Running

Options
mamax5
mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
I think I would like to start running....but is it anymore beneficial than walking? And if it is how do I get started, I feel kind of slow since it takes me an hour to walk a little over 2 miles. I would love to be able to complete those 2 miles in 30 minutes!

Replies

• danizaga
    danizaga Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    find a track near you run the straights and walk the curves. that's what i've been doing. pretty soon you'll be able to run a whole lap. or use a stop watch to run for 30 seconds then walk for like a minute and repeat.

good luck running.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I suggest the C25K program. It will get you to running in no time.

http://www.c25k.com/
  • NicoleWong1988
    NicoleWong1988 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey! I do interval training made by the running room . It's a fantastic way to get started. Don't worry, I'm super slow too, but running makes me feel great. I'm sitting at 209 lbs, and I started running at 230 lbs, so running also really helps to shed pounds! You can do it!
  • brittanydaniel79
    Options
    Try the Couch to 5k program! It starts you off slow and builds you up gradually so you don't overdo it to begin with. I loved it :) I had never run a day in my life, and now I run 5ks!! Just google it and you should see it. It's on coolrunning.com i think.

Good luck! Friend me if you need some tips :)
  • crummywatertowr
    crummywatertowr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Look up the C25K program...it gradually builds up your running till you are able to run for a half hour non stop. My wife and I are on week 5 and love it.
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is the best beginners program out there, IMHO... you can Google it. It's free and there are apps for Android, Blackberry, etc. to keep you going.

Before you start, though, be sure to get fitted for a good pair of shoes. Don't just go to any old store and pick up whatever's cutest/cheapest/etc. Have a gait analysis done at a running store and get the RIGHT shoes for your feet. :)

Best of luck!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    you should look into C25K which is a program that trains you how to run a 5k with no prior training/exercise.
    It's VERY beneficial. I started this way. It's a 9 week program, and by the end, you'll be running a 5k. I hadn't run at all prior to this program and now I'm running atleast 3 5k's a week, sometimes longer!

It starts you out very slowly and you work your way up! Just remember, when you're running, go at your own pace. There is no RIGHT speed, just a right speed for you. Go slow & steady. Nobody ever got injured running too slowly.
  • joshiesdad
    Options
    Try the Couch to 5K program. I am not a runner. Never have been. I am trying the program because I want to try it. it seems to work pretty well. You can find info on it if you google it and there are free smartphone apps too.
  • sandrajessica
    sandrajessica Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have NEVER been a runner and am using the C25K program to start. It's great. Really hard the first week - but I completed Week 2 Day 1 yesterday and was surprised by how good I felt! I signed up for a 5K in October to motivate myself. You should sign up for one! It's a great way to get motivated :)

I think that walking actually burns more calories than runnin does, but for some reason running always helps me shed pounds faster. Plus, you get a good sweat going, which always feels good!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Couch to 5k..Google it. It is a great program for beginners.
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Just posted this article for someone else this AM....

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html

I'm starting to see what PatientBear was talking about....
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else - C25K is where you want to start. I didn't use this program because I didn't know about it when I started running, but from what I've read and seen written about it? Everyone loves it. Just remember -- take it slow. Running can be hard on your body - so give your body time to adjust.
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I suggest the C25K program. It will get you to running in no time.

http://www.c25k.com/

Ditto. It's an 8 week program. You train 3 days/week. I'm on week 4 and it's been awesome.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I found that this blog had a lot of helpful hints:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/mrphil86/view/my-running-walking-tips-95469

And I found this on someone else's blog:

Your First Run:
    For those thinking of running my advice is to start slow. I’ve started multiple beginner running programs and they lasted exactly one day! The reason is I started out too fast! I tried to do too much in the beginning. A good program to start with is the C25K program. It’s self-paced so just take your time and repeat any weeks you feel necessary. The main thing is you’ve taken the first step which is HUGE! Congratulate yourself!
    There are tons of beginning running programs on the internet for those of you who do not want use the C25K program. Just remember to start slow and add no more than 10% mileage every week. Your legs and feet will thank you.

Resources:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-520--2201-0,00.html – Runner’s World beginning running plan
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml - C25K plan
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-520--9397-1-1X5-2,00.html – Runner’s World 8 week training program for beginners

Rest and Recovery:
    Rest is a very important component of your training. Rest does not mean you can stretch out on the sofa, it just means reduced activity. Rest days are key because they allow your body to recover and rejuvenate from running. Your body grows strong while resting.

Breathing:
    I bet you are thinking “I already know how to breathe!” Day to day breathing is automatic but breathing while running can be complicated. When running your body requires more oxygen to move the muscles. The faster you run the more oxygen you need. The number one error most new runners make is going too fast. It will not work and you’ll hate running. So slow down and try to match your breathing with your strides. With an easy pace, breathe in for three or four steps and then breathe out for three or four steps. With faster tempos it’s one-two in, one-two out. Trying to breathe through your nose is like breathing through a straw so breathe through your mouth.

The Mental Game
    The brain is a powerful tool. There is a saying “Running is 90% mental and the rest physical”. Imagine yourself as a runner. Don’t let negativity get you down. Don’t compare yourself to someone who runs faster or farther and never diminish your accomplishments!

Running shoes:
    Beginners do not need expensive shoes for running, just a good running shoe. My first running shoe was Nike. I loved that old pair of shoes. Visit a running specialty store for a good pair of shoes. The attendant at the store will ask you questions like “Do you overpronate?”, “Do you need a stability shoe?”, etc. Don’t be intimidated or embarrassed. Tell them you are new and they will welcome you to the world of running with open arms! They will want to watch your feet while you walk and run to determine the best shoe. Just remember the shoe you purchase today may not be the same shoe you need six months from now after you’ve been running for a while. You’ll improve in running style and performance so another shoe may work better for you later. The correct shoe will enhance your natural stride and help prevent injuries. The wrong shoe can turn running into a routine of pain and recovery. You don’t want that.

Terminology for running shoes:
    Pronation – The foot naturally rolls inward as you run. This is correct positioning of the foot.
    Overpronation- The foot rolls inward too far as you run.
    Supination – The foot does not roll inward enough as you run.
    Oversupination – The foot rolls outward too much as you run.

Motion-control shoes are designed to prevent the foot from rolling inward. This is done by adding something in the sole of the shoe. This is mainly for people who overpronate.

Stability shoes have more cushion than motion control shoes and are designed to prevent excessive pronation. I personally use a stability shoe because I overpronate. It provide support for the inner part of the foot and for those who overpronate just a little too much.

I personally don’t like cushioned shoes. Even though they are the softest, they work best for those who have perfect running form.

When purchasing shoes don’t buy the where they ‘just fit’. The shoes should be a little bigger than regular shoes because your feet will swell when running. They should be ½ to 1 size larger than your dress shoes. Too tight shoes will cause blackened toenails and then the toenail will fall off. That is not a great look!

Running socks
    Important! Important! Important! Please invest in a good pair of running socks. Don’t wear standard socks purchased at a discount store when running. Good quality running socks will prevent blisters and black toenails. You can purchase these at any specialty running store.

Running Clothes
    Beginners can basically run in anything that doesn’t rub – sweat pants, over-sized t-shirts, etc. Eventually you’ll want to buy some real running clothes. Perfect weather for running almost NEVER happens and that is where high-quality running clothes helps.

During the hot season, a lightweight shirt made of something like Dri-F.I.T. or CoolMax will draw the water away from your skin to help keep you cool. For cool weather there’s CoolMax, Dryline, and Dri-F.I.T to pull the sweat away from your body. Dress in lightweight layers to help draw the moisture away from the body.

Remember, regardless of the outside temperatures your body will heat up during your runs.

Icky Side Effects of Running:

Pit Stops #1 – Leaky bladders when running are most common in women. To help combat this try some Kegal exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles.

Pit Stops #2 – Running stimulates the intestinal system so many runners get diarrhea or have the urge to defecate. Females have a higher risk of loose stools during exercise than men. To help combat this, try modifying your diet. Dietary triggers can be: fiber, sorbitol, coffee, tea, fatty and spicy foods, alcohol and high doses of Vitamin C. Dehydration also makes the problem worse. So make sure you drink plenty of water. If it really becomes a problem eat some corn before running and find out how long it takes for it to go through your system. If it takes just 2 hours then you know not to eat within 2 hours of your run. You can also eat foods which are naturally constipating like bananas, bagels, rice and oatmeal before your run. As your body gets use to exercise your intestines will go back to standard bowel movements.

Black Toe Nails – This is usually caused by too tight running shoes, running downhill or long-distance running. The constant rubbing against the shoe causes a blood blister to form under the nail. The toenail will appear blackened and then eventually fall off. To prevent this wear correct size shoes and keep your feet dry during long runs. It helps to wear proper running socks.

Runner’s Acne – These pimples commonly appear where clothing is covering the skin. To help combat this, shower immediately after running and avoid wearing makeup.

Itchy Legs – I use to suffer from intense itchy legs when I ran! This is normally caused by arteries and capillaries expanding while running. The problem will go away once you’ve increased your fitness level.

Bloody Nipples – Mainly men suffer from sore or bloody nipples and it can be extremely painful. This is caused by the constant rubbing against their shirt. To avoid this, coat the nipples in Vaseline or Body Glide. Band-aids and Nip Guards work well too. Wear clothes made of Dri-Fit (or something comparable) and never wear cotton clothes. Cotton causes chafing. Women, do not wear a cotton sports bra.

Uncomfortable Underwear - I once went to a running store and describe to the lady that I was having issues with my underwear when running. She advised me to go ‘au natural’! Well, once I picked my jaw up off the floor I realized many runners don’t wear underwear for that very reason. If that is not your thing, then purchase shorts with built-in underwear. Some runners will also wear spandex in place of underwear under their running shorts. It’s just a matter of personal preference. Just don’t wear lose fitting cotton underwear. You’ll regret it!

Monthly Cycles – Women, don’t be afraid to run during this time. Running can improve your mood and help alleviate symptoms.

Blood in Urine – Don’t panic. When you run the bladder can suffer minor injuries. If after 48 hours after your run you still have blood in your urine then seek the advice of a doctor.

Other Important Tidbits of Information:

DON’T COMPARE YOURSELF TO ANYONE! You are doing good. This is your journey. There will always be someone faster and run farther. You are the only important person.
    In the beginning, avoid running too hard and too often.
    REST!
    Listen to your body. Aches and pains are your body’s way of alerting you that something is going on.
    Stick to a schedule.
    Place a copy of your running program on your fridge so you can see it every day.
    NEVER DIMINISH YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS!

I know this was long. I hope this information is helpful and thank you for reading to the end.

Happy Running!
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    One foot in front of the other... Good running shoes (i.e. go to a running store and get fitted)... Good socks.

This is what I did... When I started running I couldn't even run a mile... Each time I went my goal was to run a little bit more than before. I did my first marathon last fall and am training for a half right now.

I know a lot of people in real life... and on this site... that have done the "couch to 5k" program. If you google that, it will show up. Even if you are not planning on running in a 5k race, the program will help you to get started.

GOOD LUCK!
  • airycha
    airycha Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I don't know if running has other health benefits over walking but I think that running or walking the same distance you burn about the same number of calories... you just get there faster with running.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Hi sweetie, you have done the right thing by reaching about and trying to improve your fitness.
    I am going to disagree with alot of people on this board and say that I dont think c25k is going to be the right program for you. Take it from someone who has been there (at 276 pounds) and got tired walking for 2 miles.

Here is what I would do ...

I would start with running for 30 seconds and walking for 4 minutes ... run slower than you think you need to. That will give you a success... then increase that to running for 1 minute and walking for 4 minutes ... and from there just set a goal to either increase your run or decrease your walk every couple of weeks.

Make sure you get fitted for the right shoes... dont run 2 days in a row .... and find lots of runner friends.
    Feel free to read my blog if you wanna know where I came from ...
    www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/emmaleigh47
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I don't know if running has other health benefits over walking but I think that running or walking the same distance you burn about the same number of calories... you just get there faster with running.

I know it already got posted above, but I will post it again....

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html

All about calories burned running vs walking.
  • dyte
    dyte Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm no fitness expert but I running is more beneficial. If your goal is to burn the most calories, running is a great way to do so & it also helps with shrinking the belly! I recommend buying good running shoes! I've been running the last few years, so I would say I am new at running as well. When I started I'd run 2-3 minutes and then walk for 1-2 minutes, until I could increase my distance in running. I would push myself to run longer so I could finish my run faster. It will take time, so don't push yourself to hard. You can do it!!
    I am now running in 5K/10K's races & I ran my first half marathon last year!!
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I started with the couch to 5k program 2.5 years ago and it's still my favorite form of exercise and stress relief today! You won't be sorry you did it :) Good luck!