Food to come home to in the evenings?

Options
Scubdup
Scubdup Posts: 104 Member
What can I eat when I get home?

I've suffered a bit of a set back - the willpower has waned, and I've fallen off the MFP wagon somewhat. As a result - who would have guessed? - I've put weight back on. I'm looking to get back into the habit but I think my main area of weakness is walking through the door when I get home. I generally skip breakfast, and have a protein shake for lunch, and I'm often quite hungry when I get in from work. I don't want to change the breakfast and lunch strategy, because it's simple and has been working for me. The problem is that currently I walk in, and help myself to crackers and cheese, and must consume about 600 calories in about 20 minutes!

I really need something that's:-
  • Quick to grab
  • Fairly bulky, and voluminous - I've tried jerky, and it's such a small serving I hoover it down and it's like it didn't touch the sides
  • Tasty, and not overly dry - rice cakes don't do it for me!

Thanks a lot for any suggestions...

Replies

• rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have 2 kids whom I pick up from sports at different times wednesday evening. They are both starving, so I need to serve them something quick.
    The youngest get some scrables egg, some vegetables in snacksizes, and some ryebread. The eldest usually gets microwaved left overs, and I grab some salad with random protein. I make a big portion of salad 2 times pr week, and just need to weigh the portion I need. For protein i use leftovers, canned fisk, eggs or whatever else I have available
    Find out what you would like to eat, and prep it before leaving the house
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Crock pot, you’ll come home to a delicious hot ready made home cooked meal. Try these chicken thighs and just microwave some frozen veggies to go with it when you get home.
    https://dinnerthendessert.com/slow-cooker-brown-sugar-garlic-chicken/
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Slow cooker meals - chili, soups, pot roast, chicken, etc.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend meal prepping at least once a week so you can have dinners ready when you get home. I use those quick marinade packets from Mccormick to flavor up chicken breasts and add whatever steamable, microwave veggies I like to the container. You could add potato, rice, quinoa, whatever. This way it's done when you get home and only takes a quick few minutes to heat up. Also, a little bit of salsa on top of plain chicken breasts makes a delicious chicken :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Scubdup wrote: »
    What can I eat when I get home?

I've suffered a bit of a set back - the willpower has waned, and I've fallen off the MFP wagon somewhat. As a result - who would have guessed? - I've put weight back on. I'm looking to get back into the habit but I think my main area of weakness is walking through the door when I get home. I generally skip breakfast, and have a protein shake for lunch, and I'm often quite hungry when I get in from work. I don't want to change the breakfast and lunch strategy, because it's simple and has been working for me. The problem is that currently I walk in, and help myself to crackers and cheese, and must consume about 600 calories in about 20 minutes!

I really need something that's:-
    • Quick to grab
    • Fairly bulky, and voluminous - I've tried jerky, and it's such a small serving I hoover it down and it's like it didn't touch the sides
    • Tasty, and not overly dry - rice cakes don't do it for me!

Thanks a lot for any suggestions...

How many calories? It sounds like you are not using many calories during the day with just a lunch protein shake so 600 calories might not be terrible. I'd think at least 300 calories wouldn't be bad to plan for a snack.

Deviled eggs
    Sandwich or wrap
    Veggies or pita chips and hummus or guacamole
    Veggies and any low calorie dip
    Plain veggies
    Large salad
    Popcorn
    Pretzels
    Yogurt... with fruit, nuts or granola added if desired
    Muffin
    Bagel
    Cottage cheese
    Cooked meat
    Instant oatmeal
    Canned soup
    Pasta salad
    Banana, apple or orange
    Celery with peanut butter or cheese
    Bean burrito

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Make big batches of meals so you can reheat it in 2 minutes.

Casseroles, stew, chili... Seriously though I'd be completely starving if all I had was a 200 calorie shake before dinner.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. If I don't have something intentional to eat when I get home, I'll almost always end up eating way to much of the wrong stuff and blow my calories in about 30 minutes.

Slow cooker meals help. Leftovers do to. If it's a family dinner night and I have to wait to eat, I try to find something to do the second I walk in the door - take the dogs for a walk or work on my bikes something/anything to distract me from eating.

Caffeine and/or diet soda and/or hard candy are crutches for me.
  • FrostysHouse
    FrostysHouse Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Popcorn (I keep a bag in my car for the commute home) or an apple are filling. Cottage cheese is good, or a container of veggie sticks and hummus. And yes, I'd prepare some meals that can be waiting when you walk in the door.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Cheese and crackers are a favorite of mine! Sometimes I would have it as a snack and end up consuming enough calories for dinner. What helped is I planned a snack more in-line with my calorie goals so I wasn't starving when I got home. I eat it either right before I leave work or during my commute.

I also quit buying the delicious cheese! I. do keep shredded and lower calorie spreads on hand. I can't eat it if I don't have it!
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    Crockpot beans-and-greens is healthy and super filling. Black beans and spinach is one of my favorites.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of eating an earlier dinner and having slow cooker food/soup ready when I get home from work. I also try to time my afternoon snack to tide me by, knowing that dinner is already basically ready when I get home. This way, I don't use calories on second snack, but then typically have calories for dessert.
  • gbt77
    gbt77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My new habit is this: I eat a high-protein snack (like Greek yogurt) about 60-90 minutes before I get home. When I get home, I change into comfortable clothes that I can exercise in and tennis shoes. I pour myself a big glass of ice water to drink while I’m preparing whatever meal that I had already planned and shopped for ahead of time that I can have on the table in less than 45 minutes.
  • MIpiccolo
    MIpiccolo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    What if you take a snack with you to work - then eat it in the car on the way home. That way you will already be past the ‘I’m crazy hungry’ thing when you get home, and can think about what you’re making for dinner. Maybe throw in an apple and some cheese or nuts?
  • BeezBeez
    BeezBeez Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Oh dang, I wish I'd seen this before I posted almost the same thing! My go-tos are plain yogurt with nuts and dried cranberries, a bowl of muesli, or some veggies and hummus.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a snack either about 30 minutes before I leave work or right when I get home because I'm always hungry when I get home, and I don't want to have to wait until I have dinner ready. It's a hard life sometimes lol.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend meal prepping at least once a week so you can have dinners ready when you get home. I use those quick marinade packets from Mccormick to flavor up chicken breasts and add whatever steamable, microwave veggies I like to the container. You could add potato, rice, quinoa, whatever. This way it's done when you get home and only takes a quick few minutes to heat up. Also, a little bit of salsa on top of plain chicken breasts makes a delicious chicken :)

Agree 100% with the benefits of meal prepping to address the issue.
    Along with that, try making lunch and breakfast the big calories meals so that you are less hungry in evening.
    I pack about 1000 calories of prepared-by-me food every day in my lunch pack. A few minutes in the microwave is all I need to have it ready to eat.

After years of yo yo dieting, I am finding huge satisfaction and positive weight loss results with the intermittent fasting idea, where I eat all my daily calories within 8 an hour window, and, that window closes at 6pm. If I think I am hungry, 9 times out of 10, a glass of water fills the “hole “ in my belly, or a handful of crunchy raw vegetables is my guilt free anytime snack.

Good luck!
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Crock pot or instant pot will become your best friends. I use mine multiple times a week. I work 40+ hours, two kids under two and a hubby.