IS ONE TRULY HAPPY WHEN LOSING WEIGHT?

Options
Howdy im Angie 5'2 and currently weighing 223-224 I am just so tired of being so miserable all the time. 99% of the time im thinking of how fat i am. Besides the fact that i am super self consious about my appearance i suffer from anxiety and this makes everything 1000 times worse. I wish i could just be happy about the way i look. Does anyone out ther have this problem? im sure im not the only one. ive been trying to lose weight for a while now and its the first time im sticking to it. ive lost about 14 pounds since Feb. and seriously i think i look the same. How can i change my way of thinking is the question. Its very frustrating to live this way as far as spending everyday constantly hoping to lose weight. i dont wanna look back when im old and regret not enjoying my life. i want to live and enjoy my life and i feel im not.

Replies

• kimgodfrey001
    kimgodfrey001 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and happiness aren't really related- but it can make you miserable if that's all you focus on. For example when you look at the scale and it hasn't shifted (the frustration, the disappointment) or even if it has but you remind yourself how far you have to go (is that all I've lost?) can put you in a really negative place. As you suggest it's a mindset game. Try to build healthier habits and celebrate the lbs coming off, and allow for times when things don't go to plan. It's not an overnight matter- but by thinking of rewarding (non-food) related celebrations to hit goal posts can be motivating and fun. How are you balancing your calories at the moment? I find it helps me to have a larger deficit Monday to Friday, then I can relax and eat more socially at the weekend and I definitely feel less deprived and happier overall.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    For me, losing the weight helped lift the fog a bit. I still get the sads, but overall my life outlook has improved after weight loss because there is so much more life to experience. While it's kind of sad, people do treat you differently when you are a healthy weight and it seems that life can generally be more productive when not obese. I feel like people take me and my thoughts/opinions more seriously because I'm normal sized.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I can only speak for myself, but I am not. Weight/appearance changes have made zero difference to my self-image/self-esteem. But for me, my self-criticism goes a lot deeper than just my appearance.

Wow..... this exactly!!

I will say, having gone down this road a couple of times, I actually feel the best when I'm "losing weight".

Because to me it's not about losing but gaining..... gaining control of my diet, my fitness, my life!!

It's a slow process with twists and turns, ups and downs but I truly believe committing to it has helped me alot with the self criticism and self esteem.

I would agree with that. There is value/accomplishment/satisfaction that comes from being in control and seeing progress.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Howdy im Angie 5'2 and currently weighing 223-224 I am just so tired of being so miserable all the time. 99% of the time im thinking of how fat i am. Besides the fact that i am super self consious about my appearance i suffer from anxiety and this makes everything 1000 times worse. I wish i could just be happy about the way i look. Does anyone out ther have this problem? im sure im not the only one. ive been trying to lose weight for a while now and its the first time im sticking to it. ive lost about 14 pounds since Feb. and seriously i think i look the same. How can i change my way of thinking is the question. Its very frustrating to live this way as far as spending everyday constantly hoping to lose weight. i dont wanna look back when im old and regret not enjoying my life. i want to live and enjoy my life and i feel im not.

I used to be an emotional eater but now successfully manage stress with a regular exercise program plus more when life gets tougher. My anxiety and depression would be far worse without exercise. Plus, it burns calories!

When I get those happy hormones from exercise, I also make better food choices. I'm not a "clean" eater, and do eat some "junk" food, but when I limit it, I feel better.

It's not easy - I have knee issues that I have to constantly work around - and I often have to force myself to start - but am always glad that I did.

It is especially important for my mental well being to spend time outdoors in nature.

So, my progress may not show up on the scale as fast as I'd like, but I feel better after implementing healthy habits.
  • AlessandroD3426
    AlessandroD3426 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It doesn’t go away. I still have that body dysmorphic image now lol.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I think it is a mistake for us to directly associate weight with happiness and that people who do so risk having problems.

CAN one be happy while losing weight? The answer is a resounding yes: you don't have to suffer to lose weight and you CAN make the process both enjoyable and very positive.

However, expecting to become happy by losing weight is not a safe course of action and neither is expecting that your life will drastically change because you changed size.

I am not saying that changes cannot and/or will not happen. I am just saying that they should be treated as a separate issue from your own underling mood and mental health concerns that should be addressed separately.

This is really well said and strikes home. I did have fun losing weight, I fell in love with running again, I feel joyful just being free and having boundless energy once again. It wasn’t the weight loss directly that made me happy, but being able to do so much more without feeling tired anymore. Running again also gave me goals, each week I want to run further than the last, or do a new race I’ve never done before, it gives me a sense of achievement and satisfaction. It has also given me the power to see the world in a new light, im out there at the crack of dawn on a Saturday morning while the rest of the world is sleeping, it is so peaceful seeing the sunrise on this town and hearing total silence except for the wildlife. Something about that just calms all those negative voices in my head.
    If it’s of any encouragement to you the hardest part is getting started.
  • AndThenIWoreIt
    AndThenIWoreIt Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    To change our way of thinking, we honestly have to change our actions. We often think we’ll get our heads straight first, then we’ll do the positive thing — but in fact, doing the positive thing is what moves us toward getting our heads aligned.

I’m sure there are motivation posters that say it much better 😉
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have never really been happy with my appearance at any weight I have been even when very thin. I think it is easy to focus on the negatives. You might benefit from more positive self talk. Think about all the things you like about yourself - not necessarily appearance and not what other people think.
    These days I am at a place in my head where I care more how I feel, what I can do and my health more than appearance.
    It took 20-25 lbs loss before I could really see a visible difference in progress photos and needed some new clothes.

Are you being treated for your anxiety? If you are working with a therapist maybe bring this up. If one of your issues is emotional eating maybe work on developing new coping tools.
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I feel you girl.
    I'm 5'3 and started out at 224. I've lost 30lbs and only just now started to notice a difference and only sometimes. But I'm also going by how my clothes are fitting too. I started out at a becoming tight 18 and I'm now in size 14. Even though I don't usually see the change in the mirror or even in photos, it's there.
    I also have anxiety and what got me to finally stick with a diet is a health scare. I started having chest pains and it scared me to death. Thankfully it was just stress causing it and nothing more serious, but I finally got in the right frame of mind to stick with it instead of giving up after a few weeks. Helps to have found a diet that I don't feel deprived too (dirty keto).
    I just keep looking at it like this... especially when I'm having cravings (which are few and far between now).
    Do I want to spend the rest of my life being miserable about my weight/appearance? Or do I want to spend this year or so losing weight and finally.. FINALLY being in a body I'm not ashamed of? Sure, I wish I could go out and eat all the junk food and all the carbs! But ya know.. those foods aren't going anywhere. Am I going to give in and eat junk food for that moment of happiness followed by guilt and shame and frustration? Or am I going to stick with this and be proud of myself for reaching my goals??
    We've already wasted too much time being unhappy about our appearance/weight. It's time to stop being miserable and start doing something about it. Stop making excuses to stop. Stop making excuses as to why you can't or why it's too hard.
    Yes YOU CAN DO IT. It may be hard at first, but it gets easier and then you look back and want to kick yourself in the butt for not doing it sooner.
    We all can do this, but we have to stop making excuses to go back to old habits.