Dear MFP So Frustrated

Options
Dear MFP,
I have been on this site for awhile now and have not lost anything!. I consistently stay at my NET goal calories, I eat my exercise calories, etc, drink TONS of water and yet I have lost and gained the same 3 pounds over and over. I have tried the "Upping" the calories but that makes me gain weight. I am a total loss and just feel like giving up. I have even considered going to the doctor to get my blood and thyroid checked as I can not understand how I can eat this amount and not lose weight. Just so done!

Replies

• JenniferFalasco
    Options
    Ug - how frustrating! Is it possible you're not measuring your portions correctly?
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Are you using MFP's estimates for the calories you've burned for exercise? They could be overestimated
  • chris5432
    chris5432 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    HI there..I am having the same frustrations as well. With me, I know i need to clean up my eating a bit and cut out the occasional junk. It can't hurt to have your thyroid checked....underactive thyroids run in my family and I've been screened already. Good luck :smile:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    If you've been very careful about what you're eating, working out, drinking water, etc and you aren't losing weight... then perhaps a visit to your doctor is in order. A lack of weight loss after adjusting different things (calories, exercises, etc) is a sign there may be something else going on.

I say - go to your doctor and ask for a full blood work-up. If nothing is wrong, then you know you haven't hit on what makes YOUR body happy. It something shows up, you'll be able to treat it and move forward.

Good Luck to you!
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    taking just a quick look at your diary, it looks like there are a lot of days when you are over... not by a lot, but it adds up. You do seem to be eating pretty healthy though... maybe try to exercise a little more to even it out?
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I looked back through your diary, and it seems that there are quite a few days when you're far over your calorie goal, and those days are not balanced by an equal amount of days where you're under. When you eat your exercise calories, your balance at the bottom of your food diary still needs to come out close to 0.

You might also want to throw in some strength training at least 3 days a week, if you're not already. Building muscle will help you burn more calories, as well as toning up your body.
  • tanyizzle
    tanyizzle Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would say watch your sodium. I looked at your diary and you go over by a lot most days.
  • Tweety379
    Options
    I have been having the same problem. I have only been on this site for about 3 weeks. Within the first week I lost 2 pounds and gained it back within 2 days. Then I have stayed the same for the last two weeks and finally this morning I am down 1.5. Before this, I participated in a Biggest Loser Challenge at work and was able to only drop 3 pounds. and used another site similar to this one. I have managed to keep that off. All I can say is to keep at it. You could be gaining muscle weight or eating the wrong types of foods. I have been working on that myself. Even though I stay within my calories, I am choosing the wrong types of snacks. Hope this helps!
  • Visser1971
    Visser1971 Posts: 131
    Options
    Hi there,

I took a look at your diary and it looks like you are over most of the time. Plus (if I am to be frank, and I can be frank, right?) cheetos for or with dinner is not really a good idea as it will put you into a munchies mode (in my experience).

Try to go back to the basics. Meat, veg, starch for dinner each night - the veg should be 1/2 the plate, meat 1/4 and starch the other 1/4. Try it for a week and keep drinking water and I bet it will work for you.

Hope this helps. You are free to check out my diary if you want.

Cheers, Christy
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It can never hurt to get checked out by a doctor.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I would say watch your sodium. I looked at your diary and you go over by a lot most days.

I noticed the same thing...try cutting back your sodium intake.
  • Hananiah
    Hananiah Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I know there are people that will disagree, but according to the trainer at the boot camp I went to over the summer the calories burned shouldn't be eaten if you want weight loss.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    I will go as far as to say that Food Quality is even More important than quanity, as it's not just about calories in vs calories out...the type and quality of the food you're eating plays a huge role in whether or not you're activating your fat burning systems.

There are lots of process carbs in your diary....Ice cream bars, cheetos, snack bars, plain bagels...all of which are simple carbs that spike your blood sugar causing insulin release which hinders your fat burning.

Where are the vegetable servings and whole grains (real whole grains...not processed)?

As well, what you eat before and after your workouts and when plays a key role in your overall metabolism in how you store fat on your body.

Educating yourself as to what makes you as an individual the healthiest is by far the best tool you can use in a long-term healthy lifestyle and body.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Staying under or at your calorie goal every day would be a good start. Beyond that eating less processed food.
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I know there are people that will disagree, but according to the trainer at the boot camp I went to over the summer the calories burned shouldn't be eaten if you want weight loss.

That is *IF* the caloric level you're eating doesn't already have a weight loss deficit built in. The MFP program DOES have a deficit already built in, which is why the program calls for you to eat your exercise calories.
  • LoriannMM
    LoriannMM Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was having difficulties too. Talked with my personal trainer at the gym and we discovered the hidden sugars and hidden sodium was the issue. I added the sugar count to track, much easier. Made a HUGE difference. Something to think about! I also thought it was my thyroid acting up but it wasn't (and I am on medication for thyroid). It was the hidden sugar!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Try cutting back on sodium, you seem to be over on that most days.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Just looked through the past week of your diary. t looks like you are eating 3 times a day with a small snack somewhere in the mix. Additionally, Lunch is your heaviest calorie intake with dinner following. When you exercise, is it in the evening? Your body doesn't burn as much at rest that throughout your day (assuming you sleep at night, rather than work)

If I may make a suggestion, try balancing out your intake on your meals AND increase the frequency you eat. Eat less, more often. Break your meals out proportionally to 20% / 15% / 20% / 15% / 20% / 10% (The last "snack" of the evning have it be something like a banana)

Feel free to add me for more encouragement :)
  • LoriannMM
    LoriannMM Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me the same thing, Mike. I don't eat my extra calories either :)
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I agree that a trip to the doctor cannot hurt. Something that worked for me, especially at the beginning was planning the week out and eating the exact same thing every day. It totally gets boring but you are guarenteed not to go over your daily calories and it helps to cut out the junk and extra snacks.

Hang in there. The only thing that will definately not work is not trying.