What do you do when you are craving sweets?! Besides fruit or peanut butter?

Options

Replies

• vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    In October? Candy corns. So I eat them. They're dreadful. Straight up sugar. I might as well take an IV to my vein. But it's a childhood love. :)

too funny...I think these may be the one candy out there that I absolutely hate! lol!
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    chromium picolineate killed my sweet tooth
  • amyjsparkles
    amyjsparkles Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    I cry.

And then my salty tears make me feel a little better.

xD

Seriously though, I buy these candy bars, called Endangered Species chocolate with sea salt and almonds. They break into these cute little squares. One square is about 30-40 calories I believe. So I can get a little taste of something sweet with very few calories.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I eat a reasonable amount of sweets.

Peanut butter isnt sweet. At all. So I definitely wouldnt try that.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    If I want something sweet, I eat something sweet. A small serving of chocolate ice cream or a pudding cup, sometimes a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup. I’ve learned from past experiences that completely denying myself whatever I’m craving just leads to an unhealthy binge later so I look at my calories and save a few for a small treat. You don’t have to eat super healthy food 100% of the time.
  • NewTnme
    NewTnme Posts: 258 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I eat cheese. Sharp or mozzarella stick. It takes my craving away immediately
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    A sweet potato, if I have the calorie space available; or, a dried date or apricot - eaten verrrrrrrry slowly.
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    If eating sweets is not feasible at the time, sugar free gum or tictac/altoids
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    amy19355 wrote: »
    A sweet potato, if I have the calorie space available; or, a dried date or apricot - eaten verrrrrrrry slowly.

I can't even imagine my reaction if I wanted chocolate and someone gave me a sweet potato...
    Not criticizing what works for you, it just made me smile how I would react to it

It probably works for me because I’m not really a fan of chocolate. I’ve always had a sweet-vegetable tooth: and root veggies in particular appeal to me: cooked sweets, beets and carrots; slow roasted for extra sugary goodness.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

I can't even imagine my reaction if I wanted chocolate and someone gave me a sweet potato...
    Not criticizing what works for you, it just made me smile how I would react to it

It probably works for me because I’m not really a fan of chocolate. I’ve always had a sweet-vegetable tooth: and root veggies in particular appeal to me: cooked sweets, beets and carrots; slow roasted for extra sugary goodness.

I understand! It just made me imagine birthday candles in a sweet potato. That's the last thing I would think of as a replacement for sweets.
  • tecat810
    tecat810 Posts: 4,496 Member
    Options
    A piece of dark chocolate.
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I'm with the sweets-eaters. If I can hold off till the nexy day, I can plan so that I can have a nice treat that will leave me super satisfied. If not I keep several of the 100 calorie candy bars in my snack drawer. I usually keep them out of sight out of mind, but if a viscous sugar pang hits, I can savor one slowly and become a reasonable human again.

Having said that, I also have a few tricks involving sugar free sweets. Nothing against sugar, I love sugar but cutting it out of a recipe is a great way to keep calories down. For instance...
    One box of sugar free yellow cake mix
    One can of diet sunkist
    One box of sugar free cheesecake pudding
    One cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    One 8 oz tub of light cool whip

Mix the cake and the soda and bake in an 8x13 pan.

Mix the milk and the pudding then fold in the whip cream.

Top the cooled cake with your whipped cream mixture. Slice into 12 squares.

^ Orange creamsicle cake coming in at 170ish calories per slice.

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have popsicles or a couple hersheys kisses. Usually, I crave fruit though. My weakness is salty foods.
  • leannamvaughan
    leannamvaughan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My cravings come late at night. I have a cup of herbal teas. Some of them can be very sweet to help the cravings! Then I can have a calming treat to relax and help me get ready to sleep too.
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have a sweet daily, this is for the long run, and there's no way I can go thru life without sweets. So I plan accordingly
  • Charlene____
    Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I also like Fiber One products or I’ll eat Andes Candies. 25 calories a piece.
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    In the past, whenever I would diet it I would eat 100% clean until I would give up and go back to eating everything I want. This time, I figured I would try eating 3 healthy meals a day with lots of veggies while keeping enough calories for a sweet treat after dinner. This is a way of eating that I could see myself keeping up longterm. So far so good! Lately I've been having either a square of chocolate with a tiny bit of peanut butter on top, or a half a cup of vanilla ice cream with sprinkles. I also like that it gives me something to look forward to and it is guilt free since it is planned and accounted for.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I save 200-300 calories so I can have dessert at the end of every day. Usually chocolate or ice cream. If I'm craving during the day, I know I'll have to give up my dessert and I usually don't want to do that.

I usually have chocolate and ice cream in my daily allowance. Got to get priorities right.
  • rebesuec
    rebesuec Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com. They have a ton of recipes including lower calorie desserts with healthier ingredients. It's my new favorite recipe site!!!