with the manipulation of your glycogen levels and as a consequence the water level in your body, and similarly quick gains seem to be associated with water retention for various reasons. Fat levels are seldom fast changing.

If you want links to AT related research you can look through the stickies at the top of this section and read through the first few posts of @EvgeniZyntx's thread.

You can also look at the first post of @Nony_Mouse 's re-feeds and diet breaks thread which is also a sticky.