Morning workouts

Options
I want to start going to the gym before work but have the tendency to keep on sleeping when the alarm goes off.
Does anyone have any tips?
Also do you eat before the workout?
I was think of just snacking on a banana or an oatmeal drink.
and if anyone has any routine to get toned or lose belly fat it is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• FitNessaYXE
    FitNessaYXE Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I usually do something called fasted cardio, where the only thing I have during my morning workout is water. I do weights after work because I don't lift well in the morning.
    Also tip: sleep in workout clothes and lay out everything you'll need at night.
    You can add me if you like!
  • avj_78
    avj_78 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I usually do something called fasted cardio, where the only thing I have during my morning workout is water. I do weights after work because I don't lift well in the morning.
    Also tip: sleep in workout clothes and lay out everything you'll need at night.
    You can add me if you like!

Re: the clothes. I did this this morning, by accident! I happened to sleep in tights I usually go to the gym in. When I woke up at 530am and started having my usual "should I-shouldn't I...?" conversation, I realized that it was easier to get motivated b/c I was already half dressed. lol.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I don't eat before I work out or run, I just drink about half a cup of coffee and drink water. No tips for getting up and doing it, other than just do it. That first time is always the hardest. It's all downhill from there. This morning I was having that "should I" conversation with myself. I really didn't feel like working out. I had set my coffee maker on auto-brew at 5am, so hearing my coffee downstairs really helped. I decided I would just get up and drink my coffee and lounge on the couch, because I really do enjoy my "me" time all by myself, and then once I was up I was like, well I may as well work out.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "I want to start going to the gym before work but have the tendency to keep on sleeping when the alarm goes off.
    Does anyone have any tips?" When the alarm goes off get out of bed and do what YOU want to do. If what You want to do is stay in bed, go ahead. Your life, your choices.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    A few things...
    • The first couple of times you do it, it will probably suck. You just have the bite the bullet and get up and get moving.
    • Doing things like getting your clothes around and setting your workout plan the night before help reduce excuses come morning.
    • Most people find that it does get easier if you stick with it.
    • Ultimately, it just comes down to what you want more.
    • Eating is entirely individual. I rarely eat before I workout, other people feel like they have to. It's entirely up to you if/what/when you eat.
    • As for toning and fat loss, start with the basics - manage your intake and get some exercise.
  • DancinYogi87
    DancinYogi87 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been sticking to a morning workout routine for a couple of years now. I love it! My day just isn't the same if I don't get up and put in a workout. It really helps set my attitude and mindset for the day. Knowing how much better I feel on workout days helps me to stick with it.

Pick a time that you know for sure you want to be up by, and stick to it. I'm up at 5:00 and working out by 5:30 Monday thru Friday. On the weekends, I don't put in a workout but I'm still up by 6:30 most of the time.

I invested in a light up alarm clock. Here is a link to what I bought. The one I purchased is more expensive but it seemed to have better features, and I couldn't be happier with it. Also, in case you're worried about waking up a bed mate- mine doesn't have an trouble with the alarm. He just rolls the other way or pulls up the blanket. :D

Either wear your workout clothes to be, or set them out the night before. I sleep in yoga pants, so that makes it easier for me to just roll into working out.

I do eat before my morning workout. Not much, but enough to keep me from feeling sick half-way through. I typically have a small handful of almonds and raisins.

A preworkout can help too. I like Cellucore C4.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options

Big things that help me is making sure I have the easiest path possible between my alarm going off and me getting my workout in; I mix my preworkout the night before, lay out my workout close next to it in the bathroom, print out my workout sheet, sometimes I'll even make sure my weights are in order the night before. Honestly, I leave myself a buffer to snooze or just be slow-to-go to. Eventually it just becomes routine.

It takes some getting used to but there's a big portion of it that's you just deciding it's a priority. Getting to bed on time instead of watching one more episode on netflix, reading one more chapter in a book, or whatever. Especially with the weather getting colder it can be difficult to drag myself out from under the nice warm covers but I know I like the net effect of working out more than an extra few minutes in bed.

I don't eat anything before my workout, protein shake after for breakfast.
    if anyone has any routine to get toned or lose belly fat it is greatly appreciated!

You'll get "toned" and lose belly fat by being leaner and revealing some muscle underneath. Manipulate your diet to create a consistent caloric deficit and select a proven published resistance training program to improve your overall musculature. Assuming you're a woman by the username, Strong Curves is a very popular proven program albeit very glute-focused.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're going to sleep 8 hours before your alarm goes off.
    Set the coffee pot the night before.
    Lay out your gym clothes the night before.
    Set alarms for every five minutes or you know, just get up.
  • myhands4God
    myhands4God Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I do like to hit the snooze button often but when I am in my routine I sleep in my workout clothes so all I have to do is put my gym shoes on. I change it up by working out in my home gym or videos
  • BeePosp
    BeePosp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue two years ago when I decided morning gym time is the way to go. I actually got a puppy! There was no ifs or buts when it came to getting up! It worked like a charm :) Two plus years later I am down to a solid morning routine, and my now 2.5 yo dog sleeps in while I am at the gym!

As far as losing belly fat, well, there is no such thing. If you eat right you will lose fat. From everywhere. Period. Keep the protein intake high, your weights heavy, and carbs under control. Do not go nuts on cardio, you will not see the full results of your hard work put into weight training. I used to eat a Greek yogurt before gym, now I just have black coffee and eat a protein rich breakfast an hour after gym time. I do weight training 5 times a week, and 90 minutes of cardio per week. Someone told me I had the perfect body yesterday at the super market :smiley:

Good luck!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You can get used to it. I've been training in the early morning for 8 years now. It's a great way to start your day!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Clothes sorted and laid out the night before. I don't sleep in them, but they are ready to go.

I have coffee, oatmeal and a banana before I go to the gym. Not a big breakfast but enough to kill the rumbles.

I go to bed by 9 and my alarm is set for 5. Also helps that the dogs are wanting to go outside about that time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I want to start going to the gym before work but have the tendency to keep on sleeping when the alarm goes off.
    I was think of just snacking on a banana or an oatmeal drink.
    and if anyone has any routine to get toned or lose belly fat it is greatly appreciated!

When the alarm goes off, get out of bed and get going.

For myself personally, after a few failed attempts, I just decided it wasn't my bag. My workouts and/or rides always sucked in the early AM. It would be nice to get those things out of the way, but my performance is just lousy first thing in the morning.
  • megasdgfg
    megasdgfg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used to wake up at 4 am naturally and eat carbs for breakfast for energy (so oatmeal and a banana is perfect) and watch some YouTube till 5 and then head into my garage to workout and finish at 7. Then eat carbs and protein for a post meal Think about doing a home gym so it’s right there if you don’t wanna go to far.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    For many, many years I worked out in the early mornings before work. I loved it! Got to work all energized and rosy-cheeked and didn't have to think about it for the rest of the day. Granted, in the winters it was difficult. Mornings were dark and cold and I had to fight with myself to get my butt out of bed and schlepp to the gym. But I always did. Now I am retired. And the odd thing is, I don't HAVE to get up early, and now I have a home gym in my basement so I can work out anytime I want. But I still work out in the early A.M. Just got used to it...go figure....
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    First, why do you want to go to the gym in the first place. Is your why compelling enough and based on self-love? If you had to pick up your spouse at the airport at 5:30am, where would you be at 5:30am? Your why has to be that important to you.

Then, establish strategies that help you accomplish this such as:
    1) Preparing the night before (like @avj_78). Pack your gym bag, have your clothes ready, etc.
    2) Put the gym time on your calendar. When you wake up, you see that meeting reminder on your phone.
    3) Consider hiring a trainer or getting a training partner. It is harder to skip out when you have that accountability.
    4) Make a Ulysses Contract where you bet a friend to have a punishment if you don't do what you've said (like a political contribution to a party you are against). Not showing will cause a pain that you don't want.

As for eating, I workout fasted. Give that a shot. If you don't have the energy, then yes a banana is probably fine.