Consider your eating disorder.

Options
Really think about it.

Do you obsess over your food?

Do you obsess over how much you eat or don't eat? Count calories obsessively and panic over going over?

Do you use food in inappropriate ways, such as for comfort when emotions overwhelm you?

Does the number on the scale cause you emotional distress?

Do you or have you used diet after diet to lose an amount of weight?

Consider your eating disorder. Scientifically it is proven that anorexia and bulimia are not the only eating disorders out there. Everything from college students trying to keep their figures by skipping all meals to drink their calories in beer in order to maintain a "party" lifestyle, to middle aged men and women trying fad diet after fad diet only to lose a small amount of weight and meet with failure and the emotional stain it causes. These thought patterns display eating disorder type patterns. People who battle with weight, whether obese or under weight, adopt this obsessive lifestyle and have a hard time seeing food for what it is. A fuel source for the body.

It is important to remember that although food can be highly enjoyable and sustain a healthy body, it can also be abused much like a drug in order to support a fragile happiness.

My word of warning to all of you, when you lose weight, try to learn more about food and what it does; how it affects your body for the better or worse. Because the key to losing the weight and keeping it off is a healthy relationship with food... then a healthy view of our own bodies. It is important to remember that you losing weight it a major success, because if we only see what we haven't lost or how far we need to go in order to feel better about ourselves.. it is likely we will fail.

Replies

• FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    ?

Do you use food in inappropriate ways, such as for comfort when emotions overwhelm you?

okay read that and you don't want to know where my mind went LOL
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    ?

okay read that and you don't want to know where my mind went LOL

O.o lol
  • sarad777
    sarad777 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am most definitely obsessed with counting calories. I also yo-yo between eating large amounts of junk food, then not enough the next day. I still think MFP helps keep me on the right track.
  • Lstrhi
    Lstrhi Posts: 132
    Options
    i think everyone should read this, especially the part about seeing food just as fuel for the body, not a reward or a punishment. great post.
  • gpacheco0768
    gpacheco0768 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree, you have to take the emotion out of food... Don't reward yourself with food, don't feel guilty when you "cheat..." It's OK to want that piece of cake! Just only eat one! I am down to the last 16 lbs to reach my goal, and I am just now starting to realize that my obsession with losing this weight is going to have to stop because I'll be DONE! So what next? I can't continue the "mental" diet, so I'll have to just enjoy the success of getting to a healthy weight! I did it slowly, so I believe I will keep it off forever!