Bagel thins

Options
Hi everybody,

Bagels are one my favorites and I have heard 'bagel thins' are good for people on a diet. Do you agree and do you eat them? Also do you have any suggestion for less calorie muffins?

Best,
Fatemeh

Replies

• lpekny
    lpekny Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love bagel thins and sandwich thins. The bagel thins are only 110 cals. I like to eat them with ligh cream cheese and sliced tomato. It is very filling!!
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Kroger sells a product. I think the name is "Muffin Tops". It's basically the top of a muffin (the good stuff) with out the rest. So you get a good treat with less calories.
  • zapatasbloodjv
    Options
    Bagel thins are great.

I buy them at costco use them in place of bread.

as far as muffins go I just gave them up.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I just ate some bagel thins (the everything kind) with some honey apple butter last night, so good! They are also really good with some creamy swiss Laughing Cow cheese :)
  • lilybug13
    lilybug13 Posts: 154
    Options
    http://www.preparedpantry.com/PDF/muffin-top-guide.pdf

You could make Muffies (aka muffin tops)
  • rebsaganes
    rebsaganes Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    They make awesome breakfast sandwiches. I've used the "everything" ones for awesome turkey sandwiches too.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    do not be fooled, a bagel thin is just that..thin, it isnt going to have the flaky yummy doughy goodness of a bagel, you will not be able to rip chunks of deliciousness to shove in your mouth, BUT i eat the bagel thins and they do the trick for me, it gives me the yummy bagel and cream cheese taste that i crave at only a third of the calories. i also use them for sandwiches and i use the sandwich thins to change up my bread.
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I love them, too! Usually eat the everything kind with mustard, turkey and slice of cheese.
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    They're great for sandwhiches, but if I'm craving a bagel, they don't cut it for me. I'll just budget a bagel into my day.
  • kaswain
    kaswain Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I love the cinnamon raisin ones with peanut butter for breakfast!
  • Nolynoelia20
    Options
    I love everything bagel thins.. its only 110 cals so you cant go wrong. (great substitute for bagel which I LOVE) I eat them for bkft w/ an egg or for lunch w/ turkey or sliced chicken. yummy :)
  • Fatemeh_59
    Fatemeh_59 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Kroger sells a product. I think the name is "Muffin Tops". It's basically the top of a muffin (the good stuff) with out the rest. So you get a good treat with less calories.

Thanks I found their website, but have you ever bought them form a grocery shop?
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Thomas's whole wheat, love them. I like the Thoma's Sahara mini pitas too. Great for sandwiches, burgers or with eggs.
    Them and Pepperidge Farms Light Style whole grain breads are all I use.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way:

Bagel thins, just like the 100 calorie pack snacks are a great money maker for food manufacturers. They are selling you less product for virtually the same price. And people are willing to buy these things because they are in convenient serving sizes to help you stay on track with your diet. Genius! If you have the self control, I say just get regular bagels and eat just half of it each day. It's pretty close to the same thing but costs less.
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Carbs are carbs. I'm sure whole wheat/whole grain bread is better for you.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way:

Bagel thins, just like the 100 calorie pack snacks are a great money maker for food manufacturers. They are selling you less product for virtually the same price. And people are willing to buy these things because they are in convenient serving sizes to help you stay on track with your diet. Genius! If you have the self control, I say just get regular bagels and eat just half of it each day. It's pretty close to the same thing but costs less.

^^^This.^^^

The light bread is kind of the same thing-- a much smaller / thinner slice. If you compare cals per gram, they are the same. It is kind of nice for the convience, since half a slice of bread doesn't make as great of a sandwich base, but bagel thins would be easy to just get a mini bagel or cut the bagel in half.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way:

^^^This.^^^

The light bread is kind of the same thing-- a much smaller / thinner slice. If you compare cals per gram, they are the same. It is kind of nice for the convience, since half a slice of bread doesn't make as great of a sandwich base, but bagel thins would be easy to just get a mini bagel or cut the bagel in half.

I prefer the thinner bagels, they toast up nice and crisp. I used the thin sandwich bread before even paying attention to eating right as well. I guess I'm just not one for a whole lot of dough.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Yeh I actually only like the bottom of a bagel anyways cuz its crunchier so bagel thins rock my world
  • lookpretty
    lookpretty Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Ijust eat the yummy half of the bagel (the side with all the good stuff), and send the other half with my son to eat
  • soontobeskinnysara
    soontobeskinnysara Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I was doing bagel thins every morning, then cut back to the Thomas Hearty English Muffins (100 calories), then down to one slice of multi-grain bread (90 calories), and my goal is to eliminate bread from breakfast altogether!