what activities/exercise do you love?

Options
jacksonpt
jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
I always enjoy talking with people about the line between enjoying what you're doing (exercising, eating well, etc), and simply doing what you're supposed to because someone said it works or is good for you.

What does everyone really enjoy? What types of exercise to you genuinely look forward to? And what do you do simply because it works?

I'm a big cyclist (road and mtn), and any time in the saddle is a good time to me. I've done a century ride and a few solo 4+hr mtn bike rides, no racing though.
I run a little... I generally enjoy it once I get going, but for some reason it's hard for me to get motivated... 10k is the longest I've done. I'm trying to get into trail running a bit.
I'm starting to get into triathlons, but I only swim as much as I have to. I've done a couple of sprint tris, doing an olympic in a couple of weeks *yikes*

I don't like lifting, but I like the way I feel afterwords, and you can't argue with the results, so I lift from time to time (more in the winter than in the summer).

Replies

• JennieD2
    JennieD2 Posts: 66
    Options
    I absolutely love boxercise. It is the most intense cardio workout I have ever done and I always ache over the next couple of days - but I really do enjoy it very much!!!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Riding my ATV in the woods of Maine
    " " my snowmobile " "
    Snowshoeing (burns 500 calories/hour woo hoo!)
    X-country skiing
    hiking
    Centergy (power yoga combined with Pilates)
    Kayaking
    Zumba
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i enjoy step aerobics!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing with bag and gloves.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba! I look foward to that more than any other class.

I take a few other classes at my gym (like cardio camp, and cycling), but I usually hate my life while I am doing it, but afterwards i feel like a boss so I continue to do it. haha
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Run/walk/hike/circuit training with kettle bells/Bikram yoga/dance, usually Belly dance.... (not at the same time and not in this order) =)
  • Sk1nnyMoo
    Options
    I absolutely LOATHE every second of running. However, I LOVE competing in races (5k, 10k, half marathons, mudathlons) even if it's just to beat my past time. Also, the feeling I have after running is seriously better than an orgasm. Now that's motivation!
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    ZUMBA!!!! LOVE going to these classes, doing it with a dvd or on Wii! LOVE MY ZUMBA! I also enjoy using my elliptical machine.

What do I hate to do but do because I know I should..... hmmmm..... I guess the worst thing is not picking when I feel like picking at food. Making healthy choices and watching what I buy to eat.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio. I haven't always hated it....my struggles wirh exercise bulimia turned me off to it. I do run sometimes still, but not like I used to.
    As for what I love...strength training. Weights, kettlebells, trapeze, aerial silks...I love pushing my strength to the limit and look forward to my next strength workout. I also look forward to yummy protein shakes afterwards. :)
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I love cycling and spinning class, hiking/backpacking, and snowshoeing.
  • solflyer81
    solflyer81 Posts: 119
    Options
    I m loving turbofire and the results i m getting from it-i do prefer the HIIT workouts to the straight cardio (because I hate stuff that takes long lol). In a perfect world though, I would swim every day for hours. Have loved swimming all my life, just dont have the luxury of being able to do it as often as I would like. I also like lifting. Hate running/walking, HATE it.
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've been running for almost 5 years, so of course running! But I also adore roller skating! I am in training to join my local roller derby team and our practices are two hours of intense skating. Totally love it... look forward to it every week! I also like Pilates, Jillian Michaels' 30-Day Shred, swimming, and occasionally yoga.
  • overzoelous
    overzoelous Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Not a big fan of running, but I love the way I feel after!
    I LOVE yoga, kickboxing, martial arts, and swimming.
  • Packerfan23
    Packerfan23 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I LOVE :love: Body Pump!! It is my favorite class to go to, but I also enjoy Zumba and just tried Body Step, which I think in time will become another favorite.

I am also love to get out and ride my bicycle...it is something both my husband I enjoy and it gets us outside. The longest ride to date is 50 miles!

I am in week 5 of C25K...I am not a runner by any stretch of the imagination and I am very slow... (I just used my Nike Ipod connection thing last night for the first time and it said I was averaging a 15.1 minute mile...so for a 5K, that would put me at over 45 minutes...so I know I am very slow :blushing: :ohwell: )...however, I am trying it and am training to do my first 5K with a friend of mine on September 24th. And I am enjoying the process. :smile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Zumba and hiking. I like biking but don't have anyone other than my husband to bike with and he is too hard core (go as fast and hard as possible all the time) and likes to ride on trails that I find pretty dangerous. I'm more of a lesiurely ride on a rails to trails type of gal. So ... just Zumba and hiking, I guess.
  • dedpetal
    dedpetal Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love bicycling!!! I love yoga!!! I don't mind running, but like you, it's hard to get started. Literally, it hurts my calves for the first quarter mile, then i'm all good. I've done 2 sprint Tri's, but have switched over to duathlons this season. I'm not a strong swimmer, and open water swimming intimidates me. Biking and Yoga are my two faves, I'd do them everyday if i could!!

I thoroughly enjoy exercise and I do not feel like myself if I don't get some in at least 5 days a week.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Yoga! :smile:
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Hiking, yoga, snowboarding, spinning (in that order).
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    LOVE yoga. I go at least 4x a week. Love long bike rides (we try to do ~25 miles once or twice a month). Love hiking in the spring and fall. Really like my kickboxing class, but I have to be careful about my shoulders. Like running, but only when I have a goal in mind.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Cycling, I absolutely love it! I love riding for miles and seeing the country side