Could you of done it alone??

Options
I see so many wonderful success stories on here and theres people who thought it was impossible, people who went from sitting watching tv 24/7 to being the fittest people at the gym, and jogging/running ect.

Could you of done it with out the calorie counting or counting alone? Without the support of others on the site?

I know what keeps me going alot is the success stories I see, espically the pictures so me personally, no I don't think I could do it alone! Theres some wonderful people here who are brilliant at keeping me strong!

What about you?

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I have done it alone before but this way is a lot more fun. :)
  • Aleciajones
    Options
    I couldn't. I've tried and always gave up.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I was, could, can, but this way is definitely more entertaining.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Actually, I lost the majority of my weight before I joined MFP. When I joined this site, I was actually in maintenance, but wasn't 100% happy with where I was and wanted some guidance how to stay on the right track, advice on different workouts, etc.

I lost 5-7 lbs in May 2011 and that was my first weight loss since Sept 2010 when I hit my original goal weight of 150lbs. I KNOW I can lose weight without calorie counting, tracking my water or logging my exercise. But, using this site has definitely been helpful in helping me to learn what calorie range my body is comfortable in, how much water I should be drinking (I wasn't drinking enough before) and how to continue to help my body get stronger (and keep the weight off). :)
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    No I couldn't have- that's what got me to this point. I failed at so many diets. Having MFP has helped me a lot and shows me what I've put in my mouth. I am grateful for this site and for all the support "my girls" give me.
  • Obstinate07
    Options
    I have done it alone before but this way is a lot more fun. :)

Same here. This time around, this site has helped me to keep myself straight and the topics on here have answered most of my questions that I have had.
  • dragonflybird
    Options
    I am feeling as though I'm doing this alone. I did have a friend who was supposed to be doing this with me, but she is having a hard time committing to the website. So, friend me if you'd like. I have a long ways to go.
  • Effervescent17
    Effervescent17 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think you can only do it alone for so long. I lost 40 pounds on my own, with 0 help. I just really wanted to do something by myself. Then I gained 10 of it back and I was like okay maybe I do need help! In the long run it's better to have a little support then just yourself.
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Yep, I did do it alone. I lost 98lbs before signing up to MyFitnessPal around 4 months ago. I have not lost any weight since signing up (I've been stuck since December) but being here definitely helps me to stick at it and keep trying new things rather than just giving up :)
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I have tried to do it alone and had some success. But doing it this way is way more entertaining and hold you accountable. Having friends on here to kick your butt if you slackin' is also a plus.
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    I can't do it alone. I am on several sites that give me support. I love the food log. It keeps me motivated.
  • kgesq
    kgesq Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight on my own before, but it wasn't really because of conscious choices, just more active lifestyle and less time/money to eat poorly. I also lost 10 lbs just by cutting out sugar for lent, but deprivation diets cannot work for me long term. I don't think I could get to where I am right now (down 5 lbs using a different counter) without an online counter because I didn't have a realistic perspective of how much I could/should eat, and how much I was eating. I also didn't know enough about how far to cut calories or how many calories were in various foods to curb my eating intelligently based on my activity level, size, etc... I am finally seeing results where I didn't see any before. I love reading success stories on here, even though my weight loss goals are not as ambitious. I see so many people on here who have lost as much or more than the amount I'm seeking to lose, so I've got a feeling this thing really works! So far, so good!
  • angelacasey736
    angelacasey736 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Good question. I would like to be able to say yes but truth of the matter is - i didnt start losing until joining this site. I did WW but gave up. I took pills and lost over 75 lbs but it was not healthy and ofcourse when i stopped taking them it all came back. Now i am more than half way to my goal and i intend to be here well after that. I have a lot of support outside of this community but here is where you can relate and get sympathy but more importantly get motivated (at least for me). I am learning the correct way to live my life and if a website is what it took to get me there I am ok with that. I am happy to say that MFP is a huge part of my life and i wouldnt trade it for anything!
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    It's lovely isn't it? Having somewhere you can turn to ask questions and get straight replys most of the time without feeling silly.

Well done to all those people who managed it alone!! And to all the ones who couldn't thank god we've got everyone else to learn from eh??

For me, to see someone who never thought they could lose weight or was bigger than me or had more struggles than me do it, it does make me belive I can do it too! And that's what keeps me going some times!

I don't think I'd of managed so far without this site. Tried before, failed before - many times! So thanks to everyone who has lost weight!! You helped me, others and yourself just by sharing stories!
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Sure I could, but having an entire community to ask questions is a great help. I picked up quite a few valuable tips here, and I'm sure I will learn more and more.

It should be noted that I have a digital food log outside of MFP. Without SOME form of logging food and calories digitally, this would be a lot harder, although certainly not impossible.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    yes,i started all this on my own.this is just more fun
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Could not have done it without the calorie counting. Seeing it right in front of you makes a big difference. I like that I can plan ahead too.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Did most of my work on my own, without counting calories or using an HRM even. Then I found this place and got hooked immediately due to finding like-minded people doing similar things.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Most of my weight loss, I did before I got on this site. What getting on here did for me was enable to me to fine tune it - to understand the importance of nutrition, to improve my work outs, and to really account for what I was eating, without the guesswork. And along the way, I've made some great friends, so now I'm stuck here for life, lol!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight before, not a problem at all. But with this site, I have learned tremendous amounts about nutrition, fitness, and real goals to reach instead of just a number on a scale. I struggle with eating (as in I don't eat enough) so this site has really shown me that there is more to life that a number. I can feel fit and be active, I can be strong and still be attractive :smile: