What are you doing to address your mental health needs while shedding the pounds?

Options
I'll start. I am doing general counseling for nutrition and exercise. Anyone else have any tips or suggestions?

Replies

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Running
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Hiking
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I sometimes wonder if my routines and tracking and logging are the "good" end of the control spectrum that has anorexia and similar behaviours on the other.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Exercise is my main tool for dealing with my anxiety. I have recently started therapy, but for un-weight-loss-related things in my life.
  • jonjaxmom
    jonjaxmom Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Im taking time with other like minded women who are sharing the same kinds of struggles/goals and we talk about our ups and downs a lot. Then we workout and its quite therapeutic!!
  • tronjo2002
    tronjo2002 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    IMO, there are only two things when it comes to weight loss (health in general). 1. Knowledge about nutrition, exercise, etc. and 2. Mental health. Call it will power or whatever.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Mental health needs while losing weight.... well, I guess the structure of meal planning and logging is sometines very helpful to me. Logging lets me know I am eating the right amount for me and I don't need to be afraid to eat foods I like. Exercise can help manage stress.
  • speekee
    speekee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I find that exercise really is important regardless of weight loss. I had a painful short term injury so skipped the gym for a week. Found myself asking “why am I insuch a bad mood?” Short fuse, kind of sad and dissatisfied. Also didn’t have as much energy, bowels weren’t as regular....I was all messed up! I really need the 3 times a week gym sessions!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Regular exercise helps me with both physical and mental wellness
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Could be because I already have years of therapy and personal growth work under my belt, but all I want/need for mental health these days is exercise, preferably outdoors in nature.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    tronjo2002 wrote: »
    IMO, there are only two things when it comes to weight loss (health in general). 1. Knowledge about nutrition, exercise, etc. and 2. Mental health. Call it will power or whatever.
    Ha! I grew up fat, surrounded by adults with mental health problems, and being constantly told that I just needed "more willpower." From now on, whenever I hear or remember the phrase, I'm going to mentally replace "more willpower" with "less insanity." :)

As to addressing my current mental health, I have a support group here; and am walking outdoors for exercise, Vitamin D and endorphins. I'm also looking into seeing a therapist again for a while.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Changing one's mindset is very important for lasting changes. Many that have found themselves in the obese or morbidly obese category have an interesting relationship with food. That poor relationship develops for any number of reasons, and it takes time and effort to change it. There are lots of good books to read to help change that relationship. Even once you lose the weight, that "fat" person mindset can still be hidden below the surface.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Exercise and taking my meds.