Too much salmon?

Options
Is there a cause to worry about mercury levels in salmon? Specifically farm raised? On average I eat anywhere between 16-28 oz a week - a 4 oz serving most days as part of my after gym meal.

All of the info I can find in my searches says a limit of 12 oz a week for pregnant or nursing women, but nothing about men or non pregnant/nursing women.

Replies

• kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    From my understanding, fish is high in selenium which binds to mercury. I think you're fine. Salmon typically has lower amounts of mercury compared to other fish. The benefits of fish far outweigh what mercury there is.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    kam26001 wrote: »
    From my understanding, fish is high in selenium which binds to mercury. I think you're fine. Salmon typically has lower amounts of mercury compared to other fish. The benefits of fish far outweigh what mercury there is.

That's what an RD told me, when I was eating tuna 3 days a week.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    Alright then. Thanks guys. I really didn't want to give up my daily smoked salmon, its one of the only things I can eat day in day out and not get tired of.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the good to know info.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I eat salmon, tuna, and sardines daily as well. And I often worry about this, but honestly I also think if I worried about everything I would end up starving.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Also, the RD for women and children is going to be lower because they generally have a higher body fat percentage. Mercury is stored in body fat.
  • dyfalbarhad
    dyfalbarhad Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I saw a list of fish with mercury contamination and salmon is not considered to be a risk