My soni

Options
My son is 23 6ft and 8 St

He isn't happy with his body.
He has seen a psychologist as he finds eating difficult. Most food has to be virtually liquidised in his mouth. This follows a near fatal choke aged 16.He will eat what i feed him in terms of variety. If feeding himself its fairly restrictive. Microwave rice with added burtwr cheese etc/baked beans wuth added cheese etc. Cereal. Sloppy food. He's still at home and I'd like to do what I can while he is here.

I have bought pea protein to bake with. Im low carb high fat with 4 stone to lose.

Thinking of trying hypnotherapy possibly.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

M son has some autistic traits, he has slow processing speed and sequencing issues, unless it's something for him that makes sense to him. Even then he can need extra support.

Thanks in advance xx

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    My husband has esophageal scarring which makes it difficult for him to swallow. Having swallowing issues can be very traumatizing! My sympathy goes out to you and your son. It must be especially tricky trying to juggle both of your needs.

How about silken tofu? For my husband, meats are especially difficult, but beef is worst, with pork and chicken being easier. Have you tried slow stewed meats which are very tender? Something like an instant pot or slow cooker might help create textures which seem safer to your son. You could also add fruits and veg to smoothies.
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I would buy a decent blender. If your in the uk the 1000w nutri ninja is quite good.

It’s easy to make a 6-800 calorie shake for an example, Oats, peanut butter, drop of honey, banana, whey protein powder, full fat milk. If he drank a couple of these or similar per day it would greatly increase his calorie consumption.

Obviously if your making him salads then drizzle olive oil on them as well. Anything high calorie.
  • BeccaColliesBurton
    BeccaColliesBurton Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Catch is he doesn't like banana. I wonder if he'd taste it. Any other substitute?
  • BeccaColliesBurton
    BeccaColliesBurton Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My husband has esophageal scarring which makes it difficult for him to swallow. Having swallowing issues can be very traumatizing! My sympathy goes out to you and your son. It must be especially tricky trying to juggle both of your needs.

How about silken tofu? For my husband, meats are especially difficult, but beef is worst, with pork and chicken being easier. Have you tried slow stewed meats which are very tender? Something like an instant pot or slow cooker might help create textures which seem safer to your son. You could also add fruits and veg to smoothies.

Yes he for sure finds fish and also beef difficult. He manages gammon. He's had his esophagus and bowel checked. He's coeliac but without diagnosis as he'd have to be soooo ill for tests to work. He can't eat barley. Oats must be gf. He will suffer from airborne cross contamination. So need to be careful.

I can't eat soya products but could certainly try cooking with them. Even mince he somehow finds hard to swallow.

So difficult for them (and us, I agree)

Becca x
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You don’t taste it when blended. There is no rule as to what combination you can blend, you can blend anything. Avocado is also high on calories.

He will gain weight when in a calorie surplus, you just need to get him there.

People put on weight eating in a surplus while eating vegetables just as much as people can lose weight in a deficit eating pizza and cheeseburgers. It’s all about getting him to a carlorie surplus, there is no bad foods just protein, carbs and fats and whatever he is best to eat due to his coeliac
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Did he have this issue with needing liquid/easily swallowed foods before the choking incident at age 16 or did it develop afterward?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Would there be any benefit in him seeing a physical therapist? Only asking as my mother had difficulty in swallowing after her stroke and physio was very helpful - she was given swallowing exercises. I know his issue is not physical but might be worth a try. It might help to build his confidence in his body's natural ability to swallow.
    I suffer from acid reflux and often have issues with swallowing. And I think it's often a mental thing - I panic as I'm about to swallow. I find it helps to wash food down with small amounts of water but I know that's not recommended