Been seriously inactive for 4 years but want to try 21day fix..more...

Options
Hey all. Ive not only been inactive for 4 years but ive speant a lot of that time in bed or on the couch because of depression. My body (neck, shoulder, back) is sore every day because of the laying around and some times I tweak things really easily (like cleaning litterboxes, picking up cats) and I almost can't move the day after cleaning the house. Im getting old too haha so I know i need to get serious about getting active and healthy...
does anyone have any suggestions for me to AVOID getting INJURED? Do you think there is a high chance of me getting injured if I did the 21 day fix workout program? I want my muscles to get moving to help with the pain ive been having without injurying myself and causing more pain.. Thoughts? Experiences? Thanks!

Replies

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Start with yoga. When you fell better, you can add in...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    start slow... walking or swimming are good as they are low impact. go to a class if you want to start yoga.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend starting with a few weeks of brisk daily walks first, yoga is not a bad idea if you're into that, especially since that is one of the workouts in 21 day fix. I don't think jumping straight into those workouts will be beneficial to you, if you don't work your way up slower you'll most likely get so sore you'll want to quit more.

I've always found yoga to be painfully boring and have bailed on every yoga plan I've ever tried though, so I'd say don't be discouraged if you find a certain aspect of the workouts to be more frustrating/hard/annoying than the others. Oh, and don't worry if you need to repeat a week. When I first got serious about getting active I started doing the 30 day shred, it took me more like 6 weeks to actually get through it, because I wouldn't let myself move up levels until I could actually complete the previous levels workouts.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I agree, start with walking. If and when you do start the 21 Day Fix, do all the workouts through once with no weights, following the modifier. Then continue to follow the modifier until you have form down and it's getting easy. I enjoy the workouts, but they do move fast and it's easy to overdo a move or do it sloppily at first, and that's a surefire way to hurt yourself. I also add a full rest day and spread the advertised schedule out, as the gimmick is that they are trying to get you results FAST, but fast isn't all that great when you are starting out. Good luck!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    What about working with a trainer in order to make a routine for yourself? One that you can tweak as you get stronger.
  • RunZumba
    RunZumba Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I tried doing the 21 day fix when I was recovering from injury, and even with the modifier, I got even more injured trying to follow the 21 day fix program. So I quit about half way through. If you've already got some physical aches/pains/ailments, I wouldn't recommend jumping right into the 21 day fix. I would recommend following what the other posters here have recommended: Start with some walking at what feels comfortable for you, and each day that you go for another walk, try to pick up the pace just slightly. Before you know it, you'll be walking faster and further than you ever imagined. Then you can slowly add in some light weight training, and then start on the 21 day fix.
  • Boyergirl_inoside
    Options
    Thanks all! On good days i walk with my dog. I can walk and walk with no problem so that's a good :) I can try yoga.. hopefully it wont be too boring for me :wink: I dont have any injuries thankfully, just a lot of achyness from being so damn lazy.
    Id love to get a trainer but since I don't work I cant afford lol.. maybe i should start a gym and do those training classes they give you for the machines. Ill have to wait for 21dfix maybe.. thanks!