What's your go-to snack?

Options
Hi folks! I'm always starving between work and dinner, and that has traditionally been the time where I make poor food decisions. I've been trying to have a nice healthy, filling snack when I get home to tide myself over. I usually go for yogurt with some nuts and dried cranberries or a bowl of muesli. Veggies and hummus have been good too, but I'm starting to get bored. What do you like to snack on? Looking for some more ideas for something I can grab quickly without much prep or thought.

Replies

• friendtotortoise
    friendtotortoise Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just made some peanut butter cup overnight oats. I could see that as being really good for tiding yourself over between meals, maybe just have half a portion size
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit boring ... I always carry an apple to go, just in case. I do experiment with different apple varieties each week since many have distinct flavors in my opinion ...
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    My go to snack is always fruit lol. Right now I'm doing apples. Over the summer it was watermelon/pineapple. I sometimes also do cottage cheese with a sliced up cucumber. I eat my snack either at work before I leave (around 4) or right when i get home because I have the same problem. I'm always so hungry when I get home from work and it takes a minute to get dinner ready.
  • BeezBeez
    BeezBeez Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    I'm a bit boring ... I always carry an apple to go, just in case. I do experiment with different apple varieties each week since many have distinct flavors in my opinion ...

I love apples! I have an apple for lunch every single day, which is the only reason I don't usually snack on them after work. I often have an apple in my bag though. It's always a good idea!
  • mds1207
    mds1207 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Mine are either unsalted almonds or Peanut Butter Protein Balls (shout if you'd like the recipe).
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    My usual is a protein bar, preferably a Quest bar.

I'll also do things like
    2 eggs and a piece of fruit.
    Beef jerky and peanut butter packet.
    Sliced turkey and cheese.
    Veggie burger patty and avocado.
  • joyinjesus1
    joyinjesus1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    BeezBeez wrote: »
    Hi folks! I'm always starving between work and dinner, and that has traditionally been the time where I make poor food decisions. I've been trying to have a nice healthy, filling snack when I get home to tide myself over. I usually go for yogurt with some nuts and dried cranberries or a bowl of muesli. Veggies and hummus have been good too, but I'm starting to get bored. What do you like to snack on? Looking for some more ideas for something I can grab quickly without much prep or thought.

Apples and bananas
  • joyinjesus1
    joyinjesus1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I snnack on apples and banana but I'm wondering if I'm eating too much fruit I know it's still sugaur but I live fruit
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I do mini popcorn bags, or individual serving size of cereal and almond milk, love veggies and hummus or ff dip.
    sweet would be grapes , or fiber one bar or if want smooth and creamy - I go for yogurt
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Walnuts, or cashews
  • sc1979LC
    sc1979LC Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Nature Valley protein bars are great when I’m on night shifts at 2am with a coffee. Keeps me good till breakfast at 9am!
  • rompydompy
    rompydompy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Babybel or string cheese.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I love snacking, so try to make really healthy choices.

Some of my favorites:

Half an apple with peanut butter
    Celery with peanut butter or laughing cow cheese
    Baby carrots and cucumber slices with hummus
    Boiled egg
    String cheese

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    High protein yoghurt.
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,845 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    Walnuts and blueberries
    Bell Peppers
    Graham crackers with peanut butter and if I'm feeling extra bad, just a bit of marshmallow fluff. :)

• pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I do unsalted almonds in the morning and hummus and either crackers or vegetables in the afternoon (5PM).
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I have a few
    Greek yoghurt
    Popcorn (I like it with cinnamon)
    Roasted Chickpeas
    Various different seeds and nuts
    Protein bars
    Vege sticks and cottage cheese
    Apples
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Cheese sticks!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    sc1979LC wrote: »
    Nature Valley protein bars are great when I’m on night shifts at 2am with a coffee. Keeps me good till breakfast at 9am!

I second this. Also cheese sticks and fruit.
  • BeezBeez
    BeezBeez Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas here! I'm especially intrigued by popcorn with cinnamon. Thanks, all!