Healthy breakfast options

Options
Hi all. I'm looking for help on what some healthy quick breakfast options might be. I'm a nanny by profession but I don't go into work til 11 am. I eat lunch and dinner with the family I nanny for and they want to eat healthy so I don't worry too much about during the day eating. I know I need to eat breakfast to get my day metabolism started but I get bored of the same thing every morning. Cereal, toast, carb this carb that....fruit, yogurt, granola etc. Does anyone have any night before prep ideas or quick moring things I can do to have a well rounded breakfast to jump start my day? Thank you in advance for your help.

Replies

• emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I like hard boiled eggs--cooked the night before, they are just as portable as a piece of fruit!
  • anberlingasm
    Options
    An omelette can be great in the morning, especially if you make it without the yolk. Low-calorie and plenty of protein to kick-start your metabolism.
  • muppetkeeper
    muppetkeeper Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have 50 grams of porridge oats, made with water, and a teaspoon of greek honey, with a cup of freshly brewed coffee, 215 calories, and love it. Takes 5 mins to cook, so I make my lunch whilst I'm waiting.

MK
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I have a toasted english muffin with one laughing cow cheese and sliced tomato. My sister in law has the same but with canadian bacon. I also switch it up with reduced fat peanut butter and honey.
  • Sk1nnyMoo
    Options
    i've recently become the crockpot queen of soups and stews. (what can i throw in there today?!) I often have that for breakfast even though it's not a "breakfast" food.
  • madalynkgordon
    Options
    I love a good banana and lower-sugar instant oatmeal, which usually have between 110 and 130 calories per packet. They both keep me full until lunch time!
  • abg0220
    abg0220 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Look at Hungry Girl's Egg Mugs....tons of options and very good ideas!!
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    Eggs & a small bowl of cereal, great start to the day!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    breakfast burrito - scrambled eggs, a little cheese, salsa, veggies and a low carb tortilla. Yummy, filling and healthy.

If you're in a hurry, scramble up a bunch of eggs - and just reheat it in the morning (tossing it all into a tortilla so it's portable). OR... make up a breakfast casserole (omitting potatoes from most recipes) so you can juist re-heat it in the morning.
  • thagberg5232
    Options
    I microwave a egg or egg beaters (takes 1 min), Thats my protein in the morning. Other times I have instant oatmeal. You could also try a smoothie
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    During the week, I often just have a protein shake. On weekends, I like eggs + fruit. I usually eat one whole egg and two egg whites, and then a small bit of fruit (grapes, apples, strawberries, bananas, etc).
  • krissecugal
    Options
    Thank you all for the great ideas...keep 'em coming...haha.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I have a peanut butter sandwich on wheat and a cup of coffee. Great source of protein and fiber. Coffee is for the jumpstart. Usually I finish my breakfast in the car on the way to work.
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Eggs, yogurt, skim milk, and celery. :D
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Try Jimmy Dean's collection of turkey-sausage based quick microwave breakfast stuff. I like their turkey sausage better than other brands (not a paid spokesperson, BTW... just a fan)

Turkey Sausage Bowl (230 cals)
    2 Turkey sausage patties or 3 turkey sausage links (120 cals)
    Turkey sausage "griddle" (french toast with large patty) (220 cals)
    Turkey sausage muffin (260 or so cals)
    Griddle stick (pancake batter with turk sausage link inside) (180 cals)
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    You could try this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi-aSE2YupU It's actually pretty good....I treaked it a tiny bit by using a cup of rice and 2 tbls of raisins.....the original recipe wasn't quite filling enough for me.
  • Chai814
    Chai814 Posts: 1
    Options
    Cream o wheat casserole

I pour boiling water over 1 serving of cream o wheat and let that sit for a few minutes while I'm getting ready. Then I stir in a raw egg and microwave it for 2 minutes, checking on it once to avoid egg-tastic explosions. That's a filling carb and protein for under 200 calories. Cinnamon, banana, honey, soymilk, and jelly are good additions. It looks prettier if you use a container with steep sides like a cup rather than a bowl. You can also make a larger casserole, or prepare a single serving the night before and just heat it up in the morning.
  • maritza327
    maritza327 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com has some great options!!! :bigsmile: