Broken any bones???

Options
Hi! I’m wondering if anyone has broken any bones? Such as a collarbone or spine. How did you deal with working out afterwards? My collarbone kills but I want to get active again and push myself. Can anybody relate? What were your remedies to keep going?

Replies

• Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I've broken lots of bones. Both legs, one arm, two toes and three fingers - although, fortunately, only ever one at a time. Never broken my spine or collarbone, but I've known people who have. (And, hey, I'm young: there's still plenty of time. ;) )

Sadly, it was usually when I was just starting to get active, and I let it discourage me into giving up the activity. My first piece of advice would be to learn from my mistakes and don't do that.

I'm sorry to hear about your injury: how long ago did you break your collarbone? (And/or spine?) If it was in the last couple of weeks, your body will be all about pain and mending. You need to concentrate on nutrition, rest, and not doing something stupid and re-injuring yourself.

Around week three or so was when I've been able to begin to do more (YFMV: Your Fracture May Vary). If you have medical or physical therapy people available to you, go to them, and take their advice. If not, my best recommendation would be to push gently, stop when you first feel pain, and then wait 24 hours before pushing again or further. Bear in mind that you will tire very quickly, and you need to avoid getting so fatigued that you become clumsy and risk re-injuring yourself.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I've broken a tie, arm and apparently my tailbone but never a spine or collarbone.

Are you seeing a physiotherapist?
    When did you break it? You'll have to push yourself but don't reinjure yourself so be careful
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,850 Member
    Options
    I broke my collarbone when I was a kid. I remember I had to wear this brace around my shoulders that reminded me of some sort of mini straight jacket. It was really painful, but I guess it worked because I've not had any pain from my collarbone now that I'm older.

If you broke your collarbone recently, just hang in there. They do heal.
  • Heidijens123
    Heidijens123 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    When my son broke his collor bone he wasn't supposed to use the arm very much and to not do anything to reinjure it. This is something you really should talk to your Dr about. My son ended up rebreaking his collor bone and had to restart the healing process.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I've not broken those particular bones, but did a pretty good job on my ankle a few years ago - it was rough going and the recovery felt like it lasted an eternity at the time...but it does pass, and it's all just a bump in the road now.

My recommendation is to follow the doctor/physiotherapist's advice on exercise and recovery. If they give you exercises/stretches to do, keep it up, but don't overdo it in trying to get back to other exercise too soon.

Hang in there!
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I broke vertebrae in my spine and had to have a 5 level fusion, twice. I had physical therapy for 4 months, every single day...which was quite a bit of exercise. But they were very careful with me. Then I had 4 months of rest, then went back to work which was retail, so I was on my feet running around a store. So, so painful...but I felt that was the only way I was going to strengthen my back muscles again and strengthen my core. It worked.

I didn't work with weights, it was just staying on my feet for as long as I could during the day and running around my store. Though that did involve lifting many, many boxes during the day also.

Once I started working full time in retail again...maybe 2 years after I broke my back....I had 0 back pain at all. Just from how active I was. I really pushed myself but it was worth it.

But I have no idea what your limitations are for a collar bone. If it involves your arm, and you are not supposed to use it, that seems different than my directions of "keep moving around". So please talk to your doctor and find out what you can and can't do.
  • hikinggal11
    hikinggal11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Well, I never broke any bones as an adult, but I had a laminectomy, decompression, and fusion on C 4-6 (neck) 2 years ago. For cardo. instead of running I used the the recombinant bike for obvious reasons. I worked lower body with weights. This was all approved by my PT. After given the green light I started to work upper body with direction from my PT. I did not start running again until this year. My humble advice is to go slow and let your body heal. It is better to wait than hurt yourself even more and run the risk of permanent damage. So sorry to hear of your injury. I hope you heal quickly and remember to be kind to yourself!
  • tbeal8706
    tbeal8706 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! Physical therapy is going fine and I just got back to work this week! It’s been tough but you all are right and patience is key. Hopefully this time next year I’m able to do more. My neck feels soo much better and my collarbone is slowly working itself to a better place.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Oh, gosh yes. Most of my injuries are since I turned 50 though. Listen to your dr and your body. You want to stay active for a long time, not injure yourself further.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Swimming!

I broke my pelvis and one tibia in a motorcycle crash. I had to remain in bed or a wheelchair for months...no standing or walking whatsoever.

With the doctor's approval I went to the swimming pool with the help of a friend. She wheeled me up to the side of the pool and dumped me in. It felt glorious. I could swim as much as I wanted as long as I didn't kick or push off from the wall. Getting back out of the pool was difficult though.

I actually lost weight during my recovery but it was probably muscle atrophy I figure.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    RealWorldStrengthLLC Posts: 552 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    For breaks that required surgery and pins I've broken both my humerus and femoral neck. I've also broken both wrists multiple times, a foot, and cracked multiple ribs more than once but those things healed on their own without surgery. Oh and I've got some metal in my face but that doesn't really matter much just kinda sucks in the cold and I probably shouldn't train boxing.

To come back from injuries, just be patient, take it slow, listen to your physio, and start off with light weights and low impact. The area will never be pain free especially load bearing and on cold days old breaks can get really annoying but its nothing unbearable.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    My bones don't break easily so I've only broken something once. I fractured my spine in a big accident. My experience wouldn't be helpful because I needed to re-learn to walk so that was my priority. Being active was something I didn't even think about because it was too many steps ahead.

If I were you, I would focus on good nutrition to aid healing and take it one step at a time. Pushing yourself with broken bones is not wise unless you have your doctor's permission.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    It takes 7 days after a break for the bone to get a scab, about 6 weeks for it to knit, and 6 months before it is back to its original strength.

It sux but you have to be patient. let your body heal, it will be better in the long run.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I've broken both my collarbone and had a spinal fracture.
    I flipped a three wheeler when I was four to break the collarbone. I remember being really sad in daycare when I couldn't play during the wheelbarrow races. 😢
    I've also apparently fractured the transverse processes of two lumbar vertebrae at some point but don't have any idea how I did it. X-rays after a back injury showed healed fractures. Steroids and muscle relaxers had me up and running (literally running) again in less than a week, but a flare up from a healed fracture you didn't know about is not the same as an acute spinal fracture, so don't use my experience as an example for how your injury would respond.
    It's best to mind the doctor as far as getting back to activity.