Starting Keto... any advice?

Options
Just started Keto and trying to figure the % out. Any good apps or direction in narrowing my counts down?

Replies

• suebee110
    suebee110 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've started keto a month ago. I set whichever percentage is closest to 35g carbs (as I only count net carbs and MFP doesn't adjust this) Protein at around 1.5 grams per kg of my body weight (I workout 2 -3 times per week- strength training) and the rest fat. So my %ages look like this: Carbs 10% Protein 25% fat 65%.
  • Islandlass2
    Islandlass2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. I recently started keto. It immediately normalized my blood sugar. There is a a very good macro calculator at KetoConnect on YouTube. The site also has lots of good advice and recipes. And Matt and Meghan are very cute and motivating. :smile:

I'd love to meet other Keto followers. I'm disappointed that MFP offers so little help. Net carbs should have been corrected by now. People were complaining about the lack in 2015.
  • ruffneckred
    ruffneckred Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hello, I set my percentages at 5% carbs, 15% protein, and 80% fat. I try for under 20g carbs, but I suppose I average under 50g, never over 100g. I don't test for ketones, so I possibly am in and out of ketosis. One pitfall, and this is just my opinion is that changing the way you are eating will be "hard" on your body, ie, the Keto flu. I think it is all based on what your diet was beforehand. I seemed to have it easy but my first change was no bread, then I learned about carbs, and sugar etc. So short version is I eased into it, didn't really avoid the flu, but wasn't the terrible ordeal some claim. I something THINK, that people try it and don't like it because they combine the changing of the foods consumed with eating at a deficit. I suspect more would be successful if the did it one step at a time. Also, underlying medical conditions, known and unknown to you, being aware and observant is important.
  • MrCity
    MrCity Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald wrote a very good book about keto diets and setting them up. General guidelines are keeping your carbs under 50g or so.
  • dmcnur
    dmcnur Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey into <20g net carbs a day from who knows how many, but a lot!!! I did feel pretty horrible for a couple of weeks but nearly 1 year on I feel that this was the best thing I could do for myself. I have lost 78 pounds and my health has not been this good for many years. I was medically supervised and still check in with my doctor periodically. I have been maintaining for about 3 months now. My macros were set at 20g net carbs a day but usually was <15g, protein at about 1g per kg per body weight and the rest of my calories from healthy fat. It worked out about 5% carb, 20% protein and 75% fat.

Keep it simple, log everything and no cheating, especially while becoming fat adapted, as this can trigger cravings. However everyone ketos in different ways and you will eventually find what works for you. It is not necessary to buy expensive supplements and prepare elaborate substitute recipes. Simple wholesome unprocessed foods and good quality fats are all you really need.

MFP is a little backward, but you can still search the database specifying net carbs and you will often find a listing for the item you want.

Good luck on your journey.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    5-10% carbs is the norm, usually under 20-50g. Protein is usually 20-35%, with most aiming to get at least 70-100+ g of protein a day to help reduce lean mass being lost (going to low in protein is too common in keto'ers IMO). Fat is usually 75-60% for most but there is variation.
  • TallTravelGirl
    TallTravelGirl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use the Carb Manager app...it’s one of the best I found. MFP is terrible for carb counting. But logging everything, and staying around 20 Net Carbs is the way to go. No cheating at all! There are so many alternatives out there so you don’t feel deprived. Pinterest is your friend. Huge Keto community on Instagram also. Much better than MFP I think. So many Keto products out there also. It can be expense though. But in the end it’s an amazing lifestyle and I love it. I’m down 25 pounds since July 2nd. Good luck!