RV living complications

Options
Fork29
Fork29 Posts: 7 Member
My family and I are living in an RV temporarily thanks to Hurricane Florence while our house is being repaired. We are very limited on storage space, especially fridge space, and somewhat limited on cooking options. I need to start trying to lose some weight, but I don’t really know how to go about it right now. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Replies

• Earthfyre
    Earthfyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    When I was being good and on the road I would make zoodles (zucchini noodles) most nights. Not sure if you like zucchini but you can keep a few on the counter and they are fast and easy and take a lot of toppings well. Apples/celery/bananas and cheese/peanut butter is also great snack. I'm sorry for your loss.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Can you find space for an instant pot? That would be my go-to method of cooking if I were stranded somewhere.

The main thing is to keep logging, which will help you stay within your calories whatever you eat. Just have smaller portions if you need to, and you will learn which foods are better choices for you.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Stir-fries with whatever meat and vegetables you have lying around can also work well.
  • Nicksmom106
    Nicksmom106 Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Hugs🌼 and I'm so sorry for your ordeal, but at least you all are safe thank God!!!👍💗

I think just do what you can and stock up on foods you like first, protein will help keep you full and things like peanut butter and tuna can be stored in cabinets...even high fiber cereals etc....won't take up too much fridge room.

Main thing is don t sweat it and do what you can, you have so much going on now...take care of yourself hon!!!🌻
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    When Im in my van I use the BBQ outside most days.. BBQ meat with veg.. grilled corn, mushrooms, tomatoes, potatoes , zucchini etc.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    BBQ is the way to go, I have found the fridge and a cooler to keep things refrigerated. Also some plastic totes for the things that don't need refrigeration.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I would start with exercise. It will help you manage your stress and get you moving in the right direction. Also, just get rid of the junk food and then when you get situated again you can ramp it up by food logging.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    @crazyravr there are many posts on here that I deem first world problems, but this isn't one of them. the op's family was forced out of their home. Furniture, heirlooms, family photos, things of sentimentinal value are most likely destroyed. Everything feels out of control, so maybe she thinks that losing weight is the one tangible area to focus on. Show some compassion.

OP, I'm sorry about your home. Be kind to yourself. Maybe instead of focusing on losing weight, try to create some healthy habits. Healthy eating as suggested above, Talking walks, stretching, journaling, etc. Pick one thing at a time, then build up from there. Good luck!

No. The area to focus on is the get back on your feet, and get their life back to normal. Think about losing weight when you have the time, will and the funds to get you to where you want to be. For now, deal with the big issue at hand.

Which I'm sure they're doing. Sometimes the best and easiest time to make lifestyle changes is when your lifestyle is drastically changed for you. Very unfortunate situation for the OP and everyone effected but this may be a good time to make some dietary and activity changes for herself and her family that they can then continue using once they are back home.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say that I'm sorry about your situation. I know it's traumatic. I'm glad you and your family are safe!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    @crazyravr there are many posts on here that I deem first world problems, but this isn't one of them. the op's family was forced out of their home. Furniture, heirlooms, family photos, things of sentimentinal value are most likely destroyed. Everything feels out of control, so maybe she thinks that losing weight is the one tangible area to focus on. Show some compassion.

OP, I'm sorry about your home. Be kind to yourself. Maybe instead of focusing on losing weight, try to create some healthy habits. Healthy eating as suggested above, Talking walks, stretching, journaling, etc. Pick one thing at a time, then build up from there. Good luck!

No. The area to focus on is the get back on your feet, and get their life back to normal. Think about losing weight when you have the time, will and the funds to get you to where you want to be. For now, deal with the big issue at hand.

Which I'm sure they're doing. Sometimes the best and easiest time to make lifestyle changes is when your lifestyle is drastically changed for you. Very unfortunate situation for the OP and everyone effected but this may be a good time to make some dietary and activity changes for herself and her family that they can then continue using once they are back home.

Agree. But why complicate the issue even more? She said she has no place to store nor to cook in the trailer. By doing what you guys suggest she is just over complicating her current position.

Ugh, quoted before I could fix my typo.

Anyway, not necessarily, referring to the bold. It may be a time to simplify things and try new foods and different cooking methods. I'm not arguing with you. Just presenting a different viewpoint as I see it. Either way, I hope it all works out for the OP and her family.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Fork29 wrote: »
    My family and I are living in an RV temporarily thanks to Hurricane Florence while our house is being repaired. We are very limited on storage space, especially fridge space, and somewhat limited on cooking options. I need to start trying to lose some weight, but I don’t really know how to go about it right now. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Seriously? At a time like this you worry about losing weight?

#firstworldproblems

Until you have experienced a life altering event that leaves you homeless, you have no right to judge and even then, how you respond may be much different than how others do. When I had my housefire, I was still concerned about my health. First world problems include worrying about your health. In fact, at the time, my health was pretty much all I could control in a world of sudden chaos.

This. Sorry for what you went through.

Op, if you haven't already, go to your government building and apply for emergency assistance. It might take a couple of months to kick in, but you will need it even if you are back at home (I assume the transition will be tough). Also check places of worship that are giving out vouchers for food, clothes, transportation expenses, etc. They may also have emergency funds for people in need. It won't hurt to ask. Hang in there.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    You're facing major upheaval in your life (among stressful situations, losing one's home to a natural disaster ranks right up there!) I'd say focus on keeping portion sizes of whatever foods store well and are easily prepared where you currently are in line, but put concerted focus on weight loss toward the back burner for now. Wishing you all the best!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry to hear of your situation. My family had a housefire. I shared an extremely small living space for 3 months with my husband and two teenage sons. One of the things that helped us was investing in good coolers, not Yeti but Coleman Xtreme. We got three and they hold ice for about 5 days in the hottest part of summer, 7 in the milder months. I cycled them so that we always had cold food and drinks. (put ice in one on Monday, another Wednesday, etc so you always have the freshest ice) I invested in an electric grill, skillet and an instant pot. I was able to pretty much cook anything I wanted for a family of 4 with those three items. If you are in a campground, take walks and meet your neighbors. There are some fantastic people in campgrounds. Some other tips, buy as much frozen food as you can to put in the Xtreme coolers - it helps save on ice cost and keeps them cool for even longer. There are some really great healthy recipes for the IP. Another helpful thing I bought were the inexpensive plastic drawers. It gave me more space in my cabinets. I bought a cheap, fish-cleaning sink that I used to wash dishes. By moving my kitchen outdoors, it gave me much more space to cook and more space inside our little pop up. Another tip, if your insurance company is covering your losses you can ask for a portion of your refund up front to help pay for the emergency needs you have. I used that money to buy the things we needed to adjust to small living. I'm glad you and your family are safe. Good luck to you. This is what our set up looked like.

y1xqe6lzm6ha.png

Great advice! I am going to look to see how much of this I can incorporate into my emergency planning.

OP, I can only relate my camping cooking to your situation. I assume you have some kind of a grill? Grilled meat with foil veggie packets always go well with no leftovers. Many fresh veggies (especially root vegetables) do not need to be kept refrigerated before cooking, just stored in a cool space. Use what refrigeration you have for meats and leftovers.