Back of neck clicking?

Options
Hi everyone,

Sometimes while I'm walking I start getting a clicking in the back of my neck with every step. It's not painful, just weird. Does this happen to anyone else? Is there a name for it or way to prevent it or is it just something that happens sometimes?

Replies

• boffo
    boffo Posts: 22
    Options
    my neck got clicky when I started lifting, near where the barbell sits. its a good way to freak people out... learn to roll your head just right and you can pop it at will.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I know what you are talking about, mine used to do it. I'm not sure what it is or why it does that but the more water I drink and the more weight I lose the less it happens. It's almost gone. I think building muscle tone in my whole body (including shoulders, neck and back) has helped hold things in place.
  • amberlee2011
    Options
    I get that when I do weight lifting also. Not painful but doesn't sound too good either lol.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    i have "hyper joint mobility", which is where my tissue stretches further than it should.
    because of it ALL of me clicks..
    when i walk my knees click,
    if i pick up my arm it clicks,
    if i move my head my kneck clicks..
    if i stretch my neck foe exercise it clicks all the way down each side, which is disgusting!!
    my fingers click quite easily too....
    the only thing that helps it is exercise... so before u got out id do some kneck stretches, and maybe look left to right, really fast, etc.. it some exercise!

Edit... sometimes when i turn my body my pelvis clicks!
  • bbjnkidz
    bbjnkidz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been involved in an accident? I have some severe neck issues due to a few accidents. Mine clicks all the time, and I have bone spurs on my cervical spine. If you have something like that, you should NOT try to adjust or "pop" your neck. If it isn't painful - this probably isn't your case, but if you have ever had a neck injury, it may not be a bad idea to have it checked out - just to be safe.
  • saadler
    saadler Posts: 116
    Options
    Have you ever been involved in an accident? I have some severe neck issues due to a few accidents. Mine clicks all the time, and I have bone spurs on my cervical spine. If you have something like that, you should NOT try to adjust or "pop" your neck. If it isn't painful - this probably isn't your case, but if you have ever had a neck injury, it may not be a bad idea to have it checked out - just to be safe.

I don't think I've ever had a neck injury. I was rear ended very lightly back when I was around 17, but I never had any pain or anything after. So I doubt it's that. I do have lower back pain on occasion, which I theorize is genetic, but I'm not sure that affects my neck at all.