The scale, it LIES!

Options
How is the picture with my hair down seriously better looking? I weigh 8 lbs less in the "worse" picture. I am sure my scale is possessed. I feel gross even though it is supposed to feel better to have a scale victory, which I did till I saw the progress pics.

Does anyone else feel gross even though they weigh less?

Replies

• potatolife
    potatolife Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The pictures aren't showing right on my phone, but I'm pretty sure this is normal. I definitely remember being happier about some of my heavier pictures along the way.

Keep it up! It's an emotional journey don't let it discourage you :smile:
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    Failure to credit our successes seems to be widespread problem in weight loss. It’s a way that our brains try to wreck us. Push back.

Don’t know if this works for you, but I try to stick to basic facts. Fact is, you’ve lost 8 lbs.

Since your brain can’t erase that progress, it moves on to stage 2 and tells you it’s “not good enough.” The most common “not good enough” post here is the “I only lost X” post. You’ve done it with pictures.

I’m maintaining now, but I looked at all losses this way. Every lb, even every .2 lb, was a data point between me and GW. Every point needed to be crosssd off my list and was therefore worthy of note.

But note worthy is not earth shattering. A part of sticking to facts, is controlling expectations. Don’t know what you had in mind in terms of what an 8 lb loss would mean. But if you want to keep losing, make yourself a long term chart and bask in the glow of the downward trend. And work at keeping the trend going.

As to the pics, it’s clear that you’ve lost weight. The picture with your hair down is clearly better looking because it shows off your red hair and women with red hair are always seriously better looking in my book.

Last thing- just talking appearance, if you haven’t, maybe mark your progress with something new to wear. New clothes made a world of difference to me. Came as a big shock.
  • 73CL350
    73CL350 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Often it's an issue of proportions ... me personally, i lose fat in my arms and legs first ... so halfway through my stomach looks every bigger. I have very stubborn belly fat. So when the rest of me gets thinner my stomache looks even bigger than before in a progress pic.
  • Autumnhovey757
    Autumnhovey757 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Failure to credit our successes seems to be widespread problem in weight loss. It’s a way that our brains try to wreck us. Push back.

Don’t know if this works for you, but I try to stick to basic facts. Fact is, you’ve lost 8 lbs.

Since your brain can’t erase that progress, it moves on to stage 2 and tells you it’s “not good enough.” The most common “not good enough” post here is the “I only lost X” post. You’ve done it with pictures.

I’m maintaining now, but I looked at all losses this way. Every lb, even every .2 lb, was a data point between me and GW. Every point needed to be crosssd off my list and was therefore worthy of note.

But note worthy is not earth shattering. A part of sticking to facts, is controlling expectations. Don’t know what you had in mind in terms of what an 8 lb loss would mean. But if you want to keep losing, make yourself a long term chart and bask in the glow of the downward trend. And work at keeping the trend going.

As to the pics, it’s clear that you’ve lost weight. The picture with your hair down is clearly better looking because it shows off your red hair and women with red hair are always seriously better looking in my book.

Last thing- just talking appearance, if you haven’t, maybe mark your progress with something new to wear. New clothes made a world of difference to me. Came as a big shock.

Oh, thank you for this. I wish I was a ginger. That lighting was just wonderful. Someone from my real life pointed out the lighting and said maybe I should do these pics in the same room at the same time of day in the future. I now can't wait to get to my permanent home so I can do just that. And you're right about the checklist. If I don't like how it looks then I should use it as a starting point for some body sculpting.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

Oh, thank you for this. I wish I was a ginger. That lighting was just wonderful. Someone from my real life pointed out the lighting and said maybe I should do these pics in the same room at the same time of day in the future. I now can't wait to get to my permanent home so I can do just that. And you're right about the checklist. If I don't like how it looks then I should use it as a starting point for some body sculpting.

Same room/mirror/lighting is a good idea. Also, many people (myself included) find the middle part of weight loss actually looks worse than the beginning (unclothed, anyway). As you lose fat, skin that was once full starts to be dragged down by the remaining fat and may also look lumpy and bumpy and feel very jiggly. But take heart! It gets much better as you reduce your bf% and your skin shrinks to catch up with the fat loss :smile:
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Same room/mirror/lighting is a good idea. Also, many people (myself included) find the middle part of weight loss actually looks worse than the beginning (unclothed, anyway). As you lose fat, skin that was once full starts to be dragged down by the remaining fat and may also look lumpy and bumpy and feel very jiggly. But take heart! It gets much better as you reduce your bf% and your skin shrinks to catch up with the fat loss :smile:

I will second this for solidarity. The first 10 or so pounds, I felt I looked terrible because instead of the skin being tight, it was loose, but I hadn't lost enough for it to be visible. Essentially, I had just become "softer". It wasn't until after 20 pounds that I was really able to see enough of a difference in my body to make up for the, for lack of a better word, "squishy-ness".