Almost New

Options
Not my first rodeo with MFP but I am going to try to stick with it this time around. I am at my absolute heaviest with approx 100lbs to lose. Any nuggets of wisdom any one wishes to share?

Replies

• gizmo1166
    gizmo1166 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Same here, just resubmitted my weight!! Have been advised by my work GP that this site is really good for support. I'm in the right frame of mind I think to get back on it, but I do find it confusing with all the different advice around. Is sugar bad, are carbs bad, which fruits are good. But hey ho here we go again. Good luck jtmanchester, if you get advice maybe we can share and compare results!!
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!

You may already know this but just in case you don't-

My advice would be to learn portion control and moderation. Those two tools have been pertinent to my success. Remember that weight loss comes down to a calorie deficit. there's no need for fad diets or gimmicks .there's no need to go vegan ,vegetarian, keto ,low carb or whatever the fad of the week is just to lose weight. ( If you like those diets, go for it but it's not necessary) Weight loss comes from creating a calorie deficit.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Top tips:

- Calories are king, as long as you eat less calories than you burn, then you'll lose weight. You don't need to cut out certain foods or food groups unless that's a method of eating that you prefer
    - Invest in food scales and weigh everything solid. There's no excuse for measuring solid food in cups and it's really not very accurate.
    - Log everything. Even if you stray from your plan, or have a "bad" day. The only person you're cheating by not logging is yourself. Your body counts the calories either way.
    - Manage your expectations: you shouldn't be losing more than 2lbs a week max
    - Trust the process: Weigh loss isn't linear. Some weeks you'll lose nothing, others you'll lose loads. Don't be disheartened by the slow weeks, it'll balance itself out.
    - Misery doesn't burn calories. Sometimes it's much easier to chose a slower rate of weight loss and eat more calories than be miserable on very few calories
    - Read the stickies, they're helpful
    - If you're feeling down, check out the success stories. They're super motivating!

And that's all I can think for now, good luck