Didn't know this was a THING? 8,400 cals a week

Options
Hi Guys, was reading through some threads tonight and came across a cheat meal thread and in this came up,

If you eat less for 5 days and then on the 6th day you can have a cheat meal , this is what i mean, im Currently 5.4 and i weigh 11 stone 9lbs my daily calories is 1200 , so thats 8,400 a week, some days i eat 100 or 200 calories less than 1200 , so ive calculated the less calories day and ive eaten 7,835 in a week so it actually means i have 565 calories still to eat? Is this true? Because today ive gone over my calories by 60 cals and i was freaking out so i wanted to know if this is true? Ive probably got a lot of calories to eat as i dont eat back my exercise calories and i dont really log it in. So is this the magic behind a cheat meal and that people still lose? because they still dont go over their cals?

Thanks

Replies

• JulesBooth
    JulesBooth Posts: 26 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Correct as far as I'm aware. You would find it easier if you logged everything including exercise. I don't usually go over my calories and if I have done loads of exercise I try and save some of the calories for the end of the week for my Chinese takeaway treat meal.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'll probably get wooed etc for this but since Sunday is my most high calorie day I've started saving the majority of my exercise calories and eating them in one day 2 Sunday's ago I ate almost 6k calories and still lost 1.8lb that week this Sunday I ate over 3k I haven't weighed yet this week though
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Cheating to me means eating over your calorie goal or not tracking calories at all.

Looking at your weekly calorie is something you can do and having a lower calorie day and applying those unused calories to another day is not cheating. It is still the same calorie deficit over the week.
    You could eat your 1,200 calories each day and eat at maintenance level one day a week.
    With MFP you are supposed to log exercise beyond your normal daily activity and eat more. If you are not pretty sedentary and exercise at all you should be able to eat more.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    catzzm9768 wrote: »
    Ive been ok on 1200 cals a few hunger pain here and there but they dont bother me as the hunger usually goes away in till its time for my dinner think my body is getting used to it now since ive been doing it for a week and a half on plan aswell which is a massive thing for me as before i cdnt resist some foods.

Just because you feel fine now doesn't mean that will continue. What is your daily activity like (job, etc)? What are you doing for exercise, how often and for how long? Faster isn't better when it comes to weight loss.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    If you are using the app, at least on Iphone, there is an option to look at Weekly View of Calories so you can have this already calculated for you. Many of us do follow a similar approach to what you're describing - where we look at the net calories over the week (I say Net calories so you understand that you should be eating back exercise cals) and maybe have some days which are lower and others that are higher - whether it is purposely saved up or just happens sort of naturally. Either way it shouldn't derail your progress, unless the extremes are very extreme and it sets off some sort of binge/restrict cycle.

That said, 1200 is already the lowest recommended calorie alotment for women - so going significantly below that intentionally, on a regular basis, really isn't advisable. Why aren't you eating back exercise calories? Are you sure 1200 is the right goal for you? What are your current stats, goal weight, and what rate of loss did you choose?

Regarding cheat meals - I don't really prescribe to that philosophy as I think it also can set up negative connotations about food and diet. I don't specifically restrict certain foods, I fit all foods I enjoy in on a regular basis - whether that be a serving of ice cream every evening, or pizza once a week - but neither of those things would be what I would consider cheating or a cheat meal.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You don't reset at midnight...and even if you were to go over 1200, you're still likely in a deficit...1200 is a pretty big deficit from maintenance. Given you profile picture, you don't look like you have much if any weight to lose...you certainly look to be at a healthy BMI...1200 is an aggressive weight loss target for someone that would be classified as obese. You might feel fine now, but the health risks associated with low calories and lack of body fat creep up...loss of period, hair falling out, etc.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You don't reset at midnight...and even if you were to go over 1200, you're still likely in a deficit...1200 is a pretty big deficit from maintenance. Given you profile picture, you don't look like you have much if any weight to lose...you certainly look to be at a healthy BMI...1200 is an aggressive weight loss target for someone that would be classified as obese. You might feel fine now, but the health risks associated with low calories and lack of body fat creep up...loss of period, hair falling out, etc.

OP has 20-30lbs to lose
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    If you are using the app, at least on Iphone, there is an option to look at Weekly View of Calories so you can have this already calculated for you. Many of us do follow a similar approach to what you're describing - where we look at the net calories over the week (I say Net calories so you understand that you should be eating back exercise cals) and maybe have some days which are lower and others that are higher - whether it is purposely saved up or just happens sort of naturally. Either way it shouldn't derail your progress, unless the extremes are very extreme and it sets off some sort of binge/restrict cycle.

..And it will also let you choose which day to start the week with (either 7 days ago or a specific day of the week) - a useful setting if you tend to eat heavier/lighter on specific days.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    1200 net might not be that aggressive (as long as they actually eat back exercise calories) if a shorter sedentary female at healthy-ish weight (it's possibly less than a 0.5 lb/wk deficit).
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    There's no magic, only math. Banking calories is definitely a thing. It enables you to keep you calorie goal so that you still lose weight.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    ..that being said, if you are not riding a desk all day and driving everywhere, then 1200 net most likely is too low.
  • catsbfit
    catsbfit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Ive been ok on 1200 cals a few hunger pain here and there but they dont bother me as the hunger usually goes away in till its time for my dinner think my body is getting used to it now since ive been doing it for a week and a half on plan aswell which is a massive thing for me as before i cdnt resist some foods.

Just because you feel fine now doesn't mean that will continue. What is your daily activity like (job, etc)? What are you doing for exercise, how often and for how long? Faster isn't better when it comes to weight loss.

I have an office job, and i try and do cardio 4 times a week for 1 hour but ive only done once this week. As ive had a cold.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

I have an office job, and i try and do cardio 4 times a week for 1 hour but ive only done once this week. As ive had a cold.

What are you doing for cardio?