Fitness and Neuroma

Options
Has anyone here been able to find a non-surgical method of improving a Neuroma? I've had a problem in my right foot for nearly a year now and am going to both the chiropractor and an acupuncturist for it. I also do gentle ballet exercises. Although it is better than it was, I was hoping that someone would have advice.

I used to hike 3+ miles per hike and would sometimes do between 10 and 16 miles. I can barely walk a mile now without limping. I also missed all the summer hikes this past season, but would like to try to get back to normal without surgery.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    They sell metatarsal pads at any big drug store. I have them in my running shoes and they work excellent.
    You can also build some of your own with sports tape or cloth tape on your insoles.
    The metatarsal pads you buy seem to provide some over all padding that softens the impact of steps. When you build your own, the purpose is slightly different. (At least, that is my understanding.) You are so much creating a soft, thicker pad, you are creating a bump that lifts the part of your forefoot where the neuroma is, so that when your foot hits the ground the metatarsals get spread apart a little, and cannot rub close together, which is what irritates the nerve there and causes the tingling and discomfort.
    Get them NOW! Because as I understand it, the longer it goes on the harder it is to overcome. The irritated nerve gets calcified with insult, over time, and that calcification in itself closes the space the nerve needs and worsens the situation.
    Good luck.
    As I said, I run with the metatarsal pads and have no problems at all.
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    It it's Morton's Neuroma that you have, there isn't that much non-surgical that you can do to improve it. I've been diagnosed with it about 6-7 years ago, and I've had steroid shots between my 3rd/4th toe, I've worn metatarsal pads and nothing really helped. The reason why the pads didn't work for me was because I could never find the right spot in my shoe where they would provide relief rather than additional pain. Gentle stretching is good and wearing shoes that are wide enough also helps. Nothing triggers my neuroma faster than wearing shoes that are too narrow. Also, try massaging and applying ice in that area a few times a day. That helps me.

I do regular exercises, including walking, cardio, rebounding but I avoid anything that would have me stand on my toes like barre or ballet exercises.
  • GiddyupTim
    Options
    I second Alpha12's advice about narrow shoes. I believe that is what started mine.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    In addition to metatarsal pads, look for shoes with absolutely no raised heel. Almost all shoes have a raised heel, which bends the toe joints and puts more weight on the forefoot, which can cause Morton's Neuroma (reference). Choose shoes with a 0 mm "heel to toe drop" or "differential". Here are some examples of hiking shoes:
    https://www.zappos.com/zero-drop-hiking-boots
    For everyday walking, skateboard shoes, Vans, or Altras are fine. You might even consider Earth Shoes, which actually have a negative heel.
    :+1:
  • GiddyupTim
    Options
    Earth Shoes.
    Snort.
    I used to have a pair of Earth Shoes.
    They cannot possibly sell Earth Shoes anywhere anymore, except maybe used, on eBay, or maybe Portland.