Keto diet

Options
Starting Keto for prediabetic any advice?

Replies

• dmcnur
    dmcnur Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple, log everything, keep to <20g net carbs a day and avoid cheat meals/days especially while becoming fat adapted. Cheating can trigger cravings for sugary or carb filled foods. Drink plenty of water and increase your salt intake and watch your electrolytes as your kidneys will be working more.

I was insulin resistant, pre-diabetic, hypertensive, suffered from reflux, weighed 92.8kg and was generally very unhealthy. I am now off all medication, no longer showing insulin resistance, no reflux and as of today have been maintaining my weight at 57.5-58.5kg. My profile picture shows before and after.
  • NeeceeMT
    NeeceeMT Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have been doing Keto for about 6 months. My A1C was 6.2% when I started. I went in for blood work again about a month ago, and I am now at 5.2% and in the normal range. I feel a thousand times better. My daily goal is 20 total carbs a day. I do not eat any sugar and very limited amounts of berries only. I eat fatty meat, cheese, eggs, heavy whipping cream, half and half, limited amounts of vegetables, nuts and fat bombs sometimes and make some keto desserts. Good luck!
  • HeyJulya
    HeyJulya Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My advice:
    Keep your NET carbs below 20 (then your cravings for carbs will practically disappear); Don't overdue the protein, if you eat low-fat protein sources, add real butter or bacon fat to the cooking process; Select uncomplicated foods that your grandmother would recognize on a plate (unprocessed meats, eggs, fatty fish, fresh veggies & herbs); Eat veggies that grow above ground / dark leafy greens (no grains) & avoid starchy & root veggies (potatoes, onions, carrots, peas, corn); Read all food package labels so you don't accidentally eat a lot of carbs (e.g., high fructose corn syrups); Educate yourself on the various sugar additive names and avoid them if in ingredients list; Track your foods in myfitnesspal (at least for the first month so you see the macro nutrients on foods you like to eat); look online for recipes that are low carb/high fat so you will feel satisfied; Stay hydrated!; Add table salt (sodium) and NoSalt (high potassium) to your drinking water; take a magnesium supplement daily (I add mine to my Bullet Proof Coffee in the blender every morning); watch YouTube for inspirational tips, testimonials, recipes, etc. (it will keep you motivated); drink true Bone Broth (simple to make yourself in electric pressure cooker) to replenish electrolytes; Eat only if you are hungry and stop when you are satiated (note, sometimes you are just thirsty, so drink a little before you eat, or have bone broth with your meals); Don't be surprised if you experience little appetite or mild nausea in the first weeks, and a case of the "Keto Flu" and fatigue - it too will pass; Take pictures and measurements NOW, because you will look back and wish you had (for comparison); STICK WITH IT.