too much exercise

Options
My husband is worried I am working out too much. Is that possible? Right now I work out for about an hour and half 5 days a week. I am planning to double up two days a week. Adding about 30 minutes on those days.
I am eating most of my exercise calories so i don't see a problem. I am also steadily losing weight

Replies

• Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    It is only a problem if you are doing it while hurting to the point of an injury

OR

Combining it with very low eating.

There is a form of Bulimia where people binge then excercise excessively without eating to "work it all off" This obviously is not what you have planned since you eat most of your excercise cals
  • Chinni_2011
    Options
    I went to a health class yesterday and learnt that - Exercising Intensive workout for 30-45 mins is important (3 times in a week) , than working out for more than an hour everyday. They said, if you are able to workout more than 45 minutes, then obviously your workout is not intense enough.

To conclude, Shorter intense workouts are suggested for better faster healthier results.
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Though it is possible to overtrain if you're working out for 1.5-2 hrs a day 5-6 times a week I wouldn't worry about it. If you were doing 5 hours, 6-7 days a week it might be a bit much but keep in mind that every person is different and your body should tell you if you've done too much. Keep up the good work and invite him along for the ride, he might just be jealous of the time you're spending apart.
  • emmabeckemeyer1
    emmabeckemeyer1 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    It is only a problem if you are doing it while hurting to the point of an injury

OR

Combining it with very low eating.

There is a form of Bulimia where people binge then excercise excessively without eating to "work it all off" This obviously is not what you have planned since you eat most of your excercise cals
    Thanks that is my opinion too! I have enjoyed eating almost anything :laugh:
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    maybe he is jealous of the time spent away from him :cry:
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Base it on how YOU feel... do YOU feel like you're overworking yourself? It sounds like you're doing great... I work out for 2 hours 6x a week. If I don't do it that much I feel lazy and unaccomplished. Like the other poster mentioned, just make sure you set aside enough time for you and him to spend together as well.
  • emmabeckemeyer1
    Options
    I went to a health class yesterday and learnt that - Exercising Intensive workout for 30-45 mins is important (3 times in a week) , than working out for more than an hour everyday. They said, if you are able to workout more than 45 minutes, then obviously your workout is not intense enough.

To conclude, Shorter intense workouts are suggested for better faster healthier results.

I have heard of this for weight lose too. I am training for a triathlon so I need long workouts...thank you for the information though
  • emmabeckemeyer1
    Options
    I work out mostly when he is at work. We do workout together twice a week but I'll talk to him and see if that's an issue. Thank you
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    It's also an issue if you're never letting your body rest. If you're exercising constantly without resting your muscles you increase the chance of having exercise related injuries including to the ligaments. If you're training for a tri, are you following a tri traing schedule from a reputible source?